Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #1

Why are they so hard to find?

I'm currently looking at new class a diesel motorhomes. I've narrowed it down to Newmar Dutch Star, Entegra, Winnebago tour and American coach. Why does it seem so hard to find an American coach on a lot to look at? Even dealer websites I look at might show just a handful of models. Do they just not make that many? It's going to take American coach or if the running simply because I never see them.
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

It's a big, expensive decision. You don't give a time frame for your purchase but I would suggest traveling to see the coaches. All but the Winnie are built in northern Indiana so I would go take factory tours and watch them being built. There is the big Hershey show every fall and the big Tampa Super Show every January. Those are great places to see all the coaches.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not as many built and expensive to floor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello,
I notice you are in TN. Have you checked Tennessee RV in Knoxville? They just had the newest American Coach arrive this month. I think it was the Tradition, not sure. Maybe give them a call if you haven't already.

865-933-7213

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It's a big, expensive decision. You don't give a time frame for your purchase but I would suggest traveling to see the coaches. All but the Winnie are built in northern Indiana so I would go take factory tours and watch them being built. There is the big Hershey show every fall and the big Tampa Super Show every January. Those are great places to see all the coaches.
Purchase time is 2-3 years at most. I plan to buy a lightly used one that is new now. Most other dealerships have plenty of Newmars, Entegras or Winnie Tours to look at yet I see hardly any American Coaches on dealer lots. Just curious why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not as many built and expensive to floor.
True but there are plenty of other brands on lots. Hard to purchase something I can't see or find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hello,
I notice you are in TN. Have you checked Tennessee RV in Knoxville? They just had the newest American Coach arrive this month. I think it was the Tradition, not sure. Maybe give them a call if you haven't already.

865-933-7213

Regards,
W.D.
I've spoken with them before, sometimes they have maybe one on the lot. So many other dealers have several of the brands on the lots. Why so few American Coaches on the lots?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
I've spoken with them before, sometimes they have maybe one on the lot. So many other dealers have several of the brands on the lots. Why so few American Coaches on the lots?
Could be any number of reasons.

Perhaps the dealer has to pay for them up front or perhaps there are not that many sold because of price point.

Good luck in your search and whatever you purchase will be perfect for you.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
.... Perhaps there sold as quick as built. It's a fine line to build all you can VS sell all you build. and at the same time not flood the market with excess. Sometimes you can make more $$ per unit by building less, using less people and resources.

I've driven by Dixie RV in Florida a while back and they had a few, as well lazy days in Tampa...I also seen a few at Tom Johnson in Concord NC, but I understand that's now a CW location?

Why not look at AC web and call some dealers?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
.... Perhaps there sold as quick as built. It's a fine line to build all you can VS sell all you build. and at the same time not flood the market with excess. Sometimes you can make more $$ per unit by building less, using less people and resources.

I've driven by Dixie RV in Florida a while back and they had a few, as well lazy days in Tampa...I also seen a few at Tom Johnson in Concord NC, but I understand that's now a CW location?

Why not look at AC web and call some dealers?
I've checked quite a few dealer websites, and I understand they might not be fully up to date but a lot only have one or two on their website. The AC checks a lot of boxes for us but I have yet to be able to walk in a new one.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
I'm currently looking at new class a diesel motorhomes. I've narrowed it down to Newmar Dutch Star, Entegra, Winnebago tour and American coach. Why does it seem so hard to find an American coach on a lot to look at? Even dealer websites I look at might show just a handful of models. Do they just not make that many? It's going to take American coach or if the running simply because I never see them.
Hi Matthew, I feel your pain. I was a first time RV buyer. It took me two years of looking all the time. I'd fine one I liked, go see it in person and find something wrong. I'm picky. Back and forth between gas and diesel. I found the one I really liked. Them finding it was tough. But patience paid off in the long run. The one I wanted and the price was great. I bought from an individual. I have no regrets on my purchase. Just stay the course and use Google to find the coach you want. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV trader.com has New and used.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #11

For perspective recent recall had 525 affected coaches from what I read and looked to have been 3 years of production with I think all models. (Was for screws on entry step.)

In Tampa this winter at the show there were a number of coaches and they seemed to cover most if not all models and floor plans.

We had a much longer drive to dealer than to factory from where we live and they do seem to have limited dealers spread over the country. A quick look at their web site and it looks like you may have a bit of a drive to see/test drive a coach.

If you can afford the time as suggested above might check out the factory tours however you can not be sure you would see the model you are interested in even on them. Plus you might contact dealers to see when they might have another coach coming in.

I understand the problem of not being able to test drive as that was one of the reasons we dropped Entegra from our list when we were looking last summer. Not seeing a coach would be even worse.

Tom
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
...There is the big Hershey show every fall...

2X - we did the Hershey show 2 years before we bought our first motor home. It was well worth the time and expense. All the manufacturers and all their models in one place.

--Rod
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #13

I'm hoping to do the Hershey show and Tampa show, didn't make it in January to Tampa, maybe next year.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They are hard to find in the used market, because I have found that the good ones go VERY quickly. I was looking for a 2012 - 2014 Revolution (or an older Eagle) in good condition for over 4 years. Literally, over 4 years!

As luck would have it, we wound up with a new one and got a better deal than I could have possible imagined. (So, all that waiting and watching was at least worth it in the long run! ). No dealers near me, so we had to travel to get the deal.

American Coach has always been at the top of my list even just on looks alone - just love them. The older ones still look fantastic. Just very classic lines and designs. We are coming up on 1 year of ownership and it has truly been a fantastic coach.

I wish there was a dedicated American Coach spot on this forum like Entegra and Newmar have, so that basic info (and other owners) aren't so hard to find. The only real place for AC-related info is on a Yahoo owners site (which I find hard to use since it's not like a traditional message board - but that might just be me since I don't use a Yahoo email address).

Just to further chime in -- the Factory customer service has been absolutely fantastic too; answering the millions of questions we've had as new diesel owners.

There will be the full AC product line at Hershey to look at. They typically bring one model of each, so you may not see the floorplan you like. Depending on what part of the country you're in (and what model you want), just keep looking at the larger dealerships for a quality trade (and sites like RV Trader, etc.) to see what turns up from private owners listing their coaches.

Best of luck to you!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote