Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Supernova headed for upgrades

Our SN is headed to the shop on Monday for EGR delete, HPOP fitting, possibly a BPD oil cooler, and some gauges. I plan on adding a tuner and a high flow muffler if I can find one. Has anyone has any experience with Diesel Spec Inc?

I do have a couple questions for anyone who has done the mods on their SN.

Does the delete cause a CEL?

What muffler is everyone upgrading to?

Is the MP8 worth the money or should I just save it for a tuner or custom tune?

I asked the shop about just diving in head first (so to speak ) and installing new heads with o-rings and new studs but he recommended running it with the above upgrades until it became an issue instead of dumping that 6K on something that isn't broke yet. I am just looking reliability #1 and for some more torque and hp to maintain speed on long climbs.

Anyone please send me any idea's or recommendations. Except to sell the SN!! I believe with a few tweeks it is the perfect RV and I've owned them ALL!!!
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhplumber View Post
Our SN is headed to the shop on Monday for EGR delete, HPOP fitting, possibly a BPD oil cooler, and some gauges. I plan on adding a tuner and a high flow muffler if I can find one. Has anyone has any experience with Diesel Spec Inc?

I do have a couple questions for anyone who has done the mods on their SN.

Does the delete cause a CEL?

What muffler is everyone upgrading to?

Is the MP8 worth the money or should I just save it for a tuner or custom tune?

I asked the shop about just diving in head first (so to speak ) and installing new heads with o-rings and new studs but he recommended running it with the above upgrades until it became an issue instead of dumping that 6K on something that isn't broke yet. I am just looking reliability #1 and for some more torque and hp to maintain speed on long climbs.

Anyone please send me any idea's or recommendations. Except to sell the SN!! I believe with a few tweeks it is the perfect RV and I've owned them ALL!!!
Ive got all the same questions as you, however nobody can seem to answer me either. The head tech at my local international dealer told me not to touch the motor..."DO NOTHING"...he said. He says the motor is not rated to handle any additional performance upgrades. Honestly...all i want to do is add an exhaust break...but there are no kits available.
aaronschiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

I did do the EGR delete and new ford oil cooler. I haven't done any power adders or tuners. It seems to run smoother and not work as hard to pull the rig down the road. I don't think it has more power but just feels less restricted. I do get a CEL until it warms up, not sure why that makes a difference. I plan on a high flow muffler that's not too loud and a mp8 module.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
I did do the EGR delete and new ford oil cooler. I haven't done any power adders or tuners. It seems to run smoother and not work as hard to pull the rig down the road. I don't think it has more power but just feels less restricted. I do get a CEL until it warms up, not sure why that makes a difference. I plan on a high flow muffler that's not too loud and a mp8 module.
I guess im just scared to touch it. everyone ive talked to...and i mean "everyone" says dont touch it. so i decided to delete the clutch fan, and im having a custom shroud with electric fans built. i should free up some HP as well as quiet everything down. im also going to do new exhaust with a high flow muffler. ive been told, the best thing you can do with that motor is keep it from getting hot. so i feel like those two things should help. im also going to to the air bag suspension kit in the rear.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Let me know how the fan install goes and any info on who did it for you. I really like to get rid of the mechanical fan. I'm also in the market for a high flow muffler too. Can you let me know what you end up installing and how loud it is
Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Let me know how the fan install goes and any info on who did it for you. I really like to get rid of the mechanical fan. I'm also in the market for a high flow muffler too. Can you let me know what you end up installing and how loud it is
I’m in southern CA, about 20 min north of LA. A buddy of mine owns an off-road fabrication shop and he is going to alter my existing shroud so that it will fit the new fan. I’m going with a 22” fan from electricfanengineering.com that rated for 350HP and up to 80,000lbs GVW. So it should run great. It will be on a 190 degree thermostat and I will also have an over ride switch to turn it on when I need to. As far as the exhaust, I may go larger diameter, and prob go with a magnaflow muffler. I will also more than likely do the exhaust brake kit. Everything I am doing will make the motor better. More flow, better cooling.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronschiada View Post
I’m in southern CA, about 20 min north of LA. A buddy of mine owns an off-road fabrication shop and he is going to alter my existing shroud so that it will fit the new fan. I’m going with a 22” fan from electricfanengineering.com that rated for 350HP and up to 80,000lbs GVW. So it should run great. It will be on a 190 degree thermostat and I will also have an over ride switch to turn it on when I need to. As far as the exhaust, I may go larger diameter, and prob go with a magnaflow muffler. I will also more than likely do the exhaust brake kit. Everything I am doing will make the motor better. More flow, better cooling.
Im in on the discussion! Just bought a 2009 Endura/International 6341. How did the electric fan install go? It seems like that monster mechanical fan eats HP and Fuel.
suprnovajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprnovajeff View Post
Im in on the discussion! Just bought a 2009 Endura/International 6341. How did the electric fan install go? It seems like that monster mechanical fan eats HP and Fuel.

still figuring things out. believe it or not, there isnt as much space as it seems. the fan company is difficult to work with and they are on the east coast, so the response time isnt quick when you try and ask questions. im told the fan can suck up to about 75 HP, so if i can get that back along with better cooling, ill be stoked. my fab guy is gonna have to build me a custom shroud as well, and we will prob end up going with a 2-fan setup. i will also be sending my ECM out so be flashed...they will add 50HP, better fuel economy, EGR delete.
https://bensdieselperformance.com/ec...-maxxforce-15/
i will also be doing an exhaust brake, with a high flow muffler, and 4" exhaust from the turbo back. ill keep you posted.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
check my last message
Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #10

Just bought my rig about 6 weeks ago not realizing the VT365 was the twin of the 6.0L P'stroke. After experiencing the signs of the EGR cooler issue I replaced it and the oil cooler with BulletProof parts. Seems to breathe easier and disaster avoided for sure. It would be great to improve the mileage from my average of about 7mpg. Please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks.
messy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by messy1 View Post
Just bought my rig about 6 weeks ago not realizing the VT365 was the twin of the 6.0L P'stroke. After experiencing the signs of the EGR cooler issue I replaced it and the oil cooler with BulletProof parts. Seems to breathe easier and disaster avoided for sure. It would be great to improve the mileage from my average of about 7mpg. Please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks.
congrats on the rig! i just did the hypermax programmer and control screen. and i gotta say...what a power improvement. i think there are 7 or 8 levels to choose from. i havent gone past level 3 cause i dont want to add too much, but the power difference is awesome. i went up a hill near my house that i can normally go up at 45 mph, to now hitting 58. thats a pretty solid jump. the hottest my EGT's get are about 1100 going up a long hill. the throttle response from dead stop is better...as well as smoother in when driving. i did the exhaust brake and a highflow muffler too...however we are not finished yet. the turbo flange allows too much blowby for the brake to activate. we will be welding a billet flange to the turbo and downpipe for a 100% tight seal. wiring everything in was a PAIN IN THE ASS too!! but i would say well worth it! hope this helps. i will repost after the exhaust brake is complete and working. my next add-on will be the rear air-ride system!

Tags
upgrade