RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

Buying a 1995 Gulf Stream Yellowstone Capri 27' MH for $2000!

Buying a used 1995 Gulf Stream Yellowstone Capri 27' MH for $2000!
Hello again. Been about 6 years since getting back into an RV.
A food is selling his 1995 Gulf Stream Yellowstone Capri 27' MH. It has a 460 V8 with 70K miles on it. It might be the high raise model? He told me the ceiling height is about a foot higher than him and he's 5'9" tall. Can you tell by the picture? He's going to drive it down from where he has it stored, it's got current tags and he has agreed to get it smogged (CA) I think it's a great price as he knows where coming back with just luggage so we'll be living in it for a while at an RV park until we get our feet back on the ground.

It was used last year for a camping trip. Friend said it has an exhaust leak when cold ... most likely a broken off bolt or hairline crack in the manifold. AC control panel is broken.... any replacements available? Water pump is weak but works ok of city water.
My son will be checking it out for us as we a moving back to our home state the end of this month... anything to look out for before buying it?

Thanks guys!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200311115230.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	277661  

1995 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri. Wide body, chassis: 1994 E350, 460CID, Fed emissions, 4 speed w/od trans, 4:10 gears. 71K miles.
kctrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #2

Water stains on the ceiling and on the walls near windows. Roof on a rig that old is often a problem.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Water stains on the ceiling and on the walls near windows. Roof on a rig that old is often a problem.
I'm thinking I should watch some youtube videos on this... thanks!
1995 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri. Wide body, chassis: 1994 E350, 460CID, Fed emissions, 4 speed w/od trans, 4:10 gears. 71K miles.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #4

Update

Update: Ended up buy it. Owner had it smogged with no issues.

It's actually a 29' Wide body model. W6293ZH

Hopefully not a big prob6... the interior ac/heater control panel is missing on the wall... just a bunch of wires. Works if you touch the right wires. Is there a universal 12v replacement for this control panel available? Also is there a wiring diagram available? Any6been there replaced this?

I also have have a dripping faucet and the cold water valve leaks at the top knob. Tighten the big nut made no difference. Are replacement valve or kits available?

Lastly, what's the best online store to find parts/NOS parts for something like this?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200324_084902.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	279042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_083756.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	279043  

Name:	20200324_230158.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	279044  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #5

Update: Ended up buy it. Owner had it smogged with no issues.

Its actually a 29' Wide body model. W6293ZH

It interior ac/heater control panel is missing on the wall... just a bunch of tires. Works if you touch the right wires. Is there a universal 12v replacement for this control panel available? I added the data sheets, looks like it's a Coleman system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200324-230939_Army Knife for Android.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	279045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200324-080226_Army Knife for Android.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	279046  

Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

What about this one, or should I get a digital one with a timer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200325-100618_Chrome.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	279080  
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

I cannot say specifically as I have no experience with the equipment you have.
Heat: Of course a Gulfstream owners manual would be nice although owners manuals are often useless. Google make and model.

Many class "C's" are simple affairs. With so many wires, you probably have AC and heat on the same control unit. I don't know if there is automatic switching from AC to heat. My home system does not. Google make and model of furnace and AC units.

Faucets: Exact replacements always trip my trigger, but so far my RV faucets have been disappointing so I would look for a high quality replacements anywhere faucets are sold. The distance between mounting fitting underneath are often important for easy replacement. Also pipe fittings.
That said, you can probably get valve assemblies at plumbing and hardware stores or google them.

Amazon and etrailer.com are usually my first go-to's. Certainly look for a Gulfstream site.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #8

One thing to keep in mind is that many of Class A RV faucets have a seal kit that is higher than normal spring tension. This is why when you check the parts list P/N, it isn't listed as a standard manufacturers part. The higher spring tension for the seals allows a wide range of water pressures that the home faucet doesn't often encounter. I've been in parks with an average of 55 psi and the faucet drip-drip-drips. With the original high pressure seal kit, no drips. I've even found some RV parks with 125 psi!

You can get yourself a whole house pressure reducer, but when you're traveling, they're a chore to connect with the various difficult water faucets I've found. In fact I forgot mine up in Pahrump, been without now for 3 months, they're holding it for me for when I return. Lucky the parks I've stayed at since have all been in the 45 psi range. I think I should permanently mount it in the water bay, if I can find the ambition.

I do not know if this is true with Class C rigs but probably. So when you're fixing your water leak and replacing faucets, maybe purchase the kits (I know $$$) from a RV dealer, rather than Home Depot. AND get a pressure reducer. Note those plastic ones crack pretty easily so get two. That way you'll never crack the first one.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #9

A lot of RV stores will carry replacement cores for the faucet. I just picked up a nice looking single handle faucet at Home Depot that was on sale for $29.

You'll know if the missing furnace thermostat was a heating/cooling type by looking at your air conditioner cover inside. If it has a fan speed knob and a temp knob, the thermostat will be a simple heat only stat. Having one with a timer is a personal choice. I installed one in the main living area, and kept the old manual one in the bedroom and haven't used the timer yet.

Should be easy to tell where your exhaust leak is because you see "black soot"where the exhaust gas is leaking from. Most of the cracks and bolt failures are near the rear of the manifold because this area gets the poorest cooling. For about the same price of replacing the manifolds you can get headers that won't crack.

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, gulf stream, yellowstone