Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Will my 1997 Southwind be able to make it up and down the mountains in New Mexico?

I love my Southwind, but not when it comes to hills; she can barely do 35 mph going uphill in the Texas Hill Country. I want to work the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year but am hesitant to attempt the journey from Texas in this coach. I'd like to get advice from experienced drivers so I can either make plans to go or start saving for a different rig. "Granny" is a Ford gas 7.5L EFI V-8 engine on a Ford chassis, 34 ft., no auxiliary braking system yet, 4-5 mpg, towing a CR-V.
Funbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Ford V10 runs (crawls) through the mountains with no problems.. (I have the early V10, 275 hp)

I generally force a downshift and hold a speed / gear that will give me 3500 - 4000 rpm without having the gas pedal on the floor all the time while making climbs. There are some high altitude climbs where I've done them in 1st gear at 25 mph.. (Eastbound I-70, 11,000 ft, Eisenhower tunnel)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

On a good day you should get no less than 6 MPG with your CRV in tow. Your 4-5 MPG would indicate a problem.
My 7.5 (460) 95 Bounder 32H with CRV in tow will do 7 MPG or better on a good day.
You should be able to negotiate any road in the USA with you rig.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Honestly, I would not worry how fast your coach goes up mountain grades. I drive our 1996 gas coach by rpm on cool days and by the transmission temperature gauge on hot days.

Our 7.4L Chevy has max torque at 1400 and stay pretty flat until 3200 rpm. So I drive it no faster than 3200rpm climbing grades. If the transmission temperature climbs over 160 degrees (measured after the cooler, with the cooler fan on) I slow her down.

I believe the 460 Ford has a higher torque number but around 2500 rpm. I would double check I drive accordingly.

Tags
southwind, wind