Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #29

I'll walk around later and look. That might be the one that I saw three guys go out and look at yesterday afternoon and then roll it into the shop. Like I said, there's a lot of rigs here. What state are the plates from?
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Well guys.. I finally tracked down my rep. He wasn't answering his phone again this morning, but I talked to the service department "operator" and she tracked him down and forced him to answer the phone.

They can't locate any parts for the TV frame, so he said he would ask the paint department for a repair estimate. Wait... he hasn't already asked them? Nope. And then said "it'll take a couple of days for them to get over and look at it." Really? They can't get a guy to look at a rig that's been at the shop since September 18th? (FYI-- I sent pictures of this problem MONTHS ago... they had plenty of time to do a parts hunt prior to my arrival.)

And that other issue that I mentioned? It was a modification that would allow the water pump to suck in the pink winterization fluid, since now that I live in MI, I will have to winterize for the first time. At first he never heard of such a thing... but when I provided him with a long email on how Fleetwood had done this already for another customer, suddenly he had heard of it. Of course, he hadn't gone through the trouble to price that out either, so that's another "wait and see" sort of deal I guess.

So I'm in another holding pattern for pricing on these two things. If I go for the repairs, that'll put me in another holding pattern to actually get the work done.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds to me like REV's rapid expansion and demands on the Decatur facility have taken their toll. We always enjoyed terrific service from them, pre Monaco days.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
I'll walk around later and look. That might be the one that I saw three guys go out and look at yesterday afternoon and then roll it into the shop. Like I said, there's a lot of rigs here. What state are the plates from?
Thanks bud! I appreciate that!!

Plates are from TX... I haven't re-plated it yet in MI.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #33

It's parked out in the west lot against the fence, plugged in.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
It's parked out in the west lot against the fence, plugged in.
THANK YOU!!! Good to know that it's plugged in. Hopefully they will be taking it back to the shop soon to handle the winterization mod that I asked them to handle, and that I approved a few minutes ago.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi guys. Well... I'm still waiting! At this point, I believe that all official "work" has been completed, but I am told by my service rep (Ted) that their paint manager still hasn't figured out if, how, or when he will be able to get the metal trip piece that surrounds my external TV, and he's also not able to provide a price estimate for the work, assuming he ever finds that part.

My rig has been at the Fleetwood service center since September 18th, making it 17 business days plus the Saturdays and Sundays inbetween (not sure if they work on Saturdays?) I can't help but feel like if I were camping on their lot, looking over their shoulders, I would receive more expedient service. I mean... even a freakin' quote should be doable at the factory where these rigs are built, wouldn't you think?

I can tell you that I'm definitely disappointed, and loosing that "feel-good" feeling about owning a Fleetwood.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #36

Stat
Having just returned from the service center I don't share your opinion. BTW my coach was there for 5 weeks, the subvenders (furniture) took their time getting some replacement parts. Is there some event upcoming that you need the coach for? Did you relay that info to the people there?
What is very important to do when there is take the time and go over the coach with the service rep and make sure they know exactly what you want done.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Stat
Having just returned from the service center I don't share your opinion. BTW my coach was there for 5 weeks, the subvenders (furniture) took their time getting some replacement parts. Is there some event upcoming that you need the coach for? Did you relay that info to the people there?
What is very important to do when there is take the time and go over the coach with the service rep and make sure they know exactly what you want done.
Wow... 5 weeks is a long time. I suppose waiting on third-party for parts is somewhat understandable, unless they already knew what parts you would be ordering, in which case they could pre-order them and let you know when they arrive.

But yes, I had communicated all of my issues with Fleetwood months before dropping it off, including photographs of the necessary parts that are now being sought after. I also have a very long string of emails back and forth between (initially) myself and their service scheduler so that they'd know what was necessary, and then (after drop off) myself and my service rep.

Unfortunately I'm not retired yet, so I can't just sit with the RV while they work on it, so all of my communications have been by phone and email. I even had to drop it off over a weekend, so there's been zero face-2-face. I believe that's part of the problem... If they don't see you, then you don't exist.

The MOST frustrating part of this for me is their completely lack of communication. I have to bug, and bug, and bug them to get a status update, which is usually by email and then 1 short sentence long (ex. "waiting on paint manager to provide an estimate.") I could show you copies of DAILY emails that my buddy gets when his RV is in for service at another manufacturer, where they detail exactly what was done on his coach that day, and what is yet to be completed. It's not even comparable.

