Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winegard Trav'ler Installation - DIY

I finally finished up the installation of a Winegard Trav’ler on our 2012 Discovery 36J - and I’m very happy with the conversion. The KVH antenna had to move between satellites, and, although an in-motion system, I wasn’t impressed with its capabilities. We never used it while traveling. Although it may appear as a daunting task, the entire process was relatively easy, although time consuming. Preparation is the key, both logistically and mentally.

I read every article I could find on installing a Winegard system. I got all the equipment, tools and supplies ready well ahead of time, before beginning the installation. The mental preparation was at least as important as actually removing the KVH system and installing the Winegard Trav’ler. At last, I was ready to pursue this adventure.

The most important step - wait for a nice warm day, with no wind. It’s a long way down from atop a motor home.

In all, I used 3 ladders, one 10 foot ladder to easily place tools and supplies on top of the coach, one 20 foot ladder adjusted to the appropriate height used to take the new Winegard system up on the coach, and one 6 foot ladder to gain easy access to the rear-mounted ladder on our Discovery. They all came in handy.

winegard10.jpg

Once ready to remove the KVH system, I used a putty knife to free up as much os the sealant that had been placed around the three base tabs. Each tab had five 8mm hex head screws holding it in place. The front tab was more of a challenge to get to (did I mention it’s a long way down?), so I removed the radome from the KVH antenna to get easier access.

winegard2.jpg

Once the screws are removed from the KVH mounting tabs, and the three cables (one control cable, two coaxial cables) disconnected from the unit, the antenna can be lifted up and away and placed on the roof elsewhere, keeping in mind there is very little “elsewhere” available on the roof due to the air conditioner just behind the antenna. To preclude transferring remnants of the sealer to the roof, I wrapped the three tabs with a sheet of paper towel before moving it - that made it easier to take the KVH antenna down the ladder as well without worrying about trailing the sticky sealer behind me.

winegard3.jpg

With free access to the mounting location, I then cleaned up the area where the Winegard would be placed using denatured alcohol after scraping away the remaining sealer from around the base of the KVH mounting tabs. There is plenty of space to locate the Trav’ler on the roof in the Discovery where the KVH had been.

winegard.jpg

Fleetwood had sent me two diagrams of the KVH installation, which indicated that there was a reinforced area where the antenna had been installed, sufficiently large that the Winegard would fit nicely. I placed the Trav’ler so that the front of the antenna would be close to the same location where the KVH front mounting tab was attached. Be sure to place the Winegard so that the label saying “front” is pointing to the front.

winegard4.jpg

After temporarily locating it where I wanted, I drew an outline around the base with a Sharpie pen, then removed the Winegard and placed a bead of Dicor sealant about ½ inch inside the outline to provide a proper seal against the weather. Taking your time, place the base of the Trav’ler on the outline so that the base flattens out the sealant.

winegard5.jpg

I then used a very small drill to place one screw through the roof and hold the antenna in place. I then drilled a second hole in the roof on the opposite side, then placed a screw to stabilize the antenna while I drilled the other holes and put the screws in place. There are a total of nine screws holding it down.

At this point, I plugged the system in to ensure it would raise and lower the antenna (it did), and to allow me to install the actual dish on the Trav’ler using 4 bolts and nuts. Easily done.

Now the “interesting” part - pulling the control cable and two coaxial cables through the roof of the Discovery. I chose to use the existing hole in the roof, thinking that Fleetwood had figured it out to make access easy for the KVH installation. I didn’t want to put another hole in the roof.

winegard6.jpg

At first, when I tried pulling the KVH control cable out of the top of the roof, it wouldn’t budge. I had to go inside the coach, and gently move a panel inside the A/V bay over the driver’s head out of the way so I could see what was happening. Turns out that the KVH cable was about 10 feet longer than required, and Fleetwood has coiled it up and taped it and stuffed it back inside the area near the left side of the A/V bay. After pulling the cable out, removing the oh-so-sticky tape, I was able to pull the cable out through the roof by tying some 40 pound test fishing line to it and placing duct tape around it to prevent the cable connector from being entangled inside the roof. Success!

The coaxial cables were a bit easier. Inside the A/V bay, there are two grey coaxial cables attached to a “connection block” on the right side of the A/V bay. Note the location of the cable with RF1 written on it, since that’s where you’ll attach the Winegard cable from connector “A” as marked on the Winegard base. Connector B will go to the other coaxial connection on the block, labeled RF2.

winegard7.jpg

After removing them from the block, I again used fishing line to tie them together, taped the ends with duct tape to preclude their being entangled, went back on the roof and pulled them through. Success!

Pulling the cables from the Winegard through the roof was fairly simple at that point. Yup - use 40 pound test fishing line, connected as previously described, then go back down to the A/V bay and pull the cables through the roof to the bay. The roof has closed cell insulation in it, with a pathway, made by Fleetwood, for the cables.

I ran the three Winegard cables from the passenger side roof back toward the air conditioner, then around to the driver’s side and into the hole in the roof, thereby providing plenty of clearance for the roller arm on the Trav’ler to not hit the cables, and held them in place with Dicor and cable clamps screwed into the roof.

The Winegard control cable is very long (about 30 feet), so I coiled it up with a zip tie, pushed it down inside the left side of the bay wall where the KVH cable was, and left a few feet of cable with the connector end inside the cabinet. Connect the coaxial cables where the KVH cables were, and that’s all there is to hooking it up. I reinstalled the A/V bay front cover access panel using two small drywall screws - Fleetwood had used staples, which made it fairly easy to gently remove the panel for access.

winegard8.jpg

Although I left out a few details involving temporarily removing the DISH receiver, audio amplifier, and removing the shelves to gain access, that pretty much completes the transition.

You’ll need to do a “check switch” on each receiver (we have one in the front and rear of the coach) to ensure it recognizes the Winegard system, per Winegard’s installation and setup instructions. Once done, all three satellites are available, any time, anywhere.

Love the Winegard Trav’ler! I hope this helps anyone interested in a do-it-yourself project. It just takes time, planning, and a nice warm day with no wind.

winegard9.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	73053   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	73054  

Name:	winegard3.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	73055   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard4.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	73056  

Name:	winegard5.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	73057   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard6.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	73058  

Name:	winegard7.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	73059   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard8.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	73060  

Name:	winegard9.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	73061   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard10.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	73062  

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Good write-up. I've installed two of these on two new coaches. Hardest part I found was getting the thing on to the roof. Cheated on the newest coach, as part of the deal with my dealer was that he'd put the box on the roof for me. I screwed it down in his parking lot after he closed for the night. We did the wiring after I brought the new Bus home
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Good write-up. I've installed two of these on two new coaches. Hardest part I found was getting the thing on to the roof. Cheated on the newest coach, as part of the deal with my dealer was that he'd put the box on the roof for me. I screwed it down in his parking lot after he closed for the night. We did the wiring after I brought the new Bus home
You're right - that was a bit of a high intensity moment. I carried it up the longest ladder I had leaned against the front of the coach, tucked under my right arm. Fortunately, it made the trip OK. I like your approach much better!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Excellent post It's people like you that make this such a great forum. I'm sure this will help many others.

Thanks!
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Excellent post It's people like you that make this such a great forum. I'm sure this will help many others.

Thanks!
Aw shucks...thanks Berry and Karen!
Old 09-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you have found a new career....that is beautiful work.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
I think you have found a new career....that is beautiful work.
Thanks a bunch - since I'll be 70 on my next birthday, I'm thinking my careers are over...already retired three times. I appreciate your compliments!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice post, I am not as limber as you. I left the in motion sat antenna on my roof and hired the folks here in Yuma, Az. to install the new one on the roof and wire it. It only took the installer about 3 hrs. to do everything and I didn't have to do anything except worry about it.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Nice post, I am not as limber as you. I left the in motion sat antenna on my roof and hired the folks here in Yuma, Az. to install the new one on the roof and wire it. It only took the installer about 3 hrs. to do everything and I didn't have to do anything except worry about it.
You may have had the better idea Bill....
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Nice job did the same thing . Never could get at that cable coiled up on mine. Figured that what was keeping me from pulling cable through. Drilled a new hole top center of cap cables came down right behind tv. Love the Traveler.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Who did the install in Yuma?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Can't answer for Bill ,but I see RV Connection at 4475 32nd street does a lot of them and the folks are happy.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

Winegard Trav'ler Installation - DIY

How well does it work with partial line of site? Like if there is a light tree canopy?

I hunted a traveler for a few months then started thinking about how much I like tree cover. So I opted for a 3lnb portable dish that I have to aim.

It's not hard to aim it but there's something to be said for just turning to on

Beautiful installation on a beautiful ride!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Light tree canopies will impact any antenna. However, with the greater surface capture area of the Trav'ler, it will out perform antennas that are smaller in the same situation.

There is an advantage in portable dishes compared to a fixed installation atop a coach. So far, we love the Trav'ler, especially compared to the KVH system we had in the past.

Tags
install