Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wiper Switch blows fuse

I have a 2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager.

On a trip last week my windshield wipers failed. I found a blown 25A fuse. I replaced the fuse and the fuse again blew out immediately as soon as I turned the ignition switch on. I later unplugged the wiper motor (inside the front) and replaced the fuse. The fuse blew again immediately when I turned on the ignition.

I believe that means I have a wiring issue (must be a dead short to ground somewhere), not a wiper motor issue. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to troubleshoot the wiring (probably from the steering wheel stalk mounted switch all the way to the wiper motor plug connector)?

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
TonySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your first post is about problems.

The possibility of internal problems with the multi function switch can't be overlooked .
You say the fuse blows as soon as the ; ignition switch is turned on .
Was the wiper switch in the off position ?
Do you have a chassis owners manual , that would tell you if the fuse that blows ONLY supplies power to the wiper system ?
Have you disconnected the multi function switch wiring at the base of the steering column to see if that stops the fuse from blowing?
Do you have a 12 volt test light ?
Wiring a 12 volt test light , in place of the fuse , will save on fuse replacement till you pinpoint your problem. The bulb in the test light acts as the system load , when the bulb is lit you still have a grounded circuit.
The image below is from a search of a Workhorse multi function switch .
Does the wiring in the image match what you see on your steering column?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wh multifunction switch.gif
Views:	43
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	295210  
Old 08-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I deeply appreciate your thoughts on my electrical problems with my wiper motor circuit.

In the next few days I will get back to the camper, and follow what you recommended.

FYI - The switch is in the off position when I turn the ignition on (and the fuse blows). When the wipers failed, I was in a light rain shower and the wipers were operating, failure left the wipers near the center / park position. The first fuse replacement allowed the wiper arms to barely move once (appx. 1/4 inch into the park position).

I can move the wiper motor through a wipe cycle manually when the electrical connection is unplugged (it does take some strength to move the motor and connections).

The manual that I have indicates that the 25A fuse is on a dedicated circuit for the wiper motor.

I will use a test light to begin the short tracing process the way you described. Knowing that there is a Rational starting point is a most valuable piece of information. The photo (if not an exact match, it will give me an idea of what to look for) is greatly appreciated.

I have owned the 2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager / Workhorse Chassis for a few months now, and I do like the unit a lot. I have been working on several maintenance and updating projects. I am now in the early phases of learning the RVing routine (We just returned from a 3 week outing).

Thank you again for your direction and advice. I will share my findings with this group as my diagnosis continues.
TonySnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, switch