Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Batteries again

Recently I had posted about a problem after replacing the 6 volt house batteries which were wired incorrectly after replacement but was corrected. I stated at the time that after camping the first time after replacement I noticed that the batteries had not recharged. We were also plugged into shore power while camping. Since then I now see that when we plug into shore power with the batteries turned off I cannot get power to the lights in the RV. Anything that operated on ac only works fine but nothing that works on dc power. My question is: do I need a new converter or are fuses blown somewhere in the electrical system. My rig is a 2004 Gulfstream Conquest Limited Edition Class C.
cburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
My advice would be to get a professional rv tech to evaluate
your situation. There are a lot of components in the electrical
system. It will give you a good learning experience.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for whether the converter or fuse or... It's a matter if troubleshooting. Good voltage at the batteries? Is the converter charging the batteries? If yes, then these power sources are ok - so something is keeping the power from getting to the lights, likely a fuse or wiring issue. If no, then troubleshoot a fix the power source issue.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wiring up house batteries incorrectly can cause major problems with downstream devices.

You need to seek out a professional RV service tech to evaluate exactly what the situation is and what the recommend corrective action would be.

Back in 2015 I met a person in an Anchorage RV repair facility called Karen's RV who, while replacing his house batteries, had wired them incorrectly. He was there having his Inverter replaced which Karen's RV was doing under an extended warranty contract but the owner also mentioned that the generator would not start/work either.

Karen's RV was not authorized by the warranty company to troubleshoot the generator so he had to take it someplace else to have that looked at and repaired.

It pays to take a couple of mobile phone photos PLUS make a hand sketch drawing of the wiring BEFORE removing ANY wires.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First off you will want to check the converter charger fuses. . Make certain that you have 120 volts AC at the receptacle the converter charger is plugged into or if it is built into the distribution panel that all circuit breakers are turned on. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

could someone please explain the OEM charging system on a 2005 Gulfstrem Sunvoyager? a diagram would help.

thanks
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburn View Post
Recently I had posted about a problem after replacing the 6 volt house batteries which were wired incorrectly after replacement but was corrected. I stated at the time that after camping the first time after replacement I noticed that the batteries had not recharged. We were also plugged into shore power while camping. Since then I now see that when we plug into shore power with the batteries turned off I cannot get power to the lights in the RV. Anything that operated on ac only works fine but nothing that works on dc power. My question is: do I need a new converter or are fuses blown somewhere in the electrical system. My rig is a 2004 Gulfstream Conquest Limited Edition Class C.
In a way you answered your own question.If you turn your batterys off
as you claim in the post how do u expect the lights to work ?
your fridge wont work either.Turn the batterys ON
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
In a way you answered your own question.If you turn your batterys off
as you claim in the post how do u expect the lights to work ?
your fridge wont work either.Turn the batterys ON
With the batteries OFF, the converter, a regulated power supply, does its job of converting 120 volts to 12 volts to run the 12 volt powered items.

If you turn the batteries ON, it will also charge them, with what ever amperage is left over, after running the items.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggem View Post
could someone please explain the OEM charging system on a 2005 Gulfstrem Sunvoyager? a diagram would help.

thanks
Lots of good videos available.

Here are 2 samples:

https://youtu.be/eA7O7y5e2r4

https://youtu.be/FboDyLjn5sg
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With the batteries OFF, the converter, a regulated power supply, does its job of converting 120 volts to 12 volts to run the 12 volt powered items.

If you turn the batteries ON, it will also charge them, with what ever amperage is left over, after running the items.
Depends on how the unit is wired. Our old C had the converter wired to the battery side of the cutoff relay. Plugging in charged the batteries but the house was off if the relay was open. Our new C has the convertver wired to the 12 V bus so it will power the 12 V system but not charge the batteries if the relay is open. It's a pita as I have to be sure which way the relay is set when unplugged or measure the battery voltage to make sure it is charging. One of those little pieces of trivia one needs to understand about a particular unit. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

To the OP - get the converter working and 12 VDC at the output then worry about the rest. That could be the converter but is more likely a fuse or breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggem View Post

thanks
Not specifically but generically. Almost all units have a converter or a combination Inverter/converter that supplies 12 VDC to the system distribution panel when on shore or generator power. There is also a 12 VDC battery or battery bank that is connected to the panel. The battery charges off the panel when the converter is on or supplies power to the panel when the converter is off. There will also be a large can type relay connected to the battery to serve as a disconnect when in storage mode.

FWIW If I had the unit I would start poking around to see what I had. YMMV. If you have a problem post that and you will get some advice.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries