Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Allis transmission noise going into 4th gear

I have a 97 Foretravel, 40 foot with Allis automatic transmission I believe to be an HD4060R. I have had this about 5 years, haven't driven much because I was waiting to retire and just getting it paid for. I think it has had this noise going into 4th gear, kind of a growl, very short lived but definitely there, since I bought it but did not know enough about the coach to realize that was not normal. In checking with different Foretravel repair places, they don't do repair on transmissions but send them out to an Allis dealer and after talking to Allis dealers, they don't repair, they just swap out for a rebuilt transmission. They quote in the neighborhood of 7,900.00 not including the labor. They want 109 just to tell me if I should be worried about the growl or what it might be. Any clue as to whether I should get on the stick and get it replaced or if I can wait a while??
Rae Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Dene View Post
I have a 97 Foretravel, 40 foot with Allis automatic transmission I believe to be an HD4060R. I have had this about 5 years, haven't driven much because I was waiting to retire and just getting it paid for. I think it has had this noise going into 4th gear, kind of a growl, very short lived but definitely there, since I bought it but did not know enough about the coach to realize that was not normal. In checking with different Foretravel repair places, they don't do repair on transmissions but send them out to an Allis dealer and after talking to Allis dealers, they don't repair, they just swap out for a rebuilt transmission. They quote in the neighborhood of 7,900.00 not including the labor. They want 109 just to tell me if I should be worried about the growl or what it might be. Any clue as to whether I should get on the stick and get it replaced or if I can wait a while??
Rae Dene
First I would change the fluid to an Allison TS 295 synthetic fluid.... and the filters to the new Allison "High Capacity" filters.....and see how the transmission acts.
On-Highway Fluids
See also:
BTW if you send a sample if the old fluid to Blackstone Labs they will test it for you.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Mel
'96 Safari, Allison M3060
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

I go along with changing the fluid, now for the rest. Be sure to keep all used fluid in white buckets, now take the buckets outside and let the sun light up the surface of the oil, you are looking for anything that sparkles or any swirls in the fluid(not good if there) Next drag a magnet thru the fluid and see what gets attached, you hope nothing. Last cut open the auxillary oil filter and see what's in it, once again nothing would be good news.
A little trick with any of these seldom used Allisons, add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil when filling, that stuff works great keeping the rubbers goods soft and pliable.
Fred Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Transmission

If this were my Foretravel(and I do own one) I would go to a Detroit Diesel Allison dealer, have them hookup there computer to transmission and check for any stored codes, this will give you a look at what may or may not be going on, if there are no codes, have the fluid and filters changed and road tested, it could be something as simple as solenoid sticking, no matter what a charge of $109.00 is cheap insurance.
When you get a chance go to Foreforums.com and join the group, we have some of the best info on Foretravels around.

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL IS A NO NO IN AN ALLISION.
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

On your 4960R you can pull most of the fault codes via your trans push pad. Don't let someone sell you a pig in a poke as it takes a lot to brake a 4060R. Also if you have a Stewart & Stevenson close they do Allison repair also, If you are close to East Texas the one in Longview is the place that does the factory work so they are in the know.
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4travlin View Post
On your 4960R you can pull most of the fault codes via your trans push pad. Don't let someone sell you a pig in a poke as it takes a lot to brake a 4060R. Also if you have a Stewart & Stevenson close they do Allison repair also, If you are close to East Texas the one in Longview is the place that does the factory work so they are in the know.
I didn't proof this post . You have a 4060R not a 4960R (bad finger movement) if you have a '97 U-320.
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

There is no problem with using Marvel Mystery Oil, where do you get your info?
Hey ST687 you don't need to yell!!!!
[moderator edit]
Fred Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Smith View Post
There is no problem with using Marvel Mystery Oil, where do you get your info?
Hey ST687 you don't need to yell!!!!
I also believe additives are a no no My son works in the power train development area of the auto,truck and military industry and has told me that after market additives and re-programs are trans killers. He has been doing it for over 20 years so I believe him.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Dene View Post

Good advise to change the fluid to TES295 and filters to the High Capacity. I would also concur with sending a sample of the old fluid for analysis. I would send the sample to these folks:

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

You can post the results of the analysis on the Allison forum in the thread authored by Tom Johnson and he will give you an in depth explanation. Tom is a retired Allison engineer and he wrote the TES295 specification for Allison. Tom owns JG Lube Services.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

Go to Allison and get them to hook up the computer. They can check clutch pack pressure and shift it thru all the gears sitting still. It is worth the 109 bucks. If you are not on the Foreforums, you should join up. There is lots of information there but many of us are over here too but just do not read it every day.

I have a hard down shift into 4th and it has always done it on two different coaches. No growl but an abrupt downshift if I am under a high load.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, transmission