Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 04:34 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Thanks. Yes, they say slide toppers not necessary with these slides but they are installed.
Initially I liked the fact that my Realm doesn't have slide toppers because it makes it look nice and sleek when the slides are in. However, I now wish I had them. There have been a few times I've had to put the slides in after it had been raining and the tops of the slides were pretty wet. When I put them in, water sometimes drips inside the coach. So I think you'll be happy you have them.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
Initially I liked the fact that my Realm doesn't have slide toppers because it makes it look nice and sleek when the slides are in. However, I now wish I had them. There have been a few times I've had to put the slides in after it had been raining and the tops of the slides were pretty wet. When I put them in, water sometimes drips inside the coach. So I think you'll be happy you have them.
My coach does not have them either. The person I bought it from said he looked at getting them but decided against once he saw the cost to add. I Looked at getting them but when I saw the cost decided I really did not need them either.

The book says if wet or raining lean the coach to the one side. Let the water drain off and then pull the sides in, then lean coach the other side, let drain and then pull them in. One time I did not follow that advice and filled the floor of the coach with water. it is amazing how much water just sits on top of the slides.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #45

Zmotorsports. I follow you in the Momaco forum. We have an 08 Dynasty and when I look at what is available today our Dynasty looks better all the time. You are a talented person and I doubt any Class A would meet your standards. If it weren't for the pandemic I would have bought a 40 ft. Prevost Marathon. The 40,s are hard to find but I thought a 45 was too big. You will be impressed with the workmanship.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Zmotorsports. I follow you in the Momaco forum. We have an 08 Dynasty and when I look at what is available today our Dynasty looks better all the time. You are a talented person and I doubt any Class A would meet your standards. If it weren't for the pandemic I would have bought a 40 ft. Prevost Marathon. The 40,s are hard to find but I thought a 45 was too big. You will be impressed with the workmanship.
Thank you. I appreciate the comments.

As for workmanship, I have been impressed with the Foretravels and Newells that I have worked on first hand and have drooled over the mid-2000's Prevost conversions by Liberty, Marathon and Parliament. The newer ones would make me a bit nervous with all of the electronics and much of which needs to be worked on at the factory or dealerships as there are so many proprietary components that it makes it hard for even the most handy of people be able to work on. The newest Newell that I have worked on was a 2006 and was still easily troubleshot and work on with the basic of tools and knowledge.

My worry about anything new these days, taking purchase cost out of the equations, is owning something that is difficult or impossible to work on by the owner. I would rather keep my old hard-wired and pre-emission Dynasty than one of the newer RV's with all of the emissions equipment and multi-plex wiring that is not as easy to troubleshoot or repair.

I feel our retirement coach may have emissions related components in it but I would like to keep the house side as basic as possible and not have something I have to take to a dealer or factory for repair. That is not what I want in a retirement coach.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:06 PM   #47

Somewhat unrelated question, but does anyone know if it was certain years that had the delamination issues on Foretravels. Cant seem to find how often it has occurred.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Somewhat unrelated question, but does anyone know if it was certain years that had the delamination issues on Foretravels. Cant seem to find how often it has occurred.
Early 2000's on the slide room.

2007-2010 (and possibly later, with 08 and 09 being the worst) sidewalls and some fiberglass/finish issues on tops of sliderooms. The sidewall issue costs upwards of $30K to repair. There are a few discussions on foreforums about this.
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #49

Thanks spuds, I thought I had heard sometime back that 08-09 was worst. Ill pass on all those years, don't need that risk.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Thanks spuds, I thought I had heard sometime back that 08-09 was worst. Ill pass on all those years, don't need that risk.
Watch out on the Phenix in that era (through at least 2010) as well for a dry PTO for the fans. There is no room for a wet kit like Country Coach did, so the owner is responsible for keeping the PTO greased or risk cooling failure. Left a good friend stranded...

Foretravel knew about it but didn't proactively share with owners.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #51

Wow, now a PTO issue as well. After thinking for years a Foretravel would be our last coach we have now decided that is not going to be. Not sure where we are going to turn now. Again thanks much for the heads up.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Wow, now a PTO issue as well. After thinking for years a Foretravel would be our last coach we have now decided that is not going to be. Not sure where we are going to turn now. Again thanks much for the heads up.
If you think other brands are better, you are up for a rude awakening. I have a lot of friends with other coaches and they all have problems.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #53

Yes, welcome to the world of big, expensive, complex machines.

I am talking about ALL of them, with the more complex/higher end likely better built, but more "stuff" to break.

Applies equally to all-- this is not Foretravel-specific.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:21 PM   #54

I fully agree guys, as I have had plenty of issues with my Travel Supreme over the last 10 years . Just want to avoid the big dollar repairs if possible.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:46 PM   #55

Quote:
I fully agree guys, as I have had plenty of issues with my Travel Supreme over the last 10 years . Just want to avoid the big dollar repairs if possible.

Which kind of leads us back to the original desired question. Is Foretravel still a premium brand and are their warranty and service after the sale better than others. ? I expect very little from my selling dealer as I’m
3000 mikes away. I guess the new local authorized repair facility in Vegas is 24/7 motor coach. I think they have a good reputation.

While mostly done on my coach the check has not been written.

I’m a very realistic RV guy. I know things break and will need attention, constantly.

I’m getting away from a 2005 Country Coach which has been great but the Foretravel drove night and day different than mine. I enjoy the technology and creature comforts so really looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks again.
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Which kind of leads us back to the original desired question. Is Foretravel still a premium brand and are their warranty and service after the sale better than others. ?
It is still considered a premium brand over, say, Entegra or Newmar, but not over Newell, but the gap is significantly smaller over New Aire, Essex, London Aire, and King Aire than it was in years past (pre-current company ownership).

Cannot speak to warranty. Service after the sale *may* be better if you are going to Nac for service but not any different if you are going to a selling dealership, especially one that isn't familiar with the slide system or Active Air, if the coach in question has it.

One of the main reasons we would not consider a newer FT after selling our 2003 (which was a fabulous coach) is that we were tired of either having to take the coach to Nac for service on things we couldn't do ourselves or learning how to do them ourselves if we were too far away. We became somewhat expert at diagnosing and addressing air leveling issues on our own, especially after FT service created a significant leak in their shop and could not be bothered to find or fix it (and we had one visit where literally everything the FT tech touched he screwed up and in one instance tried to hide the damage)...

Tags
rust, service, travel