As for a pending event, yes, we had scheduled our last Fall trip in the RV that we communicated with Fleetwood, but now I canceled it because I can't even venture a guess when I'll have a clue on what the approximate costs may be to this last repair, let alone how long it will take them to complete it.

At this point, my next concern is whether or not I'll get it back in time to winterize it and put it into storage! I suppose if it freezes on their lot, it's on their dime too? Nah. That'll be my problem.

I'm glad to hear that you had good service. It provides hope that when I need to take it in for some other issue in the future, maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #38

I was facing your issue about winterizing and my rep said as long as they know about it they will winterize the coach for you. Do you really expect them to order parts for a coach they have not seen. My primary source for contact after dropping the coach off was e mail. If you had been there during the week you'ld appreciate just how busy they are there. The service writer are the sole point of contact with owners and they are VERY BUSY PEOPLE.
I spent some face time with my service writer and showed them my issues. After that I left and maintained contact by E mail until the day before completion when we also did some phone communication.
FWIW the new service center office complex is now open. Lots of TV's to kill the time even a couple of bumper pool tables and card tables. When you sign in you now get a pass that will open the door to the rest rooms and the free laundry facility. There is also a gas fire pit by the entrance you can use in the evenings. I did get a wifi signal at the coach in the lot, not too reliable last week but I expect that will improve.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad that your service work there went so well Brenda and Al. I'm getting my coach out of there now, without the work completed.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
How utterly disappointing! Wow - you can't say they didn't have a chance to make things right. Dropped the ball, IMO. Are they going to figure it out and have you come back or did they tell you SOL? If you do go back, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, I'd ask for a tech rep from the paint department to lead your issues for you. I think that is one reason we fared so well as we had paint issues and they assigned us to him. He had to coordinate with the non-paint people just as your non-paint person had to coordinate with the paint group (and didn't make it very far with them, apparently).

Sorry to learn you are still stuck with your TV frame/bubbling, rusting issue.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencebuster View Post
How utterly disappointing! Wow - you can't say they didn't have a chance to make things right. Dropped the ball, IMO. Are they going to figure it out and have you come back or did they tell you SOL? If you do go back, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, I'd ask for a tech rep from the paint department to lead your issues for you. I think that is one reason we fared so well as we had paint issues and they assigned us to him. He had to coordinate with the non-paint people just as your non-paint person had to coordinate with the paint group (and didn't make it very far with them, apparently).

Sorry to learn you are still stuck with your TV frame/bubbling, rusting issue.
Thanks for your sympathy. It does suck, but the decision was mine and I'll own it.

The reasons that I'm pulling it out are two-fold. First... they don't think they can get the part for 4-6 weeks, and then of course it'll take however long it takes them to attend to the removal of the original, installation, and then painting. Given how long it's taken just to get to a quote, I can't fathom this taking anything less than 2 more months of waiting. That puts my coach in Decatur as the weather turns cold... forcing me to pay them to winterize it, and it presents a potential return-drive in bad weather. More importantly though, if I wait that long I will not have a winter storage option in MI unless I'm willing to pay for an empty storage slot for the next XX months... The financials that this timing require just make no sense.

Second, I believe the price quote is too high because they have chosen to replace parts that really don't need to be replaced because that's easier than making the repair. Their quote did cut me a break on the painting itself, but it still came in pretty high for what this is.

I will take the coach to a body shop locally in the Spring to see what they can do. I may have to return to Decatur for this work in the Spring or Summer if the local shops can't do this, or can't do it at a better price. The rust is certainly there, and getting worse, but it's not at the point where parts need to be replace. My local challenge will be finding a reputable body shop near my home, since I only moved to MI a few months ago.

Dang... a 3 year old coach that gets washed every trip, stored indoors, and two waxes per year already has rust bubbling up through the paint. Freakin' shame, that is.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
It is tough to swallow. Did you live near the Gulf with that salty sea air?

We can recommend Superior Collision Center | Dealer | Brighton, Michigan for body work. Have known several RVers that have used their services. Unfortunately, I had a run in with a snow fence the first winter we had our '10 Discovery and needed to replace, fix, paint the last two rear passenger side compartment doors. Beautiful work.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fleetwood