Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Gulf Stream Yellowstone 34SLR 2001 Class C

Hi All! Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with with a 2001 Gulfstream Yellowstone 34SLR? I'm planning on looking at one tomorrow that has 54,000 miles. I've read on the forum the quality of GS has a bit to be desired after the mid 2000 and wondering what issues anyone might be aware of in this particular model. The seller is willing to throw in a 2000 Saturn toad w/ Blue Ox bar for $500. His asking price is well below the $20k-$25k I have set aside for my RV purchase. Gulfstream wasn't on my radar of coach builders based on what I've read here on the forum, which prompted my questions.

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, warnings, or heads up I should look out for. This will be my first RV purchase and my intent is to full time RV while working nuclear outages around the county. The seller says it isn't considered a 4 season RV so I assume I need to upgrade the holding tanks with heat strips as well as the black discharge hose with a heat sleeve/conduit to prevent freezing when my travels take me to colder climates.

Thanks again!
GoGoDaddyO
GoDaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #2

We picked up a 2000, 30 ft Gulfstream Yellowstone Country Club, about 3 years ago.

It had 16,000 miles on it and 6 on the generator.

I disabled the converter and wired in a 3 stage smart converter.

I replaced all of the brake calipers due to the boots rotting off. I replaced the front rotors, due to pulsing in the brake pedal.

The original Microwave display went out and we installed a small one.

Fridge, heat, AC, water heater all original. Changed the thermostat to digital.

Fit and finish seems OK, nothing top of the line but holding up.

There was a leak in the cabover that ruined the bunk lumber and floor, causing it to sag a bit, over the windshield. Its on the list of repairs.

Changed the 7 year old tires since they fell apart with 8000 miles. Have Bridgstone LT tires now.

I replaced the rear anti sway bar and bushings for a heavy duty type. I also replaced the front bushings with poly type. It made a BIG difference in handling. I can drive it with two fingers, even when BIG rigs blow by me. Before that mod, it was tough to handle.

It now has near 40,000 miles and 400 hours on the generator since we picked it up 2 1/2 years ago.

The V10 engine and 4 speed transmission are solid. It's just loud climbing steep Interstate hills.

For what we paid, we are happy with it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks TwinBoat, I appreciate your input. Seller has told me roof was replaced 2 yrs ago by insurance due to hail damage and also eliminated the front window at the cab over & upgrade to an entertainment center inside. New brakes, rotors & bushings up front & new brakes in back, new fridge, new convection oven as well. Just not sure about the lack of an "arctic package" as a deal breaker for me..
GoDaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

My MH does have heat ducted to the wet compartment. I don't know how effective it is. By that time it's usually pointed south.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c