Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

Question IC-37 HydraLift?

My wife and I will be retiring in about 18 months and hitting the road (FT). At this point I know very little about calculating carrying capacity. So please excuse this newbie question:

Is the IC-37 capable of supporting an 800 lb. BMW-K1600GT motorcycle on a HydraLift? We will also need to flat tow a sub-5000 lb. vehicle.

Or do I need to be looking at something more robust for that purpose?

I don't mind the idea of a 40'+ Tag Axle Class A. But I feel that we will rarely need to sleep more than just the two of us. And the ability to visit length restrictive parks is quite appealing. The maneuverability is also very appealing.
bstabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

There isn't many IC-37 coaches on the road, there is some question as to if they are going to keep them in the Foretravel line up. [Mod Edit]

4T
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4travlin View Post
There isn't many IC-37 coaches on the road, there is some question as to if they are going to keep them in the Foretravel line up.
Thanks 4T.

My instinct has been that I should be looking at a rig with tag axle anyway. More cargo capacity and ride stability.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstabile View Post
Thanks 4T.

My instinct has been that I should be looking at a rig with tag axle anyway. More cargo capacity and ride stability.
You may want to consider a Newmar Ventana, Dutchstar, or Mountain Aire (depending on your budget). 40 footers with tag axle and 1,500 pound hitch capacity.
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
You may want to consider a Newmar Ventana, Dutchstar, or Mountain Aire (depending on your budget). 40 footers with tag axle and 1,500 pound hitch capacity.
Hi Sipester. Thanks for the recommendations, though I'm pretty sure you meant 15k hitch capacity.

I've actually been focusing my research on the Newmar models from Dutch Star through London Aire. The latter is at the very top end of my budget. But I like the idea of the 605 cummins (plenty of horse power and torque). The Essex and King Aire are not on my radar due to cost. Even if I could justify spending that much, I'm not sure we need or care about the additional "bling".

The higher-end ForeTravel models are simply too much for my budget. But I have looked at a few used listings that might be a possibility. If I decide to go that route I'd want to keep aside substantial funds to update tires, batteries, selected electronics, and possibly furniture if needed.

Since my target retirement date is at least 18 months out, I'm going to keep researching. I'm a bit of a techno geek, so I don't want to dip too far into the vintage category. I'm fairly handy, but I'm sure my wife would quickly tire if I were to dive into a never-ending project.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Sipester. Thanks for the recommendations, though I'm pretty sure you meant 15k hitch capacity.

I've actually been focusing my research on the Newmar models from Dutch Star through London Aire. The latter is at the very top end of my budget. But I like the idea of the 605 cummins (plenty of horse power and torque). The Essex and King Aire are not on my radar due to cost. Even if I could justify spending that much, I'm not sure we need or care about the additional "bling".

The higher-end ForeTravel models are simply too much for my budget. But I have looked at a few used listings that might be a possibility. If I decide to go that route I'd want to keep aside substantial funds to update tires, batteries, selected electronics, and possibly furniture if needed.

Since my target retirement date is at least 18 months out, I'm going to keep researching. I'm a bit of a techno geek, so I don't want to dip too far into the vintage category. I'm fairly handy, but I'm sure my wife would quickly tire if I were to dive into a never-ending project.
I did mean "hitch capacity" based on your need for the hydralift (I recognize the towing capacity for all those is 15,000 pounds). I'm not aware of any single axle coach (other than a Super C) that has a hitch capacity of more than 1,000. It appears that the weight of the hydralift and motorcycle would be more than 1,000. If you are looking for a non-45 foot class A then I think those 3 Newmar's are your only option.

If you don't mind going to 45 feet, then the London Aire definitely has some great benefits (Entegra Cornerstone might be another option).
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
I did mean "hitch capacity" based on your need for the hydralift (I recognize the towing capacity for all those is 15,000 pounds). I'm not aware of any single axle coach (other than a Super C) that has a hitch capacity of more than 1,000. It appears that the weight of the hydralift and motorcycle would be more than 1,000. If you are looking for a non-45 foot class A then I think those 3 Newmar's are your only option.

