Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Would you make the deal?

Today wife and I looked at a 2011 Fleetwood Expedition 36M. Beautiful condition and under 17K miles. Told it was garage kept most of it’s life and from the condition I believe it. The generator has 620 hours. Wife was ready to OK a deal until we found two things.

First, the front slide on right side had most of the paint scraped off on the underside of the slide. Looks like it has been dragging along the bottom. I searched this form and found a thread that talked about a roller pulling loose, could this be the problem and if so how hard is it to fix? Or might it be some other problem?

Second, we found in the back bed room closet ceiling a section of water damage and wood rot. The area that we could see was about four inches in length and width. The salesman also pointed it out and told us the leak had been fixed several years ago and has never leaked again. We have had some rain almost every day for the last 50 days so I know the RV has been out in rain for at least the month it’s been on the lot.

I put my finger into the rotted wood and indeed it was totally dry. I don’t know how far the rot goes or if it is a structural problem because I don’t know how the roof is constructed on this coach. Can anyone tell me more about the roof construction?

I went up on the roof and found a soft spot that seemed to be about six inches all around where the leak would have been. The rest of the roof was very clean, solid and in good shape.

If we make a deal this will be our third MH so I am aware of other unseen issues that may show up later and I am prepared to deal with them. I’ve had to deal with wood rot in our other coaches but always in the floor from plumbing leaks and never in the roof.

If it was you would this be a deal breaker?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
Today wife and I looked at a 2011 Fleetwood Expedition 36M. Beautiful condition and under 17K miles. Told it was garage kept most of it’s life and from the condition I believe it. The generator has 620 hours. Wife was ready to OK a deal until we found two things.

First, the front slide on right side had most of the paint scraped off on the underside of the slide. Looks like it has been dragging along the bottom. I searched this form and found a thread that talked about a roller pulling loose, could this be the problem and if so how hard is it to fix? Or might it be some other problem?

Second, we found in the back bed room closet ceiling a section of water damage and wood rot. The area that we could see was about four inches in length and width. The salesman also pointed it out and told us the leak had been fixed several years ago and has never leaked again. We have had some rain almost every day for the last 50 days so I know the RV has been out in rain for at least the month it’s been on the lot.

I put my finger into the rotted wood and indeed it was totally dry. I don’t know how far the rot goes or if it is a structural problem because I don’t know how the roof is constructed on this coach. Can anyone tell me more about the roof construction?

I went up on the roof and found a soft spot that seemed to be about six inches all around where the leak would have been. The rest of the roof was very clean, solid and in good shape.

If we make a deal this will be our third MH so I am aware of other unseen issues that may show up later and I am prepared to deal with them. I’ve had to deal with wood rot in our other coaches but always in the floor from plumbing leaks and never in the roof.

If it was you would this be a deal breaker?
If it was me it would be a deal breaker for sure. It's one thing to deal with a water leak on your personal coach but to purchase one with known damage... that would for sure be a deal breaker. And the slide issue, another one as well. By the way, have you ever known a salesman to exaggerate a bit to help make a sale?
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

I’d walk away
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

Run away fast.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

Here is good test.. tell dealer you will buy, if they 1st make all repairs.. see what they say.. to me.. it sounds like 15,000.00 is what a good rv shop would charge.. and sence you got to ask... you probably don't have the tools or shop and or the skill.. what you see is no even the beginning.. that I can tell you from experience.. and even to get at it.. well that's more time and labor at 200.00 plus an hour.. so pass unless you have skill ,time, tools and big shop.. then you will uncover even more neglect.. that is what it is.. op, neglected coach.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 08-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #6

Is the price discounted to take repairs into account? If it was, I'd still consider it. But I'd find a way to dig into that ceiling first.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #7

I like bargains, I would like if the salesman pointed out the water damage before I found it, so I'd probably okay the deal in my head. UNTIL I heard and found that slide issue. That is really expensive and takes a big shop to work on. So as a DIY'er, I'd pass on that one. Repaired leak with no obvious wet after days of rain - Okay. Slide with a broken roller - Not okay. But I'd certain research the slide issue. Never know, could be an easy fix. And iRV2 isn't the only RV forum.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the input.

I do have the tools, both wood working and metal working. The time, wife and I are retired and the shop, 40 x 40 shop on my property to do the roof repairs if I wanted to take that on. But I don’t believe I could handle nor want to take on both the slide and roof.

Since we have just started looking to move up to a DP from a gasser we will pass on this one and keep looking.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
Thank you everyone for the input.

I do have the tools, both wood working and metal working. The time, wife and I are retired and the shop, 40 x 40 shop on my property to do the roof repairs if I wanted to take that on. But I don’t believe I could handle nor want to take on both the slide and roof.

Since we have just started looking to move up to a DP from a gasser we will pass on this one and keep looking.

On rigs 10 years or older also check air bag condition.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 AM   #10

I'd walk away....I don't know how to tackle that kind of repair, and it's to costly to have it done. There are rigs out there without any water damage or possible slide damage.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wood rot is a fungi, it won't stop, it will continue to grow as long as there's moisture; rain or high humidity. You could potentially remove any fixtures from the affected area and peal the roof membrane back enough to expose and cut the rotten wood out and replace but it would be a big job. In an RV shop with 2 experienced/certified RV techs on the job, it would be more than 40 hours labor plus parts. It's very doable yourself with the appropriate skill set, tools and time.

For the slide, have the sales person open & close it half a dozen times while you observe (and listen) from outside. If he/she won't do it, walk.