Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm retired and not in a hurry.

If I travel 300 miles at 60 mph (if I could average that speed to 60) it would take me 5 hours.

If I travel at 55 mph for 300 miles it takes me 5 hours, and 27 minutes (approx).

However, at 60mph I get between 8.9 and 9.3 mpg, and at 55 mph I get between 10.1 and 11 mpg (with no winds). Someone do some math and tell me how much I save by driving slower and enjoying the ride?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm retired and not in a hurry.

If I travel 300 miles at 60 mph (if I could average that speed to 60) it would take me 5 hours.

If I travel at 55 mph for 300 miles it takes me 5 hours, and 27 minutes (approx).

However, at 60mph I get between 8.9 and 9.3 mpg, and at 55 mph I get between 10.1 and 11 mpg (with no winds). Someone do some math and tell me how much I save by driving slower and enjoying the ride?
Somewhere between $10 and $25. High side being one night at a state campground. using national diesel avg of 3.93
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #31

Remember that this is a truck! No matter how it drives, looks or is licensed it is still over 10,000 lbs going down the road. Treat it as such and drive the truck speed limits and you will be a lot safer than the clowns doing 70-80 down the road. Your stopping distances have increased dramatically, and you have a much higher center of gravity. Two additional pieces of advice and I'll get off my soap box. 1. you said this is a 97 Check the date code on the tires. If they are more than 7 years old at least have them broken down and checked on the inside or better if you can afford it replace them. Old tires will fail at the worst times. 2. go to a truck stop and weigh your coach with it loaded for a trip. Make sure you aren't exceeding your GVW. Somewhere in your coach there is a sticker that tells you what the actuall load capacity of your unit is. I have seen more damage done by putting an overloaded rv on the road than I care to. I am a full time Fire Fighter and most of the rv accidents MH or trailer are caused by 1 speed 2 poor tires, 3 overload and 4 alcohol.
Be safe and enjoy your coach. Gulfstream makes a good one
Don Sanford
donaldgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Cash savings!!!!!!!

In the example you created you would use 32.6 gallons of fuel vs. 28.3 Gallons. 5.3 gallons @ $3.93 turns into almost $21 per day. ( $20.83) That is a huge hunk of change!!!!!

Be safe on the road!
I also couldn't agree more about the advice of knowing the weight of your rig. I've met too many people who response was..." The salesman said I have plenty of cushion. Salesman will say anything!!!! When I was buying two years ago I questioned a salesman about the CCC of a Class B he was showing me. It was less than 1,000 pounds from the max and this was before packing it for camping. ( It did allow for 4 adults, all the fluids etc. ) When I asked him about the effect of towing a car his comment was, " Only those numbers are only guidelines!" Yeah I found the DW quick and we left.

Dan
Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #33

Driving Speed Tie-Up

Thanks for all your advice and experience!
After addition of the Steer-Safe and proper tire pressures, 65 mph on the interstate is a relaxing drive (even with a 40 mph cross wind between Winslow and Flagstaff). The MH with a relatively small but good torque 5.4 L engine seems stuck on 10.5 mpg - uphill, downhill, loaded or light. Pulled 6% grade, 7,000 ft. without "pushing" the engine at 60 mph. Of course it's just a 21 footer but seems a great combination on weight to horsepower ratio.
On a side note, loved our short cruise through Jerome AZ. Not recommended for a longer MH, but quite fun in our little RB (Rattle - Bang, still working on that!).
Thinking about a small road bike as a tow behind, seems like it might be a great way to get around the CG's and not put a strain on our elderly MH. Any experiences with pulling bikes to get around??
Last note, as a novice RV'er, found the rear view camera to be the best investment we've made. Had a biker following close and never would have seen him much less give him a pass opportunity when we had a chance. Found the bikers to be much more appreciative on pass allow then anyone else. Then again being an old rider I may be more receptive to insuring the joy of the ride.

Great web site, great people, Many Thanks!

Greg, Karen and the woofs (Clem and Atticus, Golden and goofy choc. Lab).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerome RB.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	10009  
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote