Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Where to put the spare tire

I have a 2009 Feista 34h (gas) which does not have a spare tire or a place to put it. Looking under the coach at the rear there is a lot of space between the frame rails and the read hitch bar. Does someone make a rack to fit inot that space? Maybe with a lowering cable like pickup trucks have? Maybe something like I see mounted on semi trucks trailers. Anyone ever done anything like this or just wait for service to come with a tire and replace it on the spot.
MontereyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontereyJack View Post
I have a 2009 Feista 34h (gas) which does not have a spare tire or a place to put it. Looking under the coach at the rear there is a lot of space between the frame rails and the read hitch bar. Does someone make a rack to fit inot that space? Maybe with a lowering cable like pickup trucks have? Maybe something like I see mounted on semi trucks trailers. Anyone ever done anything like this or just wait for service to come with a tire and replace it on the spot.
Most people wait for road service to take care of the problem. There are some custom made racks out there if you choose. A good welder/fabricator can fix you up.
My old '88 has spare, jack, and tools from the factory. Are the slide outs causing the deletion of these basic needs?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Not a slide out space problem just being cheep it might have been an option I bought it used
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Not a slide out space problem just being cheep it might have been an option I bought it used
If you have room in a compartment, you can buy the spare rim and tire and put in there. Do you have the crawl through basement model?
J
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

I do not want to put it in a compartment I do have one pass thru but it is filled with other stuff
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Ford F-53 chassis and 235/80 22.5 tires. that size tire will not fit between the chassis frame. We had a rack maid just behind the gas tank. It sits under the frames and it hinges so we drop it to get to the tire. We don't have a rim. Some people have posted the bought a tire rack in a junk yard for a ford truck.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I do not want to put it in a compartment I do have one pass thru but it is filled with other stuff
I've seen one person post that they carried an unmounted tire under the bed. They had the lift up bed with storage below. I like the space under the MH better.
I have a welder in L.A. that can build anything, so I would have him hook me up.
J
Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Put $400 in a envelope and tape it in the pass thru compartment.
When and if you ever need a tire. Call your ERS to bring you one and then get the envelope out to pay for it.

My bet is your tires will age out first before you need another one.
And that $400 doesn't have to be thrown out because of age.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just having the correct tire and rim in the middle of nowhere at a bad time is worth it.
J
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has a rack under it but I don't use it TO HARD to get bolts loose. Now I just keep a tire in back compartment. My tires are CHEAP compared to most of the rigs I hear about on here. The problem I had was trying to get one small enough most road services deal with the bigger tires and don't carry my size.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:

Jack,

If you have a Ford F-53 chassis and 235/80Rx22.5G tires, they won't fit anywhere in storage areas. In my humble opinion, they can be found in many tire stores throughout the nation. Most tow vehicles can't change tires on rims and balance so you may need to be towed into a tire store anyway. They are heavy and use weight capacity you may not have, to say nothing about your valuable pocket book in fabricating a rack below.

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon motor homes, such as I drive, are noted for a lot of rear "Clearance" Still.. I'd not want to strap a spare under there.

Now, there are companies that make a hitch adapter that will hoist the spare up over your tow bar.. Here are a few URL's for you to look at:

The Winch: Lippert Components Towable RV Accessories

Alas I can not find the one I'm looking for, it goes on a 2" receiver and hoists a 22.5 inch tire up over the tow bar. but I can't find it.