Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

ZEP

Anyone has experience with ZEP on a 05 Southwind? or an other rig ? Does it eventually peel off? How is it on the graphics?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

I didn't apply Zep but I applied plain old Mop and Glo floor "wax". Both are clear polymers that after several coats ( 5-6) will make your unit shine like crazy. You HAVE to clean the unit completely and don't be afraid to use Bar Keepers Friend or Dutch Cleanser to get it as clean as can be. Rinse, rinse, rinse. Then take your time and apply lite coats to avoid runs. Don't get discouraged, it will take many coats.

After you are done with the last coat, you will then want to go over it one more time with any of the spray on wipe off detailin products that have uv protection. You will want to do this a couple of times a year and will extend the service life of the coating.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

thank you, what about the vinyl graphics ? you scrub that with barkeepers friend? Isn't that an abrasive powder?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

I done the Zep a year ago and not had any yellowing or peeling. Any small scratches in your decals from Bar keepers friend will be covered with the applications of Zep. Make sure you do the proper prep work.
1st. coat: didn't do much
2nd. coat: Minor improvement.
3rd. coat: Starting to see some shine.
4th. coat: Now that's a shine.
5th. coat: Icing on the cake and to make sure no spots were missed.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

My Zep wet look (or RMP) started to peel in about 3 years. I used ALL the necessary prep. I just wash it with a well used green scotch bright and TSP, to smooth the edges. Rinse well and re-coat. All is good! Your mileage may vary.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

thanks for the response, but i am still not hearing if this can be applied right over the vinyl graphics. I live the high desert, Antelope Valley, CA where the summers get up to 110 ill effects of high temperature.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

Anyone tried putting Zep on with a paint roller
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
Anyone tried putting Zep on with a paint roller
Just finishing my Newmar , thin coats only , any runs will need to be removed , ammonia works but then you have to start over.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbelize View Post
thanks for the response, but i am still not hearing if this can be applied right over the vinyl graphics. I live the high desert, Antelope Valley, CA where the summers get up to 110 ill effects of high temperature.

I cleaned the graphics with a light wipe ( one direction , don't swirl , ) clean cloth and the barkeepers friend ( liquid ; make sure all the solids are shaken in ; stored, the solids settle quickly and pack solid on the bottom of the bottle) after cleaning and re-cleaning, then wipe the Zep on in thin coats, it's made for vinyl floors and makes the graphics look new.

Edit : As Raven7usa says, proper cleaning required then 5 thin coats, still two to go on the drivers side . After the first coat the rest are only taking me 8>10 mins after the dry time. Most of that is moving the ladder. Work on the shaded side , Zep dries too fast in direct sun.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #10

Thanks skip... I am just worrying it will peel in this CA desert sun. I think j will try the back end cap first and see how that goes.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #11

Skip what are you using to apply the zep brush, roller, sponge or cloth ?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used the Poly Glow instead of the Zep. They have all the right applicators to put it on.

Search the forum for Zep and Poly Glow and you will find a bunch of threads. Also Poly Glow has a video showing you how to apply it.
http://search.myway.com/search/video...Id=7HaRZzKswaY
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm re-Zepping my MH right now. DW and DD did the full clean and Zep treatment 4 years ago. The MH lives in southern FL all winter. The Zep doesn't peel, but slowly wears off with cleaning. The decals aren't affected by the process. The only scary part is using the Bar Keeper's Friend and the 3M scotchbrite on the finish. It will turn it very dull, however, the Zep brings out a very high gloss. I'm prepping mine with an ammonia scrub, followed by BKF, then a LA Awesome wash (don't use a car wash, which might have wax in it) and finally 5-6 coats of Zep on a WHITE cloth (don't use color as the color may transfer UNDER the Zep).
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #14

so, once you have cleaned with BKF using the 3M scotchbrite you will removed the gel coat, meaning that the finish will now be dull and looks like it has been oxidized? An if for whatever reason you don't like the finish and remove it you will be left with a dull RV ?