RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Why doesn't this pump work?

If I understand correctly one should be able to use this hose section when, for example, winterizing the fresh water system? Thought it should be pretty straight-forward but just could not get it to suck anything when attempting to use it. No matter which way the valve was turned it did not work. Wonder if perhaps I'm missing something?

tymzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #2

Kinda hard to see how its all plumbed, that filter is in the way.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

You should have to open a valve in the line you put in the antifreeze and close a valve in the fresh water line so the pump doesn’t get any city water or water tank water.
There could be a single combination valve that does the same thing.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That "T" hose does not appear to be in the pump suction line, so would not suck anything from a jug or whatever. Hard to be sure with that filter in the way, but the pump suction line (goes to the fresh water tank) appears to be on the other side of the pump. A better picture of further description of the lines in/out of the pump would help.

If you had a winterizing inlet, it would normally be set up as alank described. There would be a diverter valve in the pump intake line, and turning the diverter valve shuts off the hose to the pump and connects the hose or port where the antifreeze jug attaches.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

My setup is similar. I just winterized yesterday. Make sure you take the filter out first. I turned the oval shaped handle so it was inline with the siphon hose. I turned the water pump on and opened a faucet and it worked.
arnold931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup, won't prime without opening a faucet to let the air escape.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Ok, finally getting back to this. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, it's been unseasonably warm so winterizing chores got put off a bit.

Thanks for the input from all. Here's what I hope is a better image:

Reading through the other responses as well. The "prime" issue re. opening a faucet is a good place to start. Thought we did that, but now thinking back not so sure.

Will report what we find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That "T" hose does not appear to be in the pump suction line, so would not suck anything from a jug or whatever. Hard to be sure with that filter in the way, but the pump suction line (goes to the fresh water tank) appears to be on the other side of the pump. A better picture of further description of the lines in/out of the pump would help.

If you had a winterizing inlet, it would normally be set up as alank described. There would be a diverter valve in the pump intake line, and turning the diverter valve shuts off the hose to the pump and connects the hose or port where the antifreeze jug attaches.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Better photo, but I still can't tell which is the intake side of the pump. If that T and valve is in the intake side, then the second hose (the one that doesn't have an open end) must continue on to the fresh tank, but I cannot determine where it goes. Maybe the simple way to determine that is whether water squirts out of that loose hose end when the pump is on. If it's on the pump outlet side it squirts; if the inlet side it sucks. If neither of those, it probably does nothing (which is wht you said initially).
Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

That pump and hose assembly looks goo to me. If the pump puts water out through a faucet from the tank , all you should need to do is stick that hose in a jug of antifreeze, turn the valve 90 degrees and open a faucet to get antifreeze instead of water.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, it sure looks like a winterizing intake line, but he says it doesn't seem to work. And thus the questions...
Old 10-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

Gary, did you notice in one of the above posts, he said he wasn’t sure they opened a faucet. Having the pump “ON”, hose in antifreeze, and valve properly set, won’t suck much antifreeze until you open a faucet.
Will wait to see what his results are.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Gary, did you notice in one of the above posts, he said he wasn’t sure they opened a faucet. Having the pump “ON”, hose in antifreeze, and valve properly set, won’t suck much antifreeze until you open a faucet.
Will wait to see what his results are.
Sorry to be getting back to this so late...

In the end it turned out to be two issues: One not having an open faucet was one of the keys and beyond that, the valve itself was not working properly. When that valve assembly was removed and inspected, you could see that somehow it had become misaligned. A little work with a pair of pliers to get the valve openings aligned properly-- and it worked as it should.

Big relief that it turned out to be a combination of relatively simple things.

Thanks to all for the input!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #13

The valve in my 08 Pace Arrow was installed backwards. Took my a while to figure out but I got it!