Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winter survival report

Several weeks ago, there were a few folks who asked about whether or not their Bounder could make it through some cold winter weather. Well, I can now answer that question with a resounding YES! I have spent the last nine days in my Bounder located in northern Wisconsin. I am about 30 miles north of the Dells and temps have been as low as 4 degrees with the average being somewhere around 21 degrees at night. Other than attaching an external propane tank, I did little else to prepare for the cold. I did run the fireplace to supplement the furnace and between the two, the coach was toasty warm. The coach was full of water the entire nine days and I used the plumbing system as normal.

At first I was a bit wary of filling the coach with water but this was a perfect time to test the system in the cold as I had a back up plan should something go wrong. I was staying in the rv at our manufacturing facility so if it did start to freeze up, I had the option of pulling it into our heated loading docks but that never became necessary. The coach survived 4 degree temps, stiff winds and 8 inches of snow during the 9 days and did it all comfortably. So for all of you that want to try a little winter camping, I say go for it! Your Bounder is up to the task.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #2

Helpful report. Thanks. What kind of electric were you hooked up to?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats the funny part, I haven't had time to have our shop forreman install a 50a outlet for me yet. Heck, not even a 30a. I was only plugged into a regular 20a 110 outlet. If I wanted to run the microwave, I had to shut the fireplace down.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

When John Crean designed the original Bounder in 1985, cold weather survival was one of the requirements. My 95 Bounder has survived -7 degrees F for one night. Glad your Bounder works in cold weather.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Regardless who designed what...did your run a indoor cold water facet to keep the outside water source from freezing up? Amazing how many snowbirds go south (yes it freezes in the south or southwest!) and find they have no water inside the coach!
Old 03-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No I did not run the water all night. I was working off the tank and the pump. Worked fine. Im sure it would have been fine if I was hooked to water and used a heated hose.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:34 AM   #7

Several folks have the electric heated water hose here in Tombstone AZ. When the temp dropped to <27 degrees over night, the hose bib / spigot froze up and the water valve could not be turned. The solution was to pour hot water over the spigot to free up the water handle/valve. Yet we just stream the indoor cold water and no problems and no heated water hoses to lug around!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Spent many night below zero in our rig w/o issues. Had to put an electric heaterin the water bay ( no hookups).
Cold weather down here in the S.W. was no issue.
Did install a ventless propane heater and will never go back to inefficient RV furnaces.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A few winters ago, I tried to subsidize the rv furnace with a buddy heater. They work well and certainly save on propane but I always worry about being overcome by fumes. My heater has a low oxygen cutoff, but I still worry. If you crack a window in low temperatures, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We got caught by a cold front one fall trip with temps diving into the low 30's & wind chills well into the teens. Pulled in the slides to conserve on heating space & our Bounder did just fine for the 1.5 days/nights until a warm front came through & warmed it back up to the 50's.

Wouldn't hesitate to winter camp in a Bounder.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
A few winters ago, I tried to subsidize the rv furnace with a buddy heater. They work well and certainly save on propane but I always worry about being overcome by fumes. My heater has a low oxygen cutoff, but I still worry. If you crack a window in low temperatures, it kind of defeats the purpose.
As may of you know these RV's are not very "air tight", especially if you have multiple slides.
Propane heater or not we always keep one window cracked (for fresh air) and one roof vent cracked (to get rid of moisture).
Many people out here running ventless propane heaters. We sell/install many during the winter season here in Quartzsite.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

First night I was in this coach we went out to eat dinner when we came back from dinner the water hose and spigot pipe were frozen solid. Next morning I had to get a space heater out to thaw the water spigot to disconnect. Next time I was at Harbor Freight I bought one of their inexpensive electric heat guns, now no worry about a frozen water connection. Did I mention that it's pretty difficult to draw water thru a frozen hose? Now if there is even a hint of cold in the air I fill the fresh water tank completely as soon as I get the coach set up. Can't flush a toilet or take a shower with an empty water tank and frozen hoses.
If it's going to get below 32 degrees your built in propane furnace is a must. It provides heat to the basement areas and protects your plumbing and tanks system from freeze damage.
I don' know how effective this will be on your coach but with mine if I leave the dash vent system set to draw outside air( not recycle) I turn on one of the roof vent exhaust fans I can feel the fan drawing air thru the vents in the front of the coach. If I'm only using one roof vent fan I don't bother to open any windows for an air source.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Our wet bay is indeed heated BUT the heater register is on the curb side and water valves and such on the street side! In extreme cold I run the risk of frozen pipes!
If I where to head back into such temperatures I'd have to put a bulb or heater on the street as side. If I was real ambitious I'd install a 2nd register on that side.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Our wet bay is indeed heated BUT the heater register is on the curb side and water valves and such on the street side! In extreme cold I run the risk of frozen pipes!
If I where to head back into such temperatures I'd have to put a bulb or heater on the street as side. If I was real ambitious I'd install a 2nd register on that side.
I too worried about this but I make sure that when cold weather is coming, I dissconnect the hose and work off the tank. I also make sure that the cover is over the opening for the sewer hose and the electric cord so that cold air cant get in the compartment. Even at 12 degrees, I have never had the compartment freeze up and have never used an extra heat source. The register on the curb side eventually gets some warm air back to the tank area. if you look closely, there are openings between some compartments as well as openings to the main raceway that lead back to that area. Fleetwood installed louvered vent covers on the openings between my compartments and I had never noticed them. Make sure you dont have anything blocking them. They are near the top in the back of a couple of them.

Tags
winter