If you don't mind going to 45 feet, then the London Aire definitely has some great benefits (Entegra Cornerstone might be another option).
Although I haven't yet gotten around to thoroughly researching the HydraLift yet, I was under the impression that it is welded into the chassis frame rails somehow. That, I guess, means it may not be strictly tied to the hitch tongue weight (?). But I think you are correct in suggesting that a tag axle would be required, or at least desirable, for a class A coach.

I've also looked at the SuperC rigs (e.g. Renegade). Those seem to be more than capable of handling the additional angular load, not to mention the incredible towing capacity (not that I would ever be pulling a stacker trailer). I'm just not sure my DW would be happy about the ergonomics of a truck chassis/cab. Personally, I think I might even prefer a SuperC, from a maintenance perspective (as well as the "knarly" form factor). She cares more about the living space, the integration of the cab into that space, and the view from the cockpit. And frankly, it is hard to argue against the superior basement storage and turning radius available on the larger Class A rigs.

Decisions, decisions. There are so many tempting alternatives!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #8

Hydralift

Quote:
Although I haven't yet gotten around to thoroughly researching the HydraLift yet, I was under the impression that it is welded into the chassis frame rails somehow. That, I guess, means it may not be strictly tied to the hitch tongue weight (?). But I think you are correct in suggesting that a tag axle would be required, or at least desirable, for a class A coach.

I've also looked at the SuperC rigs (e.g. Renegade). Those seem to be more than capable of handling the additional angular load, not to mention the incredible towing capacity (not that I would ever be pulling a stacker trailer). I'm just not sure my DW would be happy about the ergonomics of a truck chassis/cab. Personally, I think I might even prefer a SuperC, from a maintenance perspective (as well as the "knarly" form factor). She cares more about the living space, the integration of the cab into that space, and the view from the cockpit. And frankly, it is hard to argue against the superior basement storage and turning radius available on the larger Class A rigs.

Decisions, decisions. There are so many tempting alternatives!
For what it's worth I have a hydralift on my tiffin ih40, no tag, and carry a 2018 Goldwing. Hydralift requires a custom install that doesn't use the tow hitch in any way. I would suggest the frame rails should be able to carry the load, as well as the gross rear axle weight. On my set up I'm close to the maximum weight ratings everywhere. But it works safely and is super convenient. Especially without a toad. You can back up and make full cut turns!!! Have a few trips in, FL to ma no prob!!! Now, the one challenge is to keep the bike clean back there. It will get some road grime. But do not put a cover on your bike.
Ken k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Although I haven't yet gotten around to thoroughly researching the HydraLift yet, I was under the impression that it is welded into the chassis frame rails somehow. That, I guess, means it may not be strictly tied to the hitch tongue weight (?).

The Hydralift can be welded or bolted to the frame.

How the brackets are attached is up to the installer. There are no specific mounting instructions per Coach model.

In my case, the lift brackets are bolted using the same four (each side) bolt holes that the hitch uses. The entire mounting bracket is only around 24" long on each side.

Here's a couple of photos showing the brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyrdalift mounts 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	314323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyrdalift mounts 4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	314324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver Hitch mounting_pic4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	314325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver carrying V-Star.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	314327  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the info Ken.

I think your GW is maybe 10% heavier than my K1600. So that is good to know. We're considering going fulltime for a few years, so I may still want the extra capacity of a tag. Also, we'll likely be wanting to pull a jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken k View Post
But do not put a cover on your bike.
What problems are there with using a cover?
Old 01-15-2021, 03:14 AM   #11

Bike cover

Even with the bike tucked in behind the coach and a factory cover tied down, it flaps too much in the wind and scuffed up the paint in areas, especially any sharp edges. I haven't come up with a better solution than leaving it exposed. Hydra lift does offer a "garage" but it too complicated.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken k View Post
Even with the bike tucked in behind the coach and a factory cover tied down, it flaps too much in the wind and scuffed up the paint in areas, especially any sharp edges. I haven't come up with a better solution than leaving it exposed. Hydra lift does offer a "garage" but it too complicated.

https://www.skn-it.com/collections/e...-with-tour-pak

Here you go.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:06 AM   #13

Travel cocoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu227 View Post
Do you use this with Hydra lift? Any issues? Looks like a great solution!