RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #1

Loud A/C

I just purchased and just completed my first trip with my 2020 VC. The AC is terribly loud. Is this normal?
SaraOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

That's hard to say because noise is very subjective, and without hearing your AC it would be difficult to make that determination.

But in general most folks do consider their RV air conditioner rather loud. And that's partially because they ARE kind of loud, and partially because you're often sitting very close to it.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
As theboondork suggests, there is loud and then there is loud. You shouldn't hear squealing or mechanical noises like a fan rubbing on something, but "normal" for most RV air conditioners is noisy. Most of the noise comes from the air flow and there are a few things you can do that might help.

• First, if your air conditioner is ducted, most have a grill on the A/C to select between forcing air into the duct work or "dumping" it right out of the A/C. It tends to cool faster with this set to dump the air directly from the A/C, but it tends to be louder in this configuration.
  • Second, many have two fan speeds. Depending on your thermostat, you may be able to select the low fan speed which will make it significantly quieter, although not as effective.
  • Third, many are poorly installed. There are several YouTube videos about sealing nooks and crannies above the cover where the A/C meets the duct work with metallic duct tape. Anywhere the air meets resistance will create unnecessary noise.
  • If you have ducted A/C, many people have reported positive things about the Wacko RV silencer. This costs about $200 and I remain unconvinced. Others have reported good results though.
  • If you have two air conditioners, especially if both are ducted, some have had success running the A/C at the opposite end of the coach from where they are. For instance, run the bedroom A/C while in the living room and swap at bed time. Won't work if its super hot and both air conditioners are needed to try to keep up.
If it sounds "abnormal" clanging, squealing, excessive hum, etc... I would have it looked at. If its just "air noise", that's an unfortunate side affect of putting the supply and return of 1-1.5 tons of A/C through a 17" square.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A small fan forcing air through small ducts equal noise. Yse the RV A/C units are much nosier than the home units.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove ceiling grill and tighten the four mounting bolts in the corners, OFTEN cures AC noise complaints.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sold on the Wacko Silencer. It has a ridiculous price, but it really worked for us. I downloaded a decibel app for my phone, and the dB dropped by 4, which made it much more liveable. We winter in Palm Springs, so the AC gets used year round.

X2 about sealing up and smoothing the ductwork with silver metal tape. That helped as well.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Remove ceiling grill and tighten the four mounting bolts in the corners, OFTEN cures AC noise complaints.
Do not over tighten the bolts. The gasket should not be compressed more than 1/2 of its original thickness. Most newer units have a pointer as a reference for compression.

This won't cure air noise.

Ken
Old 07-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did say (Often) not (Always), and comment based on (many posts by others), NOT my personal experience, but (can also guess) that removing ceiling grill/ inspecting (may) uncover (other) issues, such as baffles out of place, coil ice, (freezestat out of place?) loose parts flapping/ air blockage, etc... so (often) any attempt is (better than) no attempt? :-) :-)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the tips!
SaraOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I'll just put my 2 cents into this my AC is noisy when running, but I didn't run it for a couple and then when I did it was really loud. My issue was if you live in a warm climate in the South like me watch out for those damn mud wasps as they built a nest right in the indention of my fan blade off of the motor and it had it so out of balance it sounder like the AC unit was going to take off LOL I had to take my cover off of my AC unit on the roof and removed the mud nest and then put it back together and it sounded a 100% better
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote