Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Window Condensation

I have a 29' 2001 Fleetwood Jamboree that my wife, daughter and I full time in. We have tried a lot of things, including the dehumidifiers and such, as well as leaving the overhead vents open and windows cracked open a bit. But we still get a good build up of condensation on the windows that drip down the walls to the floor, as well as the pillows and bedding. This primarily happens with the windows in the back bedroom, the overcab bedroom and the drivers cab windows. Any other recomendations or suggestions anyone may have, are welcome.

Thanks,
Daniel
hwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the days when I spent more time reading than fixing, I read the Fleetwood manual that came with the coach. It said not to live even semi-permanently in the coach because if you did, you'd get 'zactly what you're getting. And its caused by body oil evaporation, or something like that. This is what happens when you exhale onto a piece of glass. My suggestion would to 'air it out' for a week or so to get rid of all the humidity, then keep some windows open at all times in the sleeping areas, like you do now, but AFTER getting the rig 'cleansed' of all the humid stale air you have now. PS: check the manual, see what they say.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
RE: Window Condensation

Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately our rv didn't come with the manual when we bought it used. But I found out today that I can possibly order one from Fleetwood, so I am going to try and contact them this week.

Thanks,
Daniel/Vick
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The human body expels moisture in every breath and through the skin by evaporation....nothing to do with oil.

You need to make every effort to minimize moisture in the RV by venting when cooking, showering, wipe down the shower, leave a vent (about 1/4 to 1/2") open in the sleeping area.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey iceman - as a proud Italian I can assure you that body oils are secreted from every orifice. In teenagers in particular. I bet they don't evaporate, though!
(yuk yuk)
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
RE: Window Condensation

Very good information. I will make sure to get everyone to start wiping things down after showers and all. Cooking, we always have the fan running, and 1 to 2 windows open, depending on outside temps. Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. You have all been very helpful in helping me figure out some solutions.

Daniel/Vick
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

Your problem could be cured with a small 20 pint dehumidifier! They are available from most major appliance stores as well as Wal Mart, Sears, Home Depot etc.
Designed specifically for removing moisture they do the trick and simply have to have the collection bucket emptied 1 or 2 times daily depending on the humidity level.
As has been mentioned, the breath you and your family exhaust adds considerable moisture to the interior of your unit, probably adding more moisture than cooking and showers.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When ever you are using the shower, run the vent in the bathroom and open the vent in the kitchen. I run the vents open for 30 minutes after showering and wipe the shower down with the wash cloth before getting out of the shower. DO NOT use the drying towel to wipe down the shower. All you are doing is adding moisture to the towel and then letting it dry in the RV, and still the moisture is in the RV. The idea is to remove the moisture. Fresh air, fresh air, fresh air and more fresh air. Need I say more............
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
When using propane for heat your stuck with moister, especially if using a catalic heater. Propane is about 90+ water.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
When using propane for heat your stuck with moisture, especially if using a catalytic heater. Propane is about 90+ water.
This is a common misconception. All of the RV furnaces draw air from outside into the combustion chamber and exhaust the combusted exhaust back outside. The inside air is drawn over the hot chamber to heat the air. There is no contact with the combustion process.

Propane does not contain water. In the combustion process, you get some water vapor forming along with the other combustion gases such as CO (if there is incomplete combustion) and CO2.

With a catalytic heater you will get some moisture generated within the space. The exact byproducts depend on the catalyst used.

Propane is C3H8 or 3 carbon atoms and 8 hydrogen atoms.

The combustion process is:
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use a squeeze in the shower, get the water out of the MH. Use a dehumidifier. If you have a dryer dry the towels or hang them outside if you can.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you everyone. Well, I will continue with the windows/vents being open, like usual. Picked up a squeegee for the shower walls and also picked up a 12 volt and a 120 volt dehumidifier to use depending on whether we have hook ups or not. So far, so good. It has helped a lot. Thanks again every one.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

3 people breathing and maybe the stove burning in a small volume of space are going to generate a lot of water vapor in the air. Add in vapor from showers and sink usage and you get a lot of condensation. Ventialtion (including fans) or a dehumidifier is the only solution.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote