Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

1994 Country Coach Affinity

Hello. New to the forum and our reason for being here is to get educated on the RV lifestyle.

We are looking to break into the game with a 1994 Country Coach Affinity with the 3176 Cat and Allison Transmission. The coach interior is in immaculate condition. The exterior is in really good shape with some minor paint dings and scratches. The coach has 194,000 miles on it but all maintenance has been completed and is documented throughout its life. New tires, new ac units, all belts/hoses/fluids/filters replaced by current owner (family member). Asking price is $35k. I feel comfortable breaking into the RV life at that price. I’d rather discover my like/dislike for RVing with a Class A for a little money than for $500k. We would be using it for summers (wife is a teacher) and occasional camping in the rest of the year more local to Western Washington.

Looking to hear any inputs in this model/year, comments on reasonable price, etc. