Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2023, 05:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Buying a like new used 2012 Foretravel or 2008 Magna CC

After months of research I narrowed down to a CC / Magna 2012
very good cond 3 owner I would be #4, not pristine needs about $4,000 in minor body work to make it pristine I am wired to need that (I spend more hours wash and wax my 31 Whaler more than use it but its relaxing to me)
I then found a 2012 Foretravel IH45 at dealer in TX one owner $80,000 more then the CC this Fore is mint.
I can afford to pay cash for the Fore (It's $40,000 over budget) but the value is worth more so my way of looking at it.

Is it really a better coach I like that they are still in biz and if for some reason as we return to RV after a 12 year hiatus will we like it or sell in 1 year? I have to believe I could move the Fore with better results, but the real question is ride, quality built and value as well as service and reliability thanks everyone for any thoughts from those that own Fores
kid gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 07:13 PM   #2

2012 was the first year of the IH. Most had the 2007-2010 pre-DEF ISX with the dry PTO. Be sure you understand that and what it entails (keeping the PTO greased, there is no wet kit that will fit). It will strand you on the road if you don't - the engine fans depend on that PTO.

Also understand that being a completely brand new model that year, there were some bugs to work out.
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ok thank you!
kid gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:21 PM   #4

The IH45 should have a better ride then the CC. It has HWH Active Air. When this system works it is great. I have had some problems with it but when it is working the handling is outstanding.

The 650 HP engines had some problems. Does the CC have the same engine.

Is the generator the 20KW one, if so that is the good generator.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
If you are looking at one of the Foretravel IH45s 2012 at MOT (two currently) in Nacogdoches, I looked at both of those too. They are very nice coaches in great shape. One is pre-def and one is not as I recall. We ultimately decided to spend extra on a 2014 IH they had just got in (never even had pictures on the web side...we were very lucky to catch this one when we did).

We moved up from a 2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus. I have to say WORLD of difference so far. The bus was a big upgrade from our 2002 Dutch Star at the time.

MOT has been great to deal with. I purchased the bus back in 2015 (will never buy new again) and then sold it through them during Covid. We are back to FT now in the IH45 and are impressed with engineering, design, quality and most of all the systems. No more Schwintek slides!

Good luck in your final decision. As I said those 2012s are both great models and in great shape. One thing you should do is check the date on the tires too before you take one off the lot. I was a stickler they can be more than 4 years old.
tsonby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, travel