Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #1

World’s stupidest toilet system needs repair

Help please. I have a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33c. The vacuflush system is, hands down, the stupidest toilet system to put into an Rv. Seriously they should have awards for stupidity in design. Fleetwood would win.

Anyhow my bellows have gone and, of course, there’s no way to find a replacement part. Can anyone help me? I can’t use the toilet until I get this cleaned up and repaired

By the way, the rv will be for sale as soon as the toilet is fixed
Nuiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a water line to the unit, why not dump it and go with a simple ball valve toilet?
It would make life simpler for the new owner.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #3

I’ve asked about that but apparently it’s impossible. I need the parts number for the bellows
Nuiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Help please. I have a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33c. The vacuflush system is, hands down, the stupidest toilet system to put into an Rv. Seriously they should have awards for stupidity in design. Fleetwood would win.

Anyhow my bellows have gone and, of course, there’s no way to find a replacement part. Can anyone help me? I can’t use the toilet until I get this cleaned up and repaired

By the way, the rv will be for sale as soon as the toilet is fixed
Sealand Vacuflush is an excellent system but nothing lasts forever without proper maintenance. These people have parts and are very patient and helpful: https://ardemco.com/vacuflush-toilet...flush-toilets/
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I’ve asked about that but apparently it’s impossible. I need the parts number for the bellows
OK..Now You need to get the model number(s) of the vacuum pump..(should be on the back of the vacuum tank near the electrical connections

And the brand/model of the toilet
Take pic's so if needed You can attach to an E-Mail if needed..
The pic's will assist the supply house with identifying what You have.
NOTE!!! Take Pic's of all electrical connections BEFORE You start disassembly!

Then contact a Marine supply house''

Also order the "Duck Bills". You RV is new enough that it may need the 2".

I have had good luck with several..

https://marinesan.com/about-us/

Also Here..
https://www.environmentalmarine.com

You may have something similar to this.. available at both of the above suppliers.
https://www.environmentalmarine.com/...ld-kit-ks0012/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180207_133606 (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	383800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180202_144158.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	383801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180205_201049 (1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	383802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180202_144136 (2).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	383803  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, there is a make, model and year I'm glad I steered away from.

I agree with the OP. Seems like a dumb idea of a simple toilet. Mr. Crapper and Mr. Goldberg would be proud.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #7

The vacuflush is in Bounders because people seem to like the floorplans. Remote bathrooms and one black tank means no drop toilets allowed. The vacuflush allows the toilet to be anywhere and the black tank to also be anywhere. It does not have to be right over the black tank. As always Caveat Emptor or do you research before you buy.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
If you have a water line to the unit, why not dump it and go with a simple ball valve toilet?
It would make life simpler for the new owner.

Mike in Colorado
Good Idea in theory, However, They went with the vacuum toilet [or the macernator ] because the black tank is NOT directly beneath the toilet.. In Our case, the toilet is several feet away from the tank.. [This was done in order to maximize fuel,fresh water/black & gray water tanks in a consolidated area.] [200/112/60 & 115 gallon respectively]
Old 01-04-2023, 06:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to me it is not the vac-u-flush that is bad, it is where the pump is mounted. this system is used in a lot in boats but they usually have access to pump. BTW mine is original and still working fine with needed care and maintenance. I also carry a complete rebuild kit just in case.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Good Idea in theory, However, They went with the vacuum toilet [or the macernator ] because the black tank is NOT directly beneath the toilet.. In Our case, the toilet is several feet away from the tank.. [This was done in order to maximize fuel,fresh water/black & gray water tanks in a consolidated area.] [200/112/60 & 115 gallon respectively]
Ooops. My bad.
Boy did we dodge that bullet when we got our Pace Arrow. I never even checked for that feature.
So glad it's our "forever" coach.

Mike in Colorado
Old 01-04-2023, 10:23 PM   #11

The key is lots of water and not a lot of toilet paper. Always flush a 3/4 to full bowl. This helps prevent stuff getting stuck in duck bill valves.

I calculated that to be 1/2 gallon of water… so I get about 80 flushes max… I try to stay under 60 flushes before I figure the black tank is full and needs dumping. On my 35k they could have made the mid bath a direct drop as black tank is right below that toilet. Would have been nice in case the vacuflush fails.

I also clean my system by using Pinesol and Calgon beads. Mix up 5 gallons of water, a bottle of Pinesol, and a scoop of Calgon beads. Dump in toilets and drains. Let sit for 30 minutes and do full rinse. It foams up and does a great job on tanks, vacuflush, and smells clean. My tank sensors now read correctly as well.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:09 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
The key is lots of water and not a lot of toilet paper. Always flush a 3/4 to full bowl. This helps prevent stuff getting stuck in duck bill valves.

I calculated that to be 1/2 gallon of water… so I get about 80 flushes max… I try to stay under 60 flushes before I figure the black tank is full and needs dumping. On my 35k they could have made the mid bath a direct drop as black tank is right below that toilet. Would have been nice in case the vacuflush fails.

I also clean my system by using Pinesol and Calgon beads. Mix up 5 gallons of water, a bottle of Pinesol, and a scoop of Calgon beads. Dump in toilets and drains. Let sit for 30 minutes and do full rinse. It foams up and does a great job on tanks, vacuflush, and smells clean. My tank sensors now read correctly as well.
DO NOT use the Calgon Beads in a vacuum or macenator system.. they really play hell with the duck bills/bellows and/or macenator pump. Use the Calgon liquid instead..
Old 01-05-2023, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
OK..Now You need to get the model number(s) of the vacuum pump..(should be on the back of the vacuum tank near the electrical connections

And the brand/model of the toilet
Take pic's so if needed You can attach to an E-Mail if needed..
The pic's will assist the supply house with identifying what You have.
NOTE!!! Take Pic's of all electrical connections BEFORE You start disassembly!

Then contact a Marine supply house''

Also order the "Duck Bills". You RV is new enough that it may need the 2".

I have had good luck with several..

https://marinesan.com/about-us/

Also Here..
https://www.environmentalmarine.com

You may have something similar to this.. available at both of the above suppliers.
https://www.environmentalmarine.com/...ld-kit-ks0012/
Yes! Duck bills are a must. Specially after 10 years. Pay attention to how they came out and replace them the same direction.

The bellows may be stuck in place with calcium build up around the mouth. Take your time and old one will come out. CLR or other acid based product is good to clean up the plastic bellows housing before installing the new one.

The bellows are very durable but ten years is good service. The only time we needed to change them was when someone inadvertently put something down the toilet. One time I found a peach pit and another a small stainless washer.

After that amount of time also replace the ball seal. Also, there is a spring in the flushing valve that makes the peddle pop back up. It can start to get laze or break. One time I had to make a support to hold up the peddle so water wouldn't leak into the bowl until finding a new spring. I would replace it or at least carry a spare spring.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
The vacuflush is in Bounders because people seem to like the floorplans. Remote bathrooms and one black tank means no drop toilets allowed. The vacuflush allows the toilet to be anywhere and the black tank to also be anywhere. It does not have to be right over the black tank. As always Caveat Emptor or do you research before you buy.

X2 the toilet is not located above the tank and it’s the only way to get the stuff to the tank. Kinda like on a airline. Very common on some larger boats.

Tags
repair, air, toilet