She's alive and moved into storage!
I knew the motorhome did not run before purchasing but I thought, "no big deal, I'll get it towed”. So, I called a few transport companies to receive quotes to move the RV about 30 miles to a storage yard. All the quotes were about $500 - 700 dollars, which was very doable. Then, no one returned my calls after they realized it was a class A diesel pusher. The price went from $600.00 to 450 an hour, way outside of my working budget. I spoke with the owner and to my surprise, he gave me two months to have the RV towed or driven off his property.
The motorhome has been sitting for years and it has extensive water damage, major soft spots in the floor, a couple of delamination spots, rot around the shower vents, it didn't run, no chassis power, the list goes on-and-on and I haven’t even mentioned the electrical issues.
Well, I packed all my tools and spent the day working on the chassis. Number one, get the engine running first. I have never worked on a diesel engine, but I watched YouTube for several days and figured it would be that hard. I disconnected the fuel lines, changed the fuel filter, and then ran lines to an external tank in the floor broad. All the videos on-line started and ran a Cummins the same way. Next, I changed the oil and filter for good measures. I had to purchase two batteries for the chassis, but after they were installed, I didn’t have chassis power. Lucky, I called Spartan a few days before and they emailed the wiring schematic, which was a life saver.
When I crawled under the motorhome, I found the “J Block” broken not allowing the positive current to flow to all the main components. My only option was to disconnect all the wires and bolt them together. I still didn’t have chassis power but the positive cable tested good with my DVOM, so I inspected the ground circuit next and found no connectivity from the negative post to chassis ground; I disconnected the ground strap, cleaned the corrosion, and the circuit came alive! I had chassis power but no power at the ignition switch. In the diagram, everything seems to flow through one “Master Relay”, so once again, I bolted all the wires together to achieve a “quick fix” and I was able to start the engine using the key. With the new fuel, the engine started up and I had power to the transmission! The air suspension started to raise, and it was looking more and more like a motorhome!!
I placed the RV in drive to get it out of the ruts and she moved with ease, but I pressed the brake pedal and it wouldn’t stop…Oh crap…I pressed the neutral button and pulled the air brake and fast as I could. Moving forward, the RV was parked parallel with a house; so, I had to maneuver the RV through this guy’s back yard without hitting his house, around a tree, thorough his front yard, and into his driveway all using neutral and the air parking brake.