Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2017 Realm. It’s not a major problem but it is a nuisance. On the glass dash when a camera is activated either backup or turn signal it is supposed to show up on the dash (not just the camera screen) all I get is a large black space that covers almost the whole screen. I know it is a setting and I called Silverleaf but they could not walk me through the setting. I have the manual and it does not cover it. I know it works because in the past when I picked it up from Foretravel they had it working.
Bobl and Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 05:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobl and Jud View Post
I have a 2017 Realm. It’s not a major problem but it is a nuisance. On the glass dash when a camera is activated either backup or turn signal it is supposed to show up on the dash (not just the camera screen) all I get is a large black space that covers almost the whole screen. I know it is a setting and I called Silverleaf but they could not walk me through the setting. I have the manual and it does not cover it. I know it works because in the past when I picked it up from Foretravel they had it working.
Do you have the same black screen with right or left turn signal? When you press the hazard flashers with the engine running the screen should go to split screen and show at least 4 cameras, if you have that many. What are you seeing. If you are getting a black screen, problem could be a couple of
things. First is that the camera(s) have come unplugged from the back of the silverleaf screen. (I am assuming you have a silverleaf dash and not a spartan dash) Other is the setting in the silvlerleaf screen setting have changed. To check what the screen is set up for press the "PROG" button on the control that is near the dash. Scroll down by turning the dial. There is a setting for Rear Camera, Left Blinker, and Right Blinker. These should be different video inputs.

Not sure if this is your screen but here is the manual for the VMS-645
https://silverleafelectronics.com/wp...anual-v4.1.pdf
Old 10-18-2021, 05:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
I have a deposit on a 22 realm. Going to see it Tuesday. I admit I’m a bit discouraged reading this thread. Are these covid issues or is the company going the way of others like Country Coach, which I own now?
Congratulation on your new coach.

If you are thinking they are going to go bankrupt I don't think so. I was told by a salesman at MHSRV three weeks ago that the years production was already sold except for 2 coaches. Last Saturday when I was driving by they had on their big sign out front that said "Increasing Production, Now Hiring"
Old 10-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I am not with the coach right now so I cannot check on a couple of your suggestions. But yes the black box is there for all 3 cameras. I do have a Silverleaf dash. It is the VMS-647. Thanks for the link to the 645, I started with a copy of the 645. It has specific directions for getting the cameras on the dash. There is no mention of cameras in the 647 manual. Thanks for the help, I will follow up when I am on the coach.
Bobl and Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post

If you are thinking they are going to go bankrupt I don't think so. I was told by a salesman at MHSRV three weeks ago that the years production was already sold except for 2 coaches. Last Saturday when I was driving by they had on their big sign out front that said "Increasing Production, Now Hiring"

Thanks. Not really worried about solvency as much as support and in general the overall experience. If I’m stepping up to foretravel I want it to be the whole package. In part that’s what I’m trying to buy.

I’ve heard such negative things about the other brands. I just can’t go there.

I just can’t imagine a 7 figure purchase and not being able to get a phone call returned
so that’s what led me to post.

Is this still the premium brand and service, plain and simple ?
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobl and Jud View Post
I am not with the coach right now so I cannot check on a couple of your suggestions. But yes the black box is there for all 3 cameras. I do have a Silverleaf dash. It is the VMS-647. Thanks for the link to the 645, I started with a copy of the 645. It has specific directions for getting the cameras on the dash. There is no mention of cameras in the 647 manual. Thanks for the help, I will follow up when I am on the coach.
When I was in the dash of mine a while back and tracing wires I think there was another box that the cameras go into before going to the dash.

You do know that you can change between the cameras on the small screen that normally just shows the rear camera. You might check there and see if you can view the cameras. May be that something else has broken up stream.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #21

Tom,

Here a few random thoughts and comments, not in any order or ...

I am on my 4th Foretravel since around maybe 1990. I try to keep up with the RV industry and if I was to buy a new coach today it would be another Foretravel. (If I could find one to buy)

I also live in Cypress and not that far from FOT. I also have a father-in-law that lives in Naco and every time I go visit him I go by FOT, some times am there around 4-6 times a year.

I have friends that have New Entegra's and Newmars. I would say that Entregra customer support is the best of the three. There is no (none) comparison of quality between the FT and the other two. Things break, mine included.

When you go to FOT for service and you have a problem you have James T. to go to. Since he has taken over service he is always, at least every time I have been, around. After you leave you will get a survey in the mail asking how things went.

Recall 9903569 - Window Adhesive Failure - 2019-2021 Entegra Anthem, Aspire, Cornerstone, Insignia, Reatta, & Jayco Embark Recreational Vehicles. I have not heard of a Foretravel having a window falling out besides RR but have heard of a lot of others that have had the problem.

When your coach is out of warranty or need maintenance service you can also get that done at Motorhomes of Texas. They are right down the street and know Fortravels well.

Not too long ago on foreforums there was a thread about the great service someone got at FOT

I think that there are more people that comment on forums when they have had bad service or had a problem then when everything went perfect.

I have been told by owners of Newell's if you want the top notch over top customer support then go buy a Newell.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #22

I would question how much of your frustration is with Foretravel vs how much is related to all the "gadgets" all these newer high-end coaches have.

Kind of the OPPOSITE of KISS.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post

If you are thinking they are going to go bankrupt I don't think so. I was told by a salesman at MHSRV three weeks ago that the years production was already sold except for 2 coaches.
Yeah, but what's the production volume? A couple of years ago it was sub-20 units and Lyle Reed was actively looking to unload the company.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
I would question how much of your frustration is with Foretravel vs how much is related to all the "gadgets" all these newer high-end coaches have.

Kind of the OPPOSITE of KISS.
I would agree with Brett on this. Most of people I hear complaining about their newer RV's lately have had to do with the "fluff" more so than the meat and potatoes of the actual coach, with the exception of the DEF head issues.

I am a firm believer of the KISS principle in pretty much everything I own. Probably due to the fact that I have had to do reliability engineering in much of my full-time job in the Industrial Maintenance arena. It has spilled over into my personal life and projects.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #25

Team foretravel

Test driving coach now. No air leveling only jacks ?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Team foretravel

Test driving coach now. No air leveling only jacks ?
That would be a deal breaker for me. I don't care to have hydraulic leveling jacks on anything weighing over about 26k pounds. Less than that they're acceptable but over that my experience has been less than desirable. Air leveling only for me.

Even with the negative comments about Foretravel I still think overall they're a great coach but I don't rely on factory service as I do all my own work so that may be the difference.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
That would be a deal breaker for me. I don't care to have hydraulic leveling jacks on anything weighing over about 26k pounds. Less than that they're acceptable but over that my experience has been less than desirable. Air leveling only for me.

Even with the negative comments about Foretravel I still think overall they're a great coach but I don't rely on factory service as I do all my own work so that may be the difference.

Apparently it does have air leveling too. Finding out more.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Apparently it does have air leveling too. Finding out more.
I thought that was odd as usually when a coach has just one, it's air rather than hydraulic. Having both could be useful if you find yourself needing it but my opinion is that is just another system to have to work on or around. I'm glad mine has air only especially when I have to work underneath on the chassis and glad I don't have hydraulic jacks to have to work around and less hydraulic hoses to have leak. KISS principle, and you already have a full air system so no need for hydraulic as well.

Tags
rust, service, travel