Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winterizing Discovery LXE

First season winterizing in Michigan with our Discovery 40g. Curious if most run RV antifreeze or blow lines out. First time dealing with a washing machine and ice makers. I see on the washer I basically run antifreeze through a cycle. I guess the ice maker could eventually draw antifreeze as well. Concerned with the blow out method as I donít see how that clears my washer drain pump or my frig water supply. Seeking advice!
jbellarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #2

I do my 40M and do the air blow out first, then follow that up with antifreeze through the AquaHot, (required by AquaHot) washer, both stools. The dishwasher isn't used so water was shut off after winterizing the first year with antifreeze. A shorting wire is used on the icemaker to open the valve and clear it with air. I've developed a full page set of instructions that I follow closely and leaves nothing out. Takes less than 3 gal. of antifreeze to do the job.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #3

i don't know about the washer but icemakers can be manually cycled in order to get air or antifreeze through them. some use a jumper wire, some a switch, and some via the the control panel.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #4

Too much incorrect information.
first if you have a Aquahot unit you Can not blow out your lines.
You will damage the Aquahot.
Second, I recommend just using RV Antifreeze and just pump it al thru.
The washer has instructions in its manual, it’s pretty easy.
So does a dishwasher if you have one.
My suggestion is have a qualified tech do it the first time and have them teach you how to do it.
That’s what I did.
I kept notes and wrote up a cheat sheet for my
Washer
Ice maker
Dishwasher.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
all set everyone, thanks. Will use my trusted RV antifreeze method. Nice not having to bypass a hot water tank like my old rig had. I see Samsung has an easy ice maker cycler now that all have mentioned it. Dishwasher never used and is actually being removed to add much needed storage in the 40g kitchen. Not sure the Fleetwood team has ever traveled and lived in their coaches. No room for anything in the kitchen but lots of room for dishwashers and electric fireplaces!
Old 09-12-2022, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Too much incorrect information.
first if you have a Aquahot unit you Can not blow out your lines.
You will damage the Aquahot.
Thats interesting, I've been putting air through mine for 3 years and haven't noticed any damage yet.
What is it that air going through damages that water going through doesn't damage?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Thats interesting, I've been putting air through mine for 3 years and haven't noticed any damage yet.
What is it that air going through damages that water going through doesn't damage?
Read the Aquahot manual.
Thatís all I know.
I just follow the instructions
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

The amount of pressure. Keep your air below 30 psi and faucet open and youíll be fine to clear water out before putting in antifreeze.
I donít blow my lines out. Just drain them, then run antifreeze through each item until it runs solid pink. Use about 6 gallons. Probably could use less but at $2.99 a gallon itís cheap insurance.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #9

2cyber71, like you said "Too much incorrect information."

I did read the manual and that's why I do what I do. There's not one word about air damaging the Aqua Hot. The manual says the AquaHot needs to be evacuated of all water, which I do with air.

Possibly there's something different about your AquaHot than there is about mine. I suspect you might have misinterpreted their statements about winterizing the AquaHot. I also suspect you didn't bother to read my entire post about what I do.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
The amount of pressure. Keep your air below 30 psi and faucet open and youíll be fine to clear water out before putting in antifreeze.
I donít blow my lines out. Just drain them, then run antifreeze through each item until it runs solid pink. Use about 6 gallons. Probably could use less but at $2.99 a gallon itís cheap insurance.
I think 30 psi is certainly safe, but a bit on the low side. People I know with adjustable water pressure regulators like to set them at 60psi. A lot of city water systems run in the 45 to 50 psi range. The pump you are going to be using to pump the antifreeze with says 55psi on the case of the motor.

I set my air regulator at around 40 to 45 psi for the winterizing process.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellarmada View Post
First season winterizing in Michigan with our Discovery 40g. Curious if most run RV antifreeze or blow lines out. First time dealing with a washing machine and ice makers. I see on the washer I basically run antifreeze through a cycle. I guess the ice maker could eventually draw antifreeze as well. Concerned with the blow out method as I donít see how that clears my washer drain pump or my frig water supply. Seeking advice!
I have a 2015 40G. Using antifreeze is a lot of work on this coach. Use air instead youíll save yourself a lot of time and effort. Drain and bypass water heater. Blow out with air using city water inlet in water bay including refrigerator water line, toilet, clothes washer (run a short wash cycle to clear hot and cold water lines) dishwasher and all faucets; donít forget the faucet in the water bay. Empty water filter in water bay. Ok to leave refrigerator water filter in line while blowing with air. To clear the refrigerator water storage tank in door just act like youíre filling a glass of water. Donít worry about ice maker nothing there that freezing will hurt. Pour antifreeze in dishwasher, run through drain cycle; do same for washer. Drain main water tank. Pour antifreeze in shower, bathroom and kitchen sink drains. Do not exceed 40psig air pressure. Using this method is much easier than antifreeze because of the washer, dishwasher and tank in refrigerator door. This method uses 1/2 gallon of antifreeze compared to 4+ gallons the other way. Much easier to put back in service in the springtime also.
rustandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mice prevention - Cummins I9

Thanks all for your thoughts. Going to sell the new cover and not risk the damage it may cause. Will go with the RV antifreeze method, I am familiar with it.

I get mice in my cars on occasion when they are parked for extended periods of time. My barn is near a farmers field. I generally block the air inlet and exhaust pipes with steel wool. Are there places on the I9 Diesel in the 40g I should consider blocking from mice?
Old 09-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustandmoss View Post
I have a 2015 40G. Using antifreeze is a lot of work on this coach. Use air instead youíll save yourself a lot of time and effort. Drain and bypass water heater. Blow out with air using city water inlet in water bay including refrigerator water line, toilet, clothes washer (run a short wash cycle to clear hot and cold water lines) dishwasher and all faucets; donít forget the faucet in the water bay. Empty water filter in water bay. Ok to leave refrigerator water filter in line while blowing with air. To clear the refrigerator water storage tank in door just act like youíre filling a glass of water. Donít worry about ice maker nothing there that freezing will hurt. Pour antifreeze in dishwasher, run through drain cycle; do same for washer. Drain main water tank. Pour antifreeze in shower, bathroom and kitchen sink drains. Do not exceed 40psig air pressure. Using this method is much easier than antifreeze because of the washer, dishwasher and tank in refrigerator door. This method uses 1/2 gallon of antifreeze compared to 4+ gallons the other way. Much easier to put back in service in the springtime also.
Based on the OP's profile, he has a 2020 40G which has the Aqua-Hot water heater, which cannot be winterized solely by using air. Antifreeze has to be used for this system.

Like Alan mentioned earlier in this post, I use air to evacuate the majority of the water from the overall system, but follow up by pumping antifreeze.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our 44LE came with a tank bypass and anti-freeze feed. I don't know if yours did also, but ours was mostly hidden behind the panel in the wet bay (you can buy and install one of these from Amazon if you don't have one). I bought a plug for the filter housing so I don't need to fill that with anti-freeze to pump the fluid through. The bypass turns off the water feed from the tank and instead the pump draws up anti-freeze and pumps it through the plumbing. I just need to open the faucets to let it run through.

Tags
cover, winterizing, winter, discovery