Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 15
Foretravel slide question

Hi all,
curious to learn more about the slides and mechanisms on the for travel coaches.
are all the slides of the flush fit rounded corner style? all seal with air bladders? why do I see some of their slides with slide toppers and some with out.

looks like a nice product, website could use an overhaul


Thanks,
Ken
__________________
2020 40IH
Ken k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,813
Think you will find most slide coaches have flange type seals, that compress when slide is closed and naturally expand when slide is out. But believe in new coaches, think only Newell and Foretravel have the expanding bladder type seals,which allow for a fully flush surface, but may be wrong. Some coaches have toppers and some don't, and is an option on many coaches.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
But believe in new coaches, think only Newell and Foretravel have the expanding bladder type seals,which allow for a fully flush surface, but may be wrong.
Renegade Ikon uses the same system. Other levels of Renegade do not.

Prevost conversions also have a flush slide system. I don't believe it's the same as the HWH one used by Foretravel and the Ikon.

Slide bladder replacement is not a DIY job - they last about 7-10 years and are about $2-3K per slide to replace (depends on year and slide size), labor and materials.
__________________
2017 LTV Unity U24CB
2003 Foretravel U320
1999 Lazy Daze 30IB
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Renegade Ikon uses the same system. Other levels of Renegade do not.

Prevost conversions also have a flush slide system. I don't believe it's the same as the HWH one used by Foretravel and the Ikon.

Slide bladder replacement is not a DIY job - they last about 7-10 years and are about $2-3K per slide to replace (depends on year and slide size), labor and materials.
Thanks, forgot about Prevost, some have a flush slide but do not have a inflatable bladder like the Foretravel and Newell.
Didn't know about the Renegade Ikon, the fact that they use the bladder seal indicates a quality Super C. I can see why they are expensive.
BTY my coach is 17 years old and has just now required a rear slide seal, and yes $3K plus, but some slides can be pushed into the coach to be changed, unfortunately some have to remove the slide to replace the seal.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DRM901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North Texas
Posts: 419
If you are interested in a used one, I think Motorhomes of Texas has one of the largest selection of used Foretravels. And since they are only a mile or so down the road from the Foretravel assembly site, see if they do tours and do a 2-fer. (Motorhomes of Texas also has Newells, Prevost, etc.)

Newmar has flush slides, but not bladder seals.

We were amazed at how spacious the Foretravels are, even with the slides in. But basement space was limited for the length.
__________________
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
DRM901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Ken,

I added a slide topper to my slides in order to keep the tops of the slides clear of leaves, etc. when it is slid in for travel.

Dave
evaporatorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 15
Thanks all for the info. Besides the beautiful flush fit and finish and flat floors, how about things like the mechanism, adjustment, general user experience. I really want to understand all of this as slides are a big issue for me. I'd love to upgrade but not for nothing. Here's a few other things

If no slide toppers any issues with leaking from rain? Any leaks during road use?
Is there any type of wiper seal on the top? Do you have to clean to of slide after an extended stay?

What is the process of extending or retracting slides. How long does it take?

Do you get a good solid road experience? Rattles, leaks

What is the mechanism that creates the in and out movement? Electric, hydraulic, gears? Do the slides operate well in cold weather? How do they operate as far as level or twist?

Any other known quirks? I haven't found alot of info on YouTube or else where. Nothing locally to me that I know of.
__________________
2020 40IH
Ken k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar


 
Foretravel Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Home is Where WE PARK IT...
Posts: 4,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
If you are interested in a used one, I think Motorhomes of Texas has one of the largest selection of used Foretravels. And since they are only a mile or so down the road from the Foretravel assembly site, see if they do tours and do a 2-fer. (Motorhomes of Texas also has Newells, Prevost, etc.)

Newmar has flush slides, but not bladder seals.

We were amazed at how spacious the Foretravels are, even with the slides in. But basement space was limited for the length.
The physical size of the fuel/black/gray/fresh tanks take up a lot of basement space.... Compare them to other mfg's tank sizes...
__________________
Retired truckdriver, Full Timing in a Foretravel.
Escapees of Box Elder, South Dakota
....Whether our shack is moving or parked.. We are still home.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cypress, Tx.
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken k View Post
Thanks all for the info. Besides the beautiful flush fit and finish and flat floors, how about things like the mechanism, adjustment, general user experience. I really want to understand all of this as slides are a big issue for me. I'd love to upgrade but not for nothing. Here's a few other things

If no slide toppers any issues with leaking from rain? Any leaks during road use?
Is there any type of wiper seal on the top? Do you have to clean to of slide after an extended stay?

What is the process of extending or retracting slides. How long does it take?

Do you get a good solid road experience? Rattles, leaks

What is the mechanism that creates the in and out movement? Electric, hydraulic, gears? Do the slides operate well in cold weather? How do they operate as far as level or twist?

Any other known quirks? I haven't found alot of info on YouTube or else where. Nothing locally to me that I know of.

Answers

I have no slide awning. I was concerned at first but have not had a problem not having them.

Mine has a wiper at the top to remove water and anything else on top when I pull the sides in.

To open slide in my coach, some may different. Verify switch is in passenger or driver side position to know what slide I am moving out. Check outside to make sure plenty of room so will not hit anything up high or down low such as post, power pole, picket table, or tree. Turn key switch to the side and wait for the yellow light to stop flashing. Once light is on solid then hit the extend or retract but if bringing back it. Watch slide to verify both sides are moving together. Also before moving slide I make sure there is nothing inside that is in way of the slide. Once slide is in or out I keep holding down button for a little while and then let go. I was taught to hold the button until the pressure switch turned off the compressor but I feel the lines being under such high pressure all the time was causing me problems so now do not hold that long after slides are at their position.

I have seen no difference in cold or hot weather. I am told snow and ice on the slides can cause some problems but never had snow or side on slides. Both sides should go out together but need to watch to verify. System is hydraulics. I have not timed how long it takes for them to go in our out but not a long time compared to 5th wheeler I had.

So far the only leaks I have had it in the compartment doors.
__________________
2014 Foretravel IH45
Houston (Cypress), TX.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
If you are interested in a used one, I think Motorhomes of Texas has one of the largest selection of used Foretravels. And since they are only a mile or so down the road from the Foretravel assembly site, see if they do tours and do a 2-fer. (Motorhomes of Texas also has Newells, Prevost, etc.)

Newmar has flush slides, but not bladder seals.

We were amazed at how spacious the Foretravels are, even with the slides in. But basement space was limited for the length.
MHT was started by an ex Foretravel executive. Similar customer service approach, and they do handle a lot of used Foretravels as well as Newells and Prevosts.

I bought a 2019 LADP from them and have been really impressed with their after sale customer service.
__________________
Steve & Carrie
2019 London Aire 4576, Spartan K3, 605 Cummins
2019 F250 King Ranch 4x4
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide, travel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drivers seat restricted fore/aft travel speedway Newmar Owner's Forum 5 11-07-2020 04:58 PM
Inside Travel Trailer weight fore and Aft Tradevman Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 21 10-05-2018 05:08 PM
Slide adjustment fore and aft timeforus Monaco Owner's Forum 10 06-16-2014 03:43 PM
C. M. Fore JSW Foretravel Owner's Forum 1 08-09-2011 10:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.