Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
rv full timing

by golly, i'm on here a lot for help, but i'm about ready to sign on the dotted line for a '04 u320 4220 that has 118,000 miles and 2132 hrs on the genset. the coach is immaculate outside and in, but i didn't know until today it had been full timers which is perfectly ok. my concern is how the motorhome items will hold up and last. you can't get extended warranty over l00,000, so i guess i'm a little scared. oh i would bet all the crooks and problems have been worked out and fixed and in many ways i think it would be good that everything as been used frequently and not just sit there. i enjoy reading this forum and hope you guys will reply good/bad. thanks.

boyce and lisa
2004 u320 4220
06 jeep wrangler
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! As you know buying a well used coach can be a double edged sword and I think there are strong opinions on both edges about the pros and cons of buying a unit which has been full timed in.

We full time and I know that I am all over anything and everything that begins to hiccup on the rig. When I compare the maintenance my coach gets now with what it would get if I only took it out a few weekends a year with the family I don't think there's any comparison.

Having said that, "full time" is a widely used term and can mean different things to the maintenance and care a coach receives. I'm retired and love to tinker so it's fun to stay on top of things. On the other hand, many "full timers" are still working and have all the same stresses and demands on their time as those who live in stick houses and might not have the time nor inclination to spend hours working on their rigs. Take a close look at it, review the maintenance records and use your best judgement.

Good Luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
fulltime rving

hi ricko, thanks so much for the speedy reply. i guess as in anything, folks take care of things and some don't. i think this coach had been taken care of since the interior is so clean and not worn looking. i guess i was a little paranoid about the fridge, washer/dryer, and under items like aqua hot, etc. but that's my problem. anyway, you've made me feel better about the purchase. thanks,

boyce and lisa
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Pawpawboyce,

All those things can easily be replaced or repaired. Most manufacturers all use the same appliances, the drivetrain is common amoung many others, there's very little you won't be able to find help or replacement parts for, should you need them.

As long as you're not spending your last dime on this purchase (something will undoubtedly pop up needing repair or replacement), and have been dilagent about your pre-purchase inspections (have the drivetrain looked over by a qualified shop or mechanic), you're no worse, or better off than most of us were when it came time to make a decision.

Good luck!
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
thanks jay, i guess i needed a rooting for on the decision. have a great day.

boyce and lisa
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

Hi,
A lot depends on your situation. Did you sell a house to move into it? Did it take a lot of your reserves? Did you get a REAL deal because the market is really dead and is not going to recover anytime soon? Most prices are just like house prices, wishing prices only worse for used RVs. One of the biggest questions is, are you handy? Owning an RV will cost you more than you expect with the constant motion, weather taking a toll on everything. How is is underneath? Been driven in salty roads, rust on bulkheads, etc?
Figure you are going to get somewhere around 7 mpg average plus approx. $600/year insurance.

Like all of us, you probably are not getting any younger and now may be the time. Just make sure all the ducks are in a row.

We have a great time in ours but got it cheap, cheap, cheap in great shape. It has been fun, fun, fun but I do all the PM. Lot of great people to meet out there on the road (and on the forums) so hope I have not been a bummer. A Foretravel can be a great rig.

Best,

Pierce & Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36
horridtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I'm not sure what your definition of "FullTime" is but this unit was driven like is was stolen. The previous owners put over 1,500 miles a month on the coach, lots of driving and not much living.

I LOVE Foretravel's, but his unit was WELL used, just make sure you have the maintenance records.

Enjoy!

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote