RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Reno Floor soft and slide seal leaking : Newbie to class A

acquired my FIL 2002 Gulfstream sun voyager. Started demo by removing carpet, couch, dinette and window treatments. Painted walls and all cabinets. Installing glue down engineered wood floors. Found a small soft spot in sub floor in bedroom, where slide seal is bad. Any suggestions on the structure underneath? I need to cut out bad wood and need to screw it to frame and one frame runs underneath a cabinet that also has rot.
firecapt176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt176 View Post
acquired my FIL 2002 Gulfstream sun voyager. Started demo by removing carpet, couch, dinette and window treatments. Painted walls and all cabinets. Installing glue down engineered wood floors. Found a small soft spot in sub floor in bedroom, where slide seal is bad. Any suggestions on the structure underneath? I need to cut out bad wood and need to screw it to frame and one frame runs underneath a cabinet that also has rot.
How’s this project coming? I was thinking do your exploratory surgery from underneath if you can to find the frame members without going any farther than necessary inside, but you are probably past that by now. Pics?
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
How’s this project coming? I was thinking do your exploratory surgery from underneath if you can to find the frame members without going any farther than necessary inside, but you are probably past that by now. Pics?
It took a while but I managed to get rotten wood replaced with treated plywood. From underneath, I can see the frame supports and took measurements, used saw to cut slightly less than thickness of plywood and snapped old wood out, cut to fit and hardest part was under cabinet. Under cabinet, I removed bottom shelf, exposing rot and removed screws holding cabinet to floor and dug out rot, then tapped in new piece between frame and bottom of cabinet. All is good now, just finished flooring last night.
firecapt176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 2,985
Did you find out where the moisture was coming from that caused the rot?
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:10 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Did you find out where the moisture was coming from that caused the rot?
Yes, it was the slide seal. My FIL didn't like paying people to do work and he replaced seals but didn't install correctly and it allowed water to enter above seal in the upper corners. My next project is new seals, installed correctly.
firecapt176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt176 View Post
Yes, it was the slide seal. My FIL didn't like paying people to do work and he replaced seals but didn't install correctly and it allowed water to enter above seal in the upper corners. My next project is new seals, installed correctly.
Progress!
__________________
2016 Ventana 3427
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, class a, newbie, slide, seal, floor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class A, Class B, Class C?? dottedlines MH-General Discussions & Problems 30 12-26-2019 08:45 AM
Newbie seeking advice: short Class A or Class C? Cebuano54 MH-General Discussions & Problems 24 10-23-2016 09:04 PM
Video: Overview Class A vs Class B vs Class C pros and cons for new RVers themoreweexplore New Member Check-In 8 08-03-2015 05:14 PM
Newbie: Handling Class A vs Class C P-n-P AZ RV iRV2.com General Discussion 23 11-14-2013 07:46 AM
Newbie to forum, newbie to rv'ing, and I have a newbie problem last_lemming Class B Motorhome Discussions 36 09-06-2012 07:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.