Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
JRL

Panel Covering ??

All of the paneling/woodwork inside my 2001 Scenic Cruiser appears to be covered by a very thin white plastic like material. On the overhead cabinets behind the windshield, some of the covering has pulled/buckled away from the wood. Think it was caused from a water leak I haven't been able to locate and stop yet. I have no idea how it was originally attached to the wood. Glue, heat shrink or ?? Can press the covering back onto the wood but covering appears to have expanded a bit and will not fit smoothly. Looking for any thoughts or recommendations.

Many Thanks,
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It has been some years back but I found the Coated White Paneling from Custom Coach (in Baltimore) and replaced. My dilemma was from a water leak. YOu could also get some Luan and Paint it white. Another Thought if Paneling is good, remove coating and Paint.

Here is a Web site of another vendor.....
4' x 8' Wall Paneling - RV Paneling
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
JRL

CC8375
Thanks for the reply. I had not thought about painting, old age I guess. The wood under the plastic covering looks to be in good shape so I will give it a try.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
We had same problem I use loctite high performance spray adhesive still holding good after a year.
Good lock
freetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

paneling

I had the same problem once the wood gets wet the covering comes off. Mine was on the lower section in the back bedroom. The fix was to remove all the wet paneling about 2' up from the floor and install wainscoting paneling that the home depot sells looks good now. It was glued with liquid nails and nailed with a air gun.
jjtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
JRL

jjtjr,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into the wainscoting paneling. I did call GS customer svc and they had no recommendations at all. Why was I not surprised? The MH has not been used for awhile so the repair has slipped somewhat on the "to do " list.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #7

leaks

The first thing that you have to do is to fix the roof leak first or the new walls will get wet again. Some areas to check on a GS which I also have is around all the vents and sky lite, remove the old caulk and put the self leveling caulk at the RV store. I used a tube per vent. The next area is the front and back aluminum bands that go up both side and across the roof. The top is easy to clean and caulk but the sides are not. So this is what I did. Near the top where the rubber roof stops and meets the fiberglass side I cut it. This enabled me to drill all the pop rivets and remove it. The problem was the caulk was old and water was getting into the seam. The sides of the RV and aluminum strip were cleaned of the old caulk new marine type caulk was used and it was re-riveted. It didn't take to long about 4 hrs. Now no more leaks then you can fix the inside.

Take a look on the basement door problem thread. I bet you also have bad wood as I do.
I also called GS They were no help and said your on your own.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
JRL

Many thanks for the good tips. Read the basement door thread. Very informative and great pictures. My problem, one of many however :-), is that I am not as good a mechanic as you are. (Wish I was.) As for removing the door panels, I had a damaged one replaced ago long and as I remember, they had to slide the doors along the length of the MH to get them out of the channel holding them.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

motor home

The unfortunate thing about owning a MH is you have to try to do everything yourself. because the repair shop do a quick and dirty job just to get it out of the shop. If they built cars the same poor way as MH they would be out of business.

Tags
panel