Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

2012 Visa 17rwd

Our Gulf Stream TT was a total COVID purchase in the early summer of 2020. The prospect of our summer camping plans being ruined was not acceptable so we started the hunt and found our VISA within a month. Only had to travel 200 miles to get it. Our hunt was based entirely on the size and specs of the TT and it was purely happenstance we got a Gulf Stream. But so far I'm satisfied with the brand.

One thing we noticed over the summer is how few Gulf Stream RV's we see around MN and especially how few VISA's we dug up on our hunt and research after purchase. Are there any other VISA owners out there? There were a few floorplans available for 2012. Like I said, we're happy with the camper so far but we've only had it for one season. I'm curious what other folks think of their VISA's and what mods they've made.

I assure you the TV was within its capacity to tow the TT, even though it looks too small. It's a Limited Rav4 V6. The thing is a total sleeper. It's got 270 HP and they put the same motor in a couple of different sports cars too. While it did check out on all the pertinent numbers for towing, it just wasn't a big enough vehicle when conditions were anything but ideal. That reality hit when we needed to extend a stay an extra day because of a 20+ mph wind. We've since upgraded to a v8 4runner. The funny thing is that it only has about 5 HP more than the Rav4 but the towing capacity, torque, GVWR, and hitch all make it a much more appropriate TV, and it leaves us plenty of wiggle room to upgrade TT in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200619_152628.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	320244  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: TRAILER TOW SAFETY

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsNboards View Post
Our Gulf Stream TT was a total COVID purchase in the early summer of 2020. The prospect of our summer camping plans being ruined was not acceptable so we started the hunt and found our VISA within a month. Only had to travel 200 miles to get it. Our hunt was based entirely on the size and specs of the TT and it was purely happenstance we got a Gulf Stream. But so far I'm satisfied with the brand.

One thing we noticed over the summer is how few Gulf Stream RV's we see around MN and especially how few VISA's we dug up on our hunt and research after purchase. Are there any other VISA owners out there? There were a few floorplans available for 2012. Like I said, we're happy with the camper so far but we've only had it for one season. I'm curious what other folks think of their VISA's and what mods they've made.

I assure you the TV was within its capacity to tow the TT, even though it looks too small. It's a Limited Rav4 V6. The thing is a total sleeper. It's got 270 HP and they put the same motor in a couple of different sports cars too. While it did check out on all the pertinent numbers for towing, it just wasn't a big enough vehicle when conditions were anything but ideal. That reality hit when we needed to extend a stay an extra day because of a 20+ mph wind. We've since upgraded to a v8 4runner. The funny thing is that it only has about 5 HP more than the Rav4 but the towing capacity, torque, GVWR, and hitch all make it a much more appropriate TV, and it leaves us plenty of wiggle room to upgrade TT in the future.
CRITICAL TO MANY, Fatal to some, is TONGUE WEIGHT; too much overloads TV or HITCH, but too LITTLE causes JACK-KNIFE/ LOSS OF CONTROL/ WRECK, and lightweight trailers are NEVER a TOW Match or STATIONARY MATCH for HIGH WINDS. p.s. 18-wheelers often NEED to get OFF the road and PARK FACING THE WIND. This HELPS Explain the tongue weight/ loading ISSUE:
Old 04-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsNboards View Post

We have a 2011, that we love, after working out all the bugs and changing some things.
Have been using it 6 years now.
As for towing, the weight of the tow vehicle is much more important than the horsepower. Also a good hitch with sway control and weight distribution is a big factor. Weve used a dodge diesel & now a GMC Sierra 1500. Equal-I-zer hitch system. Ive always believed in having twice the rated tow capacity of the vehicle for the trailer.
The GMC gets better gas mileage than my Tacoma. 🙄

Be glad to answer any inquiries you might have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30BCFFC2-0FC9-48CC-831A-99AFEFC4EDC9.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	326795  
Brayhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #4

Your setup looks good.

What sort of bugs did you work out? I've not come across any yet. Any work I have planned is just to add convenience, not to repair or re-engineer anything. One of my next jobs is to replace the kitchen faucet with something a little more sturdy. I thought about doing the same in the shower but decided it wasn't necessary. For us, the shower is a 'wham bam thank you ma'am' sort of deal and it doesn't necessitate anything fancy.

Your advice on towing is appreciated. I still have to get the WDH switched over from the RAV4 and dialed in on the 4runner but I'm looking forward to pulling with the V8 this summer.