Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Window valance

I'm planning my Norcold change out to a residential refrigerator and I've decided the easiest egress is a side window. I need to remove the valance prior to removing the blasted day/night shade and then the window but so far I've found only one screw at the bottom of each side of the valance. I'm going try using a magnet to locate any screws hidden at the top. Major question, you don't think they glued the valance to the wall do you?

Thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Valance

Jim, I just restrung my shades yesterday. each side valance has (1) screw at the bottom. The top has three screws. That is if your mtr hm is like my Fleetwood Revoultion.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
3 screws on the top, too, on our Bounder valances. They're a bear to get to. Needed my small hands to get up in there with a manual screwdriver (the battery pistol grip one was too big).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Were you able to feel the screws on top? I easily found the ones on each side of the bottom.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It was pretty difficult. They were well screwed in, imbedded in some of the the fabric wrapped around the the valances. The 2 on the outside were not right on the corners, but a little ways in. At first I thought that was it until the darned thing still wouldn't let loose & I found another closer to the middle. I stripped that one getting it out.

Lori-
Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Lori and also thanks for making me a ton.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They probably would've come out easier if the stupid things hadn't gotten caught in the material. The threads in the material just wrapped around the screws like a noose & locked them in place. I was up under there with cuticle scissors to get the material off the screws. Lots of cussin' went on that day.

Lori-
Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
They probably would've come out easier if the stupid things hadn't gotten caught in the material. The threads in the material just wrapped around the screws like a noose & locked them in place. I was up under there with cuticle scissors to get the material off the screws. Lots of cussin' went on that day.

Lori-
Two questions.

The top screws are under/inside not on top of the valance?

Do you remove the day/night shade first?

Comment: UGH!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim

Two questions.

The top screws are under/inside not on top of the valance?

Do you remove the day/night shade first?

Comment: UGH!
Yes and yes. The day/night shaded are screwed into the valance. A loooong screw driver helps.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Remove the shades first... then go to Amazon and buy a #2 Philips extension bit ( it's about 6" long) and then the valance is a piece of cake to remove and install. Use the extention bit with an electric drill ... most of the cordless screw drivers are not strong enough to do the job.

Amazon.com: Tooluxe Pro-Grade 6-Inch Philips Screwdrive Bits Extension with Magnetic Tip, 1/4" Hex Shank (Pack of 5): Home Improvement
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just removed all of the valances on my 2003 Storm for a remodeling project. I found that a long phillips screw driver was sufficient to remove the overhead screws (with some effort). However, if I did it again I would use the extension on my drill as previously discussed. I also found that the number of screws varied in location and number (usually 3 but sometimes just two). The screws on the bottom sides were hidden in the material but found them by exploring (a magnet would have worked also). Now that I have removed alll of them - I see that removing the day/night shades at this point would be easier (in my opinion). Hope this helps.

Bob
New2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I'm planning my Norcold change out to a residential refrigerator and I've decided the easiest egress is a side window. I need to remove the valance prior to removing the blasted day/night shade and then the window but so far I've found only one screw at the bottom of each side of the valance. I'm going try using a magnet to locate any screws hidden at the top. Major question, you don't think they glued the valance to the wall do you?

Thanks for any input.
Try removing the bottom screws for the valance first. Get the shade out of the way so you can look between the shade and the window. Get a long phillips screwdrive and remove the 3 screws holding the top of the valance. Remove the valance and the shade. The shade is attached to the same piece of wood that forms the valance top.
Not easy but doable.
tgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks good folks for all the information. You have confirmed what I've been thinking for a long time. They ain't never built two of these suckers alike.

On my valance I have two screws under the top valance on the inside between the shade and the valance. I have one screw on each side of the vertical valance, one on the bottom of one side and one on the side of the other side.

I haven't tried removing the screws yet and of course may find more...who would of thunk it?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
...They ain't never built two of these suckers alike.

Dime to a dollar, the coach on the assembly line before yours & after yours has the screws in different places.

Lori-

Tags
bounder