Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2022, 08:19 AM   #1

Winterizing the water system on a 1998 Pace Arrow Vision

I have a 1998 pace arrow vision that I need to winterize. It has shut a off valve installed for bypassing the water heater. So far I have drained the main water tank and the hot water heater. I sure could use some guidance on the most efficient way to drain the water lines and to get antifreeze into the plumbing system, ideally without having to put antifreeze into the main water tank. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you.
Newrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #2
tcg

If you have access to your water pump it may already have one of these installed, if not it's pretty easy to install and then it just sucks the antifreeze out of the gallon jug.

If you know where your low point drains are just open those and open all the faucets after it quits draining close the low points and the faucets and then continue the winterizing.

I blow out my lines before adding antifreeze, it seems to need less antifreeze that way.

There are plenty of YouTube videos that are very easy to follow on how to winterize an RV

If you have an ice maker there are a couple extra steps.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-C.../dp/B0006JJ588
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Find the low point drains and open them, drain the water heater. A washing machine, dishwasher and an ice maker will require extra steps so consult the appropriate manuals for draining and winterizing.

Your 12 volt pump may already have a connection to suck up the RV antifreeze. Before adding antifreeze, I would use an air compressor to pressurize the lines and blow all of the faucets, low point drains, shower hose, toilet, etc. Now pump in the antifreeze and run faucets, etc until you get the antifreeze to come out. Don't forget to put antifreeze in all of the toilets and P-traps at each sink and shower.

If you have an electric water heater element, be sure to open the breaker to the element before you drain the water heater. Also drain the fresh water tank and waste tanks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
On our 99 King of the Road, in the water pump compartment there is a faucet mounted inside that is plumbed to the intake side of the water pump. There is also a valve that shuts off the line that goes to the freshwater tank. I start by using the low point drain to get as much water drained from the lines. Open all the faucets, and I will hold the toilet fill valve for a while to let that water drain back. Drain the water heater and turn the valves to bypass the water heater. I did away with our ice maker, so I do not have anything to do there. Once everything is drained close all the faucets. I hookup a hose to the pump intake facet and put the other end in a bottle of RV antifreeze. I have found that if I set the bottle on something to get it about the same height as the pump, I have less problems with priming the pump. Turn on the pump and once it pulls in the antifreeze, I start by opening the faucet that is furthest from the pump and turn on the cold and let it run until antifreeze runs out and shut it off. Then do the same with the hot. From there just keep moving in until you have antifreeze out of all faucets and toilet. I also started turning the bypass valves on then right back off in case there is trapped water in them. I found I had the center of one of my valves pushed out when we started cleaning the water system in the spring. On our camper it has a freshwater hose connection on the side of the camper that has a check valve in it. I remove the screen from the connector and push in on the check valve to get antifreeze through it. Put a rag around the connection when you push in on the check valve because you will get antifreeze on you if you don't. Make sure to run enough out of the faucets to flush out any trapped water and also to fill the drain traps so they don't freeze. Hope this helps some.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #5

Gentlemen, thanks very much for your generous responses. I now have a clear idea of what needs to be done. It seemed a little too complicated to explain before, but I’m actually having a friend do the winterizing while I am on a business trip in India. I’m actually writing this while being driven to Kolkata. Amazing what a smartphone allows one to do.

Thank you again!
Old 11-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #6

Hello Everyone,

My friend who is winterizing my 1998 Pace Arrow Vision while I am working out of country is having difficult with getting the antifreeze to distribute through the system. He used the process outlined in the owners manual in which about 5 gallons of antifreeze is added to the main water tank. Here is what he wrote to me today:

"I emptied 4&1/2 gallons of antifreeze into the main tank, the rest went into the toilet, shower and sink traps. I found the water pump switch on the range hood and ran the pump expecting it to shut off when the lines were pressurized. I let it run for at least 10 minutes and it never shut off by itself. I tried all of the faucets- 1 at a time with the pump running and never got any fluid to come out anywhere. I turned it off and tried again - still nothing. Rechecked all the bypass valves & they were all closed."

