Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

2005 BT Cruiser slide out problems

I have a 24 ft BT Cruiser, 2005. It is the version (5230 I think) with 2 jackknife sofas (rather than dinette).

I just discovered the slide out has been leaking badly probably the whole time I've had it (2 years). The slide underbelly waterproofing plastic sheet does not allow the water to escape - so the plywood used in the subfloor has been damaged.

My slide out has a single rail, electric rack and pinyon gear mechanism, of the "above floor sofa slide out" type.

My slide out floor is made of a 1 in thick metal frame sandwiched between two slabs of 1/4 in plywood. The long edges of the floor are 1 in thick solid metal (not sure how wide yet), joined by 5 ~4 in wide x 1 in thick x 30 in long solid metal slats. Between the metal slats is blocks of 1 in styrofoam insulation. On the bottom is plastic underbelly sheet material. The mechanism rail rests on the central metal slat.

The metal frame is very sturdy and there's no evidence of rust.

The 1/4 in plywood on the top is only damaged at the edges, but the 1/4 in plywood on the bottom is totally destroyed by rot.

So far I have removed the underbelly plastic sheet and the rotten plywood on the bottom.

Things I need help with:

1) I wonder if this metal floor is the way all slide out floors are made? I am a bit confused because in my research I got the impression that people are replacing their rotted subfloors with marine plywood, and no one mentions metal framing in the floor.

To me, the 1/4 inch plywood doesn't seem to be doing anything except holding in the insulation, and providing a solid surface to apply flooring to.

2) I wonder if anyone else has realized that the moisture barrier plastic underbelly is kind of a bad idea, and if they have tried other materials? I saw that one guy used marine plywood and marine spar varnish rather than moisture barrier. Since the bottom of the slideout isn't actually ever subjected to road dirt etc. like the actually underbelly is (given that the slide out is always retracted when you travel) I wonder if it wouldn't be better just to put some actual insulation across the bottom rather than plywood and moisture seal.

3) Mostly, I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and what you did about it.

I haven't decided if I will take the slide room out - just to see if anything bad is happening under there. One of the gliders pulled out of the floor so I know there must be some damage to the coach floor too.

Thanks to anyone who has read this and has any ideas for me. Here is a (very bouncy and probably not very helpful)
llewkcalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
ems, problem, problems, slide, slide out