Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #1

Window shade removal

New to me is a 2003 American Eagle Q 40. The shades need restringing- how do I remove the shades? Help!
Also I have CB radio antennas - is the CB radio hidden behind the dash- I noticed yesterday there is a solar panel mounted on the roof- any idea how it’s connected to the batteries?
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Chaps
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #2

Those shades are held up by two screws. You can't see the screw heads as they are embedded into the last layer or couple layers of the fabric and plastic pleats so you need to open (pull it down) the shade to access the very top. The screws go vertically into the cover thingy...is it called a valance? The screws usually have Philips heads. You have to search for the little hole in the fabric and stick your drill with Philips driver into them, then back them out slowly. It's difficult to find the screws then remove them so I marked the fabric for when I put them back. Once the screws are out, there's a plastic device that grips the shade top right in the middle of the shade. You rock the back of the shade assembly down and unsnap it. Shade should come out. It's handy to have that plastic snap thing there as it holds the shade nicely when you are reversing the process. But if it breaks, no big deal.

Here's my ad free blog article about the work. It's kinda annoying to do, but knowing how to do it is helpful too I think: Day/Nite Shades & Pleated Curtains

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #3

Chaps, once the blinds are down and lying on the floor, restringing isn't a hard job. I'm having difficult adjusting them after I mount them. I think I need to adjust the strings in the header, which means removing them again from the valance. Most likely the CB has been removed. Find the coax cable end and maybe you can tell. I know nothing about solar.
Enjoy your American Eagle.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
Chaps, once the blinds are down and lying on the floor, restringing isn't a hard job. I'm having difficult adjusting them after I mount them. I think I need to adjust the strings in the header, which means removing them again from the valance. Most likely the CB has been removed. Find the coax cable end and maybe you can tell. I know nothing about solar.
Enjoy your American Eagle.
There's no adjustment in the header of Day/Nite shades. There's a spring up in there. Where you adjust them is by loosening the screw holding that plastic string wind up spool down just below the valance under the window a couple inches. Grip that plastic wind up spool with a pair of channel locks, loosen the screw, then turn the spool to tighten the string. Both sides. If it's done right, that will keep the shade in position wherever you set it without one side or the other drooping. They get loose over time. The string stretches too.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
New to me is a 2003 American Eagle Q 40. The shades need restringing- how do I remove the shades? Help!
Also I have CB radio antennas - is the CB radio hidden behind the dash- I noticed yesterday there is a solar panel mounted on the roof- any idea how it’s connected to the batteries?
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Chaps
There were some RVs of that era that came with CB antennas installed but usually the radios were an option or the PO may have tossed it. You'll find the coax connector under the dash but if you can't find the radio OR the mic, it didn't likely come with one.

The solar panel on the roof...do you have a small one or a full size one? In either case, the heavy charging wires usually head down to the battery control center through the refer vent.

If you have a small solar panel, don't bother with it as they are only 10 watts. Totally inadequate and the manufacturer knew that when installed. It's a worthless and expensive optional piece of gear sold only to rubes. It only outputs, under the best of conditions like full sunshine, 0.8 amps of charging current. If it's 3' X 4' though, that's a 100 watt panel and that would do a good job of limited charging of the chassis batts at 8 amps. But it isn't powerful enough to give you much more than a bit of help if you boondock or if you park your RV and leave it for days. You'll still need to run your genset for hours or disconnect your battery grounds while you're gone.

Note that newer 3' X 4' solar panels output up to 250 watt in full sunshine but not likely your '03 would.

Oh, forgot...the little panel goes to a little charge controller. Only 3" square. If you have a little mystery box, it might be the charge controller...and they put them anywhere. For bigger panels, the controller is bigger and it may wire into a Converter/Inverter or directly to the batts. Depends. If you have a Charge Control Panel, it'll go there and light that little red LED that says Solar Charging, then to the batts.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 AM   #6

Jim, when I stated I need to adjust the strings in the header, I wasn't referring to any screw or knob to adjust. After I reinstalled the shade, one string on one side is too short. Therefore, I thought I had somehow moved the spring, located in the header, to one side. I don't know much about these shades. I am thinking I need to remove it again and move the spring to the center of the header. Maybe someone can tell me what I need to do.
Jim, I took no offense to your saying, "There's no adjustment in the header of Day/Nite shades"
Old 07-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
Jim, when I stated I need to adjust the strings in the header, I wasn't referring to any screw or knob to adjust. After I reinstalled the shade, one string on one side is too short. Therefore, I thought I had somehow moved the spring, located in the header, to one side. I don't know much about these shades. I am thinking I need to remove it again and move the spring to the center of the header. Maybe someone can tell me what I need to do.
Jim, I took no offense to your saying, "There's no adjustment in the header of Day/Nite shades"
Oh, good. No offense was intended either.

How it works is that the correct calculated length of string is folded in half, knotted to each end of the spring using a double loop knot, then threaded through all the shades ending up with two strings on each side. That's a 4 string shade.

A two string shade, each calculated length of string is tied to the spring.

With the correct length of string on either side, than it should just be a matter of loosening both sides and letting them hang slack. Then you can worry the short side down a bit more by tugging it while giving some slack to the other side at various places along it's length.

If you didn't secure the spring too well with tape in the upper rail, it should give a little and you can just pull it into position. If there's a lot of tape, yes, you might need to remove the entire shade to access.

The other problem is while the shade is loose, it can fully extend, which can cause the ends of the cords to retract inside the bottom rail. So tie a knot at the ends so that can't happen.

And of course there's the possibility that one of the strings is routed wrong in the shade and then the only fix is removal and restringing.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #8

Thanks Jim. It's a project I dread to get into again.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #9

Window shade removal

Thanks so much for your reply. I will again try to remove the shade(s). The solar panel mounted on the roof is a 3 X 4 I think- it’s large.
This unit replaces the 1998 Holiday Rambler that was rear ended by an 18 wheeler- insurance paid for estimated damage- plans are to sell the damaged Rambler as it has a clean title and can be fixed.
I am very appreciative of my unseen friends who have taken the time to assist.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #10

Has anyone had trouble stopping a water leak on the driver’s window? I have remove the window, installed a modified window seal- no luck- taped the bottom of window seal- no luck -Problem is water coming past the window seal strip that is against the window. Where to buy an original type window seal?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Has anyone had trouble stopping a water leak on the driver’s window? I have remove the window, installed a modified window seal- no luck- taped the bottom of window seal- no luck -Problem is water coming past the window seal strip that is against the window. Where to buy an original type window seal?
Thanks for your help.
You should start a new thread, Chaps. Also, check the roof for bad caulking. The tape under the window is called butyl tape. Ace hardware carries it.

Tags
removal, wind, window