Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs down Winterization 2010 Fleetwood Discovery

I have 2010 40x Fleetwood Discovery that I need to winterize. Manual is unclear on procedure to winterize. I drain system fine but when I pump in antifreeze it fills up drained water heater before going to hot water lines. That will take almost 10 gallons on antifreeze $$$$$$. I can not find any access to the back of the water heater to see if any water heater bypass valves exist or to be able to install bypass. Also have no idea what the "bypass valve" located at the water service panel does??? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks……..
Rkkcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure but I think the bypass valve at water bay bypasses the water heater. Water heater has a separate drain. Good luck. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On mine there ar instructions printed on back os water service bay door. Good luck. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks! I will check…..nice to be in Texas where you probably don't have to worry about these things.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea there will be a water heater bypass valve so you should only have to use between 2 and 3 gallons
Old 10-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 2012 Discovery has a water heater bypass valve located in the water bay. I used about 3 gallons last week when I winterized the system.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Yea there will be a water heater bypass valve so you should only have to use between 2 and 3 gallons
mojoracing
Are you saying that EVERY 2010 Fleetwood Discovery came with a "water heater bypass valve" installed?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club

Name:   IMG_4059.JPG
Views: 1458
Size:  29.4 KB

What I am trying to say is my Discovery has this "instant action RV Hot Water Heater Bypass Valve" (Picture) with zero instructions. I am trying to winterize but all the antifreeze just dumps into the hot water heater and never gets to the plumbing. What is the solution????
Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
mojoracing
Are you saying that EVERY 2010 Fleetwood Discovery came with a "water heater bypass valve" installed?
Mel
'96 Safari
Discovery came standard with the bypass valve. So did Pace arrow. In the 1998 to now period.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkcf View Post
Attachment 110061

What I am trying to say is my Discovery has this "instant action RV Hot Water Heater Bypass Valve" (Picture) with zero instructions. I am trying to winterize but all the antifreeze just dumps into the hot water heater and never gets to the plumbing. What is the solution????
Turning the valve to bypass should bypass the water heater. If it not, check the back of the valve. It may have frozen or broken and been replummed.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Discovery came standard with the bypass valve. So did Pace arrow. In the 1998 to now period.
ga trveler
Thanks for the answer...(I wasn't aware of that).
Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #12

I have a 2009 Southwind. The bypass does not work to keep antifreeze out of the water heater. I presume that there is a faulty check valve on the water heater. Any advice?
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
I have a 2009 Southwind. The bypass does not work to keep antifreeze out of the water heater. I presume that there is a faulty check valve on the water heater. Any advice?
Celerator
It is NOT necessary to use RV antifreeze in the fresh water system.
There are many owners who winterize successfully by draining the fresh water system and "blowing out" the waterlines with air.
See: How to winterize an rv by blowing out the linesFunky Junk Interiors
And/or Goggle "blowing out rv water lines with air compressor".

BTW, although I do not recommend it, when winterizing my coach I DO NOT "blow out" or "put antifreeze in" the fresh water system of my coach).
I simply gravity drain everything and use antifreeze in the P-traps and Splendide washer drain pump.

Mel
'96 Safari, (mine for 14 wiscinsin winters)
Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wanted to thank all who replied! Hopefully this reply will serve to help those who have questions in the future. I contacted Swan Industries since my MH has a Swan By-Pass valve.

Name:   IMG_4059-2.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  29.4 KB

I explained that in "by-pass" the water heater was filling with anti-freeze. They provided attached sketch. The culprit is the check valve that has foreign material in it and needs repair/replacement. Their website shows the check valve needed to repair. Very friendly people and very helpful.

Bypass sketch.pdf

In my efforts to find a solution I was able to access the back side of the water heater from the floor of my fleetwood closet. My system has a single bypass valve that bypasses the water heater. I turned the valve, serviced the system with anti-freeze, and avoided repairing the Swan valve. Hopefully this will help others and again Thanks!

Tags
fleetwood, swan by-pass valve, water htr by-pass, winter