Any thoughts on what may be going on? The water pump worked fine when I tried it before leaving for my travels. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have him double check the low point drains. If they did not get fully closed, antifreeze may have pumped out under the coach.

Also, double check the water heater. Pull the drain plug or anode rod to see if antifreeze pumped in there. Happens if bypass valve(s) were not set correctly. If antifreeze is in there, grab a funnel and reclaim it.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
2 things, for sure, your winterizing person did wrong:
1. Put the antifreeze in the fresh tank. It was not necessary to do that. If your coach didn't have one, they should've gotten a winterization kit, detached the input line to the pump & connected the kit to that.
2. They didn't shut the bypass valve to your water heater tank. That's where your antifreeze went.

Several posts above, mistakenly, did not mention to bypass the water heater tank.

It's going to take a LOT of flushing to get antifreeze out of both of those tanks. Good luck.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
2 things, for sure, your winterizing person did wrong:
1. Put the antifreeze in the fresh tank. It was not necessary to do that. If your coach didn't have one, they should've gotten a winterization kit, detached the input line to the pump & connected the kit to that.
2. They didn't shut the bypass valve to your water heater tank. That's where your antifreeze went.

Several posts above, mistakenly, did not mention to bypass the water heater tank.

It's going to take a LOT of flushing to get antifreeze out of both of those tanks. Good luck.
The friend was following the manual instructions. On page 127 it says to pour 5 gallons of antifreeze into the fresh water tank. The manual also states it will require more antifreeze if a bypass is not installed. There probably was no bypass to to close.

There are other ways but the friend was following manufacturer instructions. I doubt the friend would install winterization kit on the pump or bypass valves when there are clear instructions in the manual that don't include or require those things.

But I do agree the antifreeze is in the hot water tank and it will take some time to fill and pressurize shutting off the pump.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a 1998 Pace Arrow. First the water heater bypass handle must be in the bypass position or all the antifreeze will go into the water heater tank. The tank holds 6 gallons so all 4 and a half gallons would not fill it up.
Next you will have to put down a rear jack on the opposite side of the tank from the pump and outlet. Fleetwood uses large low water tanks and the pump will not pick small amounts of fluid unless the tank is tilted toward the pump.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #11

My friend who is winterizing my RV says there are two valves under the bathroom sink next to the water heater, one for a hot water line and one for cold. Should both of these be put into the "off" position so antifreeze does not go into the hot water tank? He will be checking to see if the hot water tank contains antifreeze and if so, I want to be able to provide a solution. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #12
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrider View Post
My friend who is winterizing my RV says there are two valves under the bathroom sink next to the water heater, one for a hot water line and one for cold. Should both of these be put into the "off" position so antifreeze does not go into the hot water tank? He will be checking to see if the hot water tank contains antifreeze and if so, I want to be able to provide a solution. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Here's a good video showing what the bypass should look like and a picture of a not as common 2 valve bypass is at the link below the video.

And... You have a good friend.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twovalve.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	381164  
Old 11-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrider View Post
The valve on the cold line should be turned off. That will not allow water into the water heater.

The valve on the hot line should be turned on. That allows cold water to bypass the water heater, allowing antifreeze to be pumped into the hot lines to faucets.

There should be a one way check valve at the hot water heater output that prevents backflow from hot lines. Nothing to set on it. It operates automatically.

After valves are set, have him get a funnel and the empty antifreeze jugs. Pull the drain plug or anode rod from the water heater outside and recover the antifreeze. You can choose whether to reuse it or buy more, but get it out. Heater will need flushing before you use it again.

Then decide if you want to go with antifreeze back in the fresh tank again or get a kit to draw into the pump from the jugs. The fresh tank will need sanitizing before using it, anyway.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #14

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your insight and suggestions.

Tags
water, winterizing, winter, pace arrow, ace, vision