Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Thank you for all the info , tips and suggestions.

To clear up the possible confusion, yes the 30 amp plug was wired to 220 not 110 volts, then an adaptor was used to connect to the coach 50 amp service.

The only thing not powering up is the micro-wave. the fridge, front tv, dish control all respond to their power switches. In Canada I can not just buy a RV plug in " station" like there is available in the US. My next trip over the river I will be buying the proper 50 amp setup, even though the times when I would want to plug in the coach at home will be few, except to maybe get her ready for a trip.

And yes if all I lot was the micro wave fuse or control board , that will be very lucky indeed. That what happens when you try to work backwards from a 50 amp schematic. Seeing that it required 220 volts for the 50 amp side it seemed that the 30 amp side would also need to be 220 volts, I did not take into account how the adaptor works to get the proper power to the 50 amp cable. Even so it turned out the 30 amp plug was wired wrong, 20 amp not 30 amp breaker. THat has all been fixed now.

So the only nagging question is what actually was smoking? the only components under the rear bed are the 110 volt panel and the ATS switch.
I am wondering if it was a breaker , there were two that were in a trip position. Those I can buy here and will be replacing them all, just to be sure.
TollerDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #16

Spartan Chassis
Casualty

For sure I toasted the microwave control board.

I am searching online and do not see any parts for this model oven.
It is a DOmetic DOTRM13B

From looking at the board one possible part number is:
6871W2S008G, but a search on that came up empty.

Anyone know where I might find parts for this oven, or who actually makes the dometic line?

Attaching a photo of the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170114_122628.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	149051  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Both Lowes and Home Depot offer a 50 amp box with RV receptacle, some stores stock them or you can order and pick them up.

Sounds like you got lucky if you old fried your microwave. Good Luck
Be sure you get a 50 amp box with the breaker or a switch in it. You should not be plugging in to a hot receptacle. Most RV parks are that way and I always turn the breakers off before plugging in and off before unplugging. Even with the 30 amp I have beside the house I go to the main panel follow the same routine. Having the breakers at the box just makes it easier though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #18

Quote:
In Canada I can not just buy a RV plug in " station" like there is available in the US. My next trip over the river I will be buying the proper 50 amp setup, even though the times when I would want to plug in the coach at home will be few, except to maybe get her ready for a trip.
tons of 50amp outlets available everywhere in Canada to change your garage 30amp outlet to 50 amp. so your regular SP cord will plug in with no adapters
except your 50 amp convertion wont have a ground just two hots and a neutral
you should run a ground wire for safety sake or simply wire the 30 amp outlet for 120V use. iam not sure you know about what iam even talking about because if u did u would have never ever pluged your MH into that 30 amp welder outlet in your home
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any microwave that will fit in the space will work. Finding one with the same or as close as possible to the original dimensions is the hard part. If you want to keep the coach as original as possible eBay might be your best source for either a replacement board or replacing the oven. Suspect replacing the oven might be your best option. Plus save the old one for potential spare parts such as the high voltage power supply, the magnetron or touch panel.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I am still confused as to exactly what you did so here is my take on this situation.

It appears to me that you possibly attempted to use a 120 VAC 30-50 amp Dog-Bone adapter plugged into a 220 VAC outlet instead of making your own custom 220 VAC adapter.

By doing that you sent 220 VAC down one leg of your 120 VAC shore power cord thereby releasing tons of smoke in your coach and frying your microwave plus probably additional stuff.

Don't feel too bad as many others have released lots of smoke into their RV's, usually ones with 30 amp RV's, by plugging into one that looked similar but was 220 VAC and not 120 VAC.

I would strongly suggest that after you have repaired the coach wiring and devices back to original condition that you invest in a Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C unit that would have protected your coach from the errant power condition you attempted to use.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #21

Spartan Chassis
That is basically it, I energized the cord wrong.

Now I am having trouble locating matching Square D breakers. My local Home depot has similar breakers but they do not have the "J" hook on the one end. Any idea's if this is because of being the panel being an American model or an RV model?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #22

Rexhall Owners Group
The square d homeline breaker has the J hook and is similar to and should be interchangeable with siemens type . The square D QO type breaker has metal clips and is much more expensive. The panel probably says 'homeline' in the door. The breakers that were tripped are shot and whatever was plugged into those circuits may have fried electronics. I have seen surge protectors literally light on fire when 220 VAC was applied to them. You should carefully inspect as much of the wiring as you can to see if any areas have melted insulation in or near the outlets and breakers.
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #23

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollerDP View Post
Seeing that it required 220 volts for the 50 amp side it seemed that the 30 amp side would also need to be 220 volts, I did not take into account how the adaptor works to get the proper power to the 50 amp cable. Even so it turned out the 30 amp plug was wired wrong, 20 amp not 30 amp breaker. THat has all been fixed now.

So the only nagging question is what actually was smoking? the only components under the rear bed are the 110 volt panel and the ATS switch.
I am wondering if it was a breaker , there were two that were in a trip position. Those I can buy here and will be replacing them all, just to be sure.
I just reread this please make sure you did not replace the 20 amp breakers with 30 amp without making sure that the wire is 10 ga. and not 20 amp-12ga.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
After thinking about my post #20, I misstated that you inadvertently sent 240 VAC down ONE leg of your 50 amp shore power cord. Actually, you sent 240 VAC down BOTH legs of your shore power cord.

See diagram photo of a typical 30 amp to 50 amp RV Dog-Bone.

I would make sure to check out ALL of your wiring and devices throughout the RV, main panel, circuit breakers, wiring, junction boxes, outlets, etc, before declaring it "safe" to use.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30-50 Amp Dog-Bone.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	149138  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #25

Spartan Chassis
Thanks, for the information on the breakers. I will check at Lowes today while I am out and see if they have the matching type. Bit funny none of the breakers or the ATS switch smell burnt, like the microwave control board does, and the microwave is too far from the bedroom for the smoke to get there, and for sure the smoke was rising up from under the bed.
On a positive note I may of located a board, there is one online with just a different revision letter on the end of the number, waiting to hear back from the vendor, just maybe I won't have to pull the microwave out and replace the whole unit.

The Dometic microwave was made by LG, but uses the same boards as an Amana.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #26

Rexhall Owners Group
Is there some kind of plug in surge protector near the bed? Even if it is not being used, it will still smoke under 220.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Here is a picture of the area under the bed. The electrical panel on the left, the ATS in the middle and there is also some 12 volt fuses on the right.
Since the bed was down I could not see where the smoke was originating.

There is a small cavity on the floor to the left of the electrical panel that cabling runs through, I still need to investigate where it goes to see if there was something just upline that got hit.

As far as I know there currently is no surge protector on the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170113_100543.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	149144  
Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
I don't see any load electronic components in there (resistors, MOVs, capacitors, etc.) that would smoke. If there were, you would certainly still smell them. Follow the individual romex wires from the breakers that were tripped through the coach to the source of any shorts that occurred during overvoltage condition. One of them will definitely lead to your microwave. The other ??

The breakers are rated to withstand much more than 220 VAC so I don't see that as a problem. Is there a charge converter that is wired to that 12 volt fuse panel?