RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

Won't Start

I have a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo with an 8.3L Diesel. I attempted to start it and it will not start, turns over very good but does not fire. I looked underneath and found the water separator filter and turned the bottom drain valve open and nothing comes out, I have noticed small drips on it in the past so I wonder if all the fuel drained out. My question is can I replace the filter and fill it with fuel and hopefully get it fired off, or I need to do something else. Additionally where is the fuel filter, I would like to change it also but cannot locate it. I bought the coach used and did not get any manuals with it. The coach is on a workhorse frame if that helps I've googled and got some information but not enough to locate the filter. Thanks in advance fellow Campers. Take Care and Be Safe.

jcgorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

For now I'll assume since you said 8.3 and not ISC you have the 12 valve engine with the P 7100 injection pump.
You chassis may have only the one filter /separator , and should have a manual prime pump on the passenger side of the block by the starter; as in the engine diagram.

The fuel shut off solenoid is a common failure , that will cause you condition.
If you can access the solenoid , and manually lift/hold open the fuel flow activation lever , then try and start the engine . If you wire the lever open you'll have to access it to shut the engine off.
Diagram is the solenoid operation .
First picture is the solenoid and control relay.
Second picture a wiring diagram for the solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins 5.9 fuel solenoid.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	285828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel shut off_Wiring_Diagram_v1.png
Views:	4
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	285829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor locations 12 valve.gif
Views:	3
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	285838  
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #3

BTW: Workhorse R 32 series chassis , diesel pusher ; a year ago I didn't even know these existed , and your question is the second involving these chassis this week .

Some other places to look for info .

www.ultrarvproducts.com

Ultra RV helped the other R series owner find a trans cooler they might have the fuel system info you need.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

Thanks Skip, I bought this coach in 2015 and have had to learn everything the hard way. The dealer that I bought it at even told me that it was Cat powered but since then I've learned different. We are in the middle of a Tropical Depression and getting tons of rain right now so I will wait a couple of days to get back out under the coach. I will try your suggestions to see if I can get my coach started. I will report back with my progress or lack of progress.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #5

Workhorse , used only Cat C-7 engines in the last three years of their diesel pusher chassis production , early years used the Cummins 8.3 with an 8.9 as an option. All years used the Allison 3000 series trans.

I have a Workhorse chassis manual, pdf , and looked through it for fuel system info, on the R 32 , nothing there.
I got the pdf from Dessert Truck Service web page and tried to link you to it , but couldn't get the link to work
The pdf is 20kbs if you'd like it please send me a personal message , with your e mail address. Because the forum limits attachments to 3kbs so I can't post it here.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

OK . MY speed reading needs a lot of work and memory function needs adjustment too.

When I read your first post , and saw Workhorse chassis with Cummins , somehow I thought 1998 and not 2008 , so none of the info in my first post is of any use to you . Wrong fuel injection system .

BACK to square one , from the info I have Workhorse chassis built in 07/08 should have Cat C-7 power . Is your engine yellow or red/black.
Can you post a picture of your engine , taken from the top .
Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

Sorry I'm going back and forth on this , but I'm having to close down and open the pdf to double check info .

Depending on the Chassis production date , vs the Coach production date , a 2007 Workhorse chassis would come with an 8.3 ISC Cummins engine .
I wish I could snap shot the page from the pdf . But that's above my computer skill level .

Now I'll have to pull up fuel injection info for a 2007 Cummins ISC engine , because your system may be HPCR> ( High Pressure Common Rail ) and have an electric lift pump that's giving you problems .

A picture of the engine from the top would be a HUGE help .
Old 05-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgorham View Post
I bought this coach in 2015 and have had to learn everything the hard way.
I'll say sorry again for misreading you post and supplying incorrect info to this point.
So far on a Google search for 07/08 ISC fuel system info I've come up with confusing diagrams .
At this time I believe the best route is to track down your engine serial number and call ; Cummins care ; to ask about ; electric lift pump , location and duty cycle .
Some diagrams I've come across , have an electric pump mounted on the back side of the engine ECM ( Electronic Control Module ) and they use fuel flowing through the supply lines to cool the ECM.

Cummins Care
1-800-DIESELS
1-800-343-7357

Other coaches with Cummins and the electric lift pump , there is a dedicated fuse that supplies power to the ECM for the pump and the ECM controls the duty cycle of the pump. Hopefully you can find a fuse that will correct your problem.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'll say sorry again for misreading you post and supplying incorrect info to this point.
So far on a Google search for 07/08 ISC fuel system info I've come up with confusing diagrams .
At this time I believe the best route is to track down your engine serial number and call ; Cummins care ; to ask about ; electric lift pump , location and duty cycle .
Some diagrams I've come across , have an electric pump mounted on the back side of the engine ECM ( Electronic Control Module ) and they use fuel flowing through the supply lines to cool the ECM.

Cummins Care
1-800-DIESELS
1-800-343-7357

Other coaches with Cummins and the electric lift pump , there is a dedicated fuse that supplies power to the ECM for the pump and the ECM controls the duty cycle of the pump. Hopefully you can find a fuse that will correct your problem.
Curious about the Cummins Fuel Solenoid & Relay: I would expect the solenoid to be tough and relay to be most common problem?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

And the following side I have been able to find parts and service manuals for both of my Cummins 8.3 ISC Motors and both of the diesel generators. On my 1992 version had to rebuild the main engine from the ground up. It cost me about $3,000 including the injectors. I did all the labor. Open all inspection hatches and send me a picture of the top of the engine. If it is a pusher their electric lift pump will be on the left front. It doesn't seem to go bad very often except leak. It gets 12 volts for 30 seconds when you first start cranking it. If you're not getting any fuel out of your water separator fuel filter check the elbow at the inlet and make sure it is not clogged. There should also be a check valve filter housing. Make sure it is not stuck or clogged. If it is clogged with shredded plastic change the fuel feed hose from the tank to a later design. The fuel control or cut off solenoid will also be on the left side approximately center of the engine. It has a lever that should be pulled down when the engine is running. Both of mine were mounted vertically .You can zip tie it to that position and after starting it should keep running. If that solves your problem check the fuse that goes to it. To stop the engine from running cut the zip tie. The following is Cummins service manuals and parts catalog. It is very detailed. Put your engine serial number in it and you're good to go. It cost nothing except sometime.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #11

Sorry, I forgot to enter the link to Cummins.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Old 05-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #12

Also, enter your generator number. It has parts catalog. I can't remember about service manual.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cvx20 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to enter the link to Cummins.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Thank you I will give it a try...
Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #14

Thanks I will give it a try..the weather here in Eastern NC is horrible right now. We are getting hammered by rain, doesn't look good until maybe Sunday.