Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Why do folks 'not like' Fleetwoods?

My girl and I just purchased a to us, very cool '97 Fleetwood Southwind with a tag-axle. We see some issues but overall it seems nice and we're having the issues addressed...it doesn't require the $10K one person had recommended someone have to add to a $75K coach they were considering...we paid a third of that with only 13000 miles and nice shape all over and under...

...anyway - in the article I just read the folks were asking what the 'best' DP was for $75K and people were offering opinions. It was interesting to me because they are cool and one day maybe we would consider one so I was reading and then several folks in a row said - "Don't buy a Fleetwood" and "Stay away from Fleetwood".

I did a quick search to find bad reviews on them, and beyond that from what I've read on this forum and others, RV's are notoriously problemsome - some of them anyway, and when you have a problem - it's a real problem...

Just was wondering what you folks thought...We love our RV - it has been in the shop for 2 weekends (Gas gauge not working, battery drain, just going over all the stuff) and we really miss going out...

...anyway - thanks for reading my rant...We love our Fleetwood!
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood in general had a lot of quality issues in their last few years. You bought a 14 year old fiver not a 6 year old diesel pusher. My suggestions have to do with the cost of parts and upkeep for a diesel pusher.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
My brother, dad and uncle all have a Fleetwood in your era. No problems and they are very happy. However they are gasser not the diesel.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you and I meant no disrespect and understand the difference - diesel to gas - 6 vs 14 years old - We see all sorts of 'weird' things on the RV for sure. The wiring seems so-so, but the frame and coach (for what we paid) seem to be 'nice' vs 'podunk' - materials and workmanship could be better but aren't shoddy...anyway, I'm simply interested in RV's now and am obviously watching for "did I get a good" deal or whatever...thank you for clarifying...I do one day have eyes for a 'nice' DP...
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far I'm pretty happy with mine, things may happen to it in the future but it goes without saying it could happen to any make or model.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 94 Fleetwood and love it, would love to have one with a diesel and slides but no issues here, great price for a great coach.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

I have a 2005 southwind we have owned since new we love it and we have 60000 miles. Ford chassis been full time 4 years,
What has broke in 6 1/2 years . ahhh nothing love our fleetwood
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
.. You bought a 14 year old fiver.
A Southwind is a gas motorhome.

IMO, most mfr's have QC issues somewhere along the line. FW no more than any other in its class. Problems are evident more so lately it seems, or at least more people are voicing complaints. I think it's also a sign of the times - employees taking less pride in their work or having to cut corners because of mfr imposed work practices (i.e. produce more in less time, building with inferior products, rush deadlines...etc.). Plus it's easier to find complaints with internet search engines.

In its day, FW was one of the larger (if not the largest) motorcoach, towables & mfr'd housing mfrs. Just by sheer volume, the statistics would mean more instances for problems, I would think.

All that said, if you're happy with your FW, then that's all that matters. We're very happy with ours.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1989 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and what a piece of junk. It leaked like it had a sieve fro the roof. Flopwod replaced one side under warranty due to delamination and we eventaully had to have BOTH side replaced due to delamination.

Later we had a 1995 Fleetwood Avion 36.5M 5th wheel and it was well built. The problems with it were the main slide, but that was later in it's life and before Flopwood fleetwoodized the Avion line too much. Later models had lots of issues, mostly related to frame issues and poor quality interior work.

We now have a 1989 Avion (Fleetwood) which was a great trailer. Fleetwood had pretty much left them alone and they still built a quality trailer.

Later years, a friend has a 1997 that has had one side wall replaced by Flopwood and there is some delamination now. Thei QC has been spotty and up and down. I guess it depends if you got a Monday or a Friday RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most mfg have an introductory line and luxury line of tag, fivers, and MHs. Some even have a line of RVs in between the two. One would expect the introductory line to have lower cost appliances, materials, etc which would in turn contribute to more repairs if used the same amount of time a luxury coach is used.

FW has all three lines in tag, fivers, & MHs. As someone already said, that would make them a target for more complaints by sheer number of units sold.

Personally, I think most of the service related problems with RVs can be attributed to misuse, abuse, and poor maintenance. Sounds like someone that has never had a problem, right? Not so fast, most of my service related problems with our coach (and I've had my share) can be attributed to my ignorance and lack of patience.

Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first coach was a used 90 FW Bounder and we loved it and decided to stay with FW and we bought an 05 Southwind, and we love it!
Does it have issues, had a few and we worked through them, to me it's still a great coach!
All of them have issues,from the low end to the top they all have their problems. Nothing in this day and age is perfect !

Good luck and many happy miles your coach!Enjoy it!

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Firstpoet,

I've had 17 motorhomes, throughout the years, starting with a 1972 Winnie Indian. Driving down the road, the driver’s sidewall bowed out so much that I could see the road below my seat. I've had leakers, creekers, salvaged, about 6 different manufacturers and I've found the best to be Fleetwood Class A's.
Throughout the years, construction and motorhome quality became better due to RVIA and Canadian standards so when I purchased my only brand new motorhome, a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35E, I couldn't believe how beautiful and well constructed Fleetwood's Bounder line was. There will always be minor problems to overcome but overall, my money has been put where my mouth is and it is my hope that Fleetwood weathers the economic storm as they have done and continue to do.

May you have wonderful and carefree trips down the RV road of life,

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had two Fleetwood's a 31ft class c and now a class A 35E and I couldn't be happier. Sure I've had some minor problems but they have been small and Fleetwood took care of them. Our next MH will be a DP and I bet it will be a Fleetwood to unless I win a few million dollars then it will be a American Eagle, but then again that's a Fleetwood to right?
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Comparison

We've had several RV's in the last 40 years. The worst was a Honey Class C but the issues we had were related to the Ford chassis for the most part. Suspension, brakes, engine & transmission. The roof leaked after a couple of years but that was easy to fix.

FW had a bad rep several years ago, but today their quality seems to be better than most. I wish the same could be said of Dometic/Norcold, Attwood, Lippert and the rest. Seems that quality goes down as more and more manufacturing goes 'offshore'.

One of my buddies just bought a Heartland fiver. The landing legs failed the first trip out (gears made in China). They have constant electrical problems. My brother-in-law lost his house when his fiver caught fire on his storage pad. Over a million in damages! The fire marshal said it was probably the waterheater.

We all, regardless of the brand & model, have the same stuff under the covers. Water pumps, slide actuators, refer, stove, waterheater etc. They all buy from the same suppliers.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Thanks for reading.

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland