Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winter camping in a Bounder 35K

I tried to search for some "winter in the RV' tips but it didn't take me anywhere so... I want to do some extended winter camping in our 2014 Bounder. Well actually we are having some guests stay over the Holidays so parked by our house hooked up is a good option. We bought a heated fresh water hose, I know I need to get connections and PVC instead of using the conventional sewer hose, and I also read where the slide out awnings may not support snow so put something under to keep the weight from breaking the springs or stretching the canvas. I also read where I need to skirt the bottom to keep the wind out, and keep the grey and black valves open, but anymore to do? My old coach had tank heaters, I don't think this Bounder does, and I believe I saw where the propane heater is vented into the fresh water bay where the filter is. Are there any other precautions I may need to address? Snow starts @ the first week of December here in Pa.
gdetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation Winter use in the (frigid) North...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdetty View Post
I tried to search for some "winter in the RV' tips but it didn't take me anywhere so... I want to do some extended winter camping in our 2014 Bounder. Well actually we are having some guests stay over the Holidays so parked by our house hooked up is a good option. We bought a heated fresh water hose, I know I need to get connections and PVC instead of using the conventional sewer hose, and I also read where the slide out awnings may not support snow so put something under to keep the weight from breaking the springs or stretching the canvas. I also read where I need to skirt the bottom to keep the wind out, and keep the grey and black valves open, but anymore to do? My old coach had tank heaters, I don't think this Bounder does, and I believe I saw where the propane heater is vented into the fresh water bay where the filter is. Are there any other precautions I may need to address? Snow starts @ the first week of December here in Pa.
Maintenence and monitoring would be the order of the day. The above precautions should serve you well. Make sure to check the propane tank and electrical connections regularly, It might be a good idea to get a shop worklight (60W bulb) placed in the bay near the pex tubing in the basement... I don't know just how practical it would be for you to drain the Water Heater, Freshwater tank, water filter between family visits... We also have a new '14 Fleetwood Bounder; will be doing some winter travel this year, and I'll need to make sure I don't leave anything to chance...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

We camp during the whole winter. IN FLORIDA!!!

Seriously, take a look at this site. Most issues are covered. Don't remember them mentioning blockage of the roof vents especially the fridge with heavy snowfall. By the way, the refrigerator manual states a heating coil will turn on to prevent the water to the ice maker from freezing at 32 degrees. You might want to take a look behind your access panel. There is a shut off and valve with no protection and the grill is wide open to the cold.

Just read your surprise leak post. You must like surprises. Anyway, here's the Wynns and their advice.

How To Prepare Your RV for a Winter Adventure | Gone With The Wynns

Last chance!
Winterize the coach, pay for a motel/hotel for your guests and save money.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

I remembered reading an article in Motorhome Magazine. Rather than look through the pile, I searched it online.

The Article:

Winter RV Excitement
Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdetty View Post

I think keeping your black tank valve open would be a bad idea. Maybe someone with more experience on this can chime in.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I think keeping your black tank valve open would be a bad idea. Maybe someone with more experience on this can chime in.

You are 100% correct.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
DO NOT leave the black tank dump open. U will flow out the liquids and leave the poo behind until it piles up and wont flow out. The poo needs lots of liquid to flow out. Are your dump valves and tanks enclosed and heated? If not thats where ur problems will show up. Condensation maybe a problem on interior windows and frames.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I also hang an old-style work light similar to this Bayco FL-407PDQ Professional Series Metal Shield Incandescent Utility Light with 18 Gauge Cord and Tool Tap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RKKEI4..._UEUrub0CFT6ES in my water bay to help keep it warm in there (even though my water bay is supposedly heated). I have also hung them on the water supply faucet.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, camping, winter