Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

2002 Foretravel

Hello everyone. I’m looking at foretravel motor homes and would like input on 2002 u 295. If anyone has one now or owned one please tell me your opinions on them. Also like the 320 model. What are the differences in the two coaches. I have a small motor home now but the better half wants something bigger to live in 6 moths a year. Thanks in advance and happy new year to all.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

The 2002 295 will probably have the ISL 400/1250 engine and propane furnaces.
Same year 320 will have the ISM 450/1450 and aqua-hot. Of course except for engines, you could option them like you want.
http://beamalarm.com/foretravel-link...d-manuals.html
Old 01-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

2002 foretravel

Okay on the motor i wonder if the 8 liter motor is big enough for the coach dont want to be underpowered. Any answers to that question?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

In 36 or 40 ft single rear axle, one or two slide coach, should be enough for most people.
Personally, I believe you can't have too much horsepower.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #5

2002 foretravel

Yeah I’m with you on the horsepower. Drove big rigs for 35 years
Old 01-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

2002 has a unique slide mechanism (train). Not necessarily a bad one, but understand that it's a bit different than later years. I *believe* it does not allow the slide to be pushed in when the time comes to replace the slide bladder, and that the slide has to come out via fork truck (same with earlier years).

Not sure on the length of coach or number of slides you are considering, but be aware in a 40' with 2 slides, you will be better served weight-wise with a tag axle, ESPECIALLY in a U320 (the engine and transmission are quite a bit heavier than in the U295). Even more important if the coach has all ceramic tile. If a non-tag 40 footer, get the coach corner-weighed (or at least axle-weighed) so you know what your loading limits are, especially if you are looking for a semi-fulltime use.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Our coach is a '02 40' model 320....single slide, with the tag axle,
It also has the one year only "Train" slide,(HWH did replace our slide bladder by pushing the slide in)
NOTE!... Foretravel uses an HWH inflatable bladder seal on their slides..gives you a positive no leak seal whether extended or retracted .. (not the "overlap/sharp exposed edges" of other manufacturers)

Up until 2016 (?) The Chassis/suspension & coachworks are all in-house design and produced by Foretravel..... As a driver You WILL enjoy the differences as compared to other mfg's.

This said... NO MATTER what coach you settle on..
An Independent INSPECTION by a person well versed in Foretravel Coaches is Imperative!
The "weak spots" on '02 to '06 coaches is the bulkhead bolts drilled out and replaced, and the front and rear caps cracking...nearly all coaches have had the necessary repairs already completed (our coach included)

Any more Questions ..just ask away ..
also sent you a PM ..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

2002 foretravel

Thanks everyone great info.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #9

[QUOTE=saddlesore;4569460]
It also has the one year only "Train" slide,(HWH did replace our slide bladder by pushing the slide in) [/QUOTE}

Thanks for chiming in and settling that one - I wasn't sure. I know the 2001's need to have the slide come out and I wasn't sure about the 2002 train slide ones.
Quote:
NOTE!... Foretravel uses an HWH inflatable bladder seal on their slides..gives you a positive no leak seal whether extended or retracted
Yes, but no seal when the bladder is deflated to move the slide in or out. That's the one time rain/condensation might come in, so it's important to drain the slide toppers first before moving the slide if there has been a lot of recent rain.

Also, replacement of a slide bladder is generally not a DIY job, and will run about $1000-1500 per slide room (size-dependent) due to the labor hours to remove the old adhesive and glue in a new one. Slide bladders appear to have about the same life as other rubber bits - 7 years on average, 10 if you're lucky, so budget for it based on when they were last changed out.

One other thing that comes to mind on an early 2002 *if* it has an AquaHot. In most of those, the AH is located deep within the belly of the coach and is a pain in the butt to service. The coach batteries, however, are readily accessed. In later coaches Foretravel changed to bury the batteries in that mid-line spot (since they were gels, they didn't need to be accessed as much) and moved the AH to a more readily-accessible location. MUCH better for annual AH service.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

My coach is 15 years old with original slide seals. No slide toppers, only has rubber squeegees. No problems so far. Have had 4 Foretravels, [97,99,2000,2003] nothing has "aged out" except tires. They do cost more than most other used coaches, but 10 or 20 years down the line, you will realize why.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
[QUOTE=spuds;4569634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
It also has the one year only "Train" slide,(HWH did replace our slide bladder by pushing the slide in) [/QUOTE}

Thanks for chiming in and settling that one - I wasn't sure. I know the 2001's need to have the slide come out and I wasn't sure about the 2002 train slide ones.

Yes, but no seal when the bladder is deflated to move the slide in or out. That's the one time rain/condensation might come in, so it's important to drain the slide toppers first before moving the slide if there has been a lot of recent rain.

Also, replacement of a slide bladder is generally not a DIY job, and will run about $1000-1500 per slide room (size-dependent) due to the labor hours to remove the old adhesive and glue in a new one. Slide bladders appear to have about the same life as other rubber bits - 7 years on average, 10 if you're lucky, so budget for it based on when they were last changed out.

One other thing that comes to mind on an early 2002 *if* it has an AquaHot. In most of those, the AH is located deep within the belly of the coach and is a pain in the butt to service. The coach batteries, however, are readily accessed. In later coaches Foretravel changed to bury the batteries in that mid-line spot (since they were gels, they didn't need to be accessed as much) and moved the AH to a more readily-accessible location. MUCH better for annual AH service.
On the outside of the coach above the slide is a rubber type "wiper", that seems to clear most if not all depris from the top of the slide.. under $10 and easy to replace..(use lots of windex and stretch and push in.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663 (1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	230765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	230766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666 (2).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	230769  
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

Maybe i will look for a 2003 instead i have to watch the pocketbook some cause i want to keep back money for what if stuff. But keep them coming guys and gals more info the better.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
Maybe i will look for a 2003 instead i have to watch the pocketbook some cause i want to keep back money for what if stuff. But keep them coming guys and gals more info the better.
keep in mind that 2002 was the last of the really big basement storage bays, in '03 FT "spread out" all the basement components,(batteries,AquaHot.plumping controls,slid controls, so most coaches lost half of the 2nd full width/depth storage bay..

Tags
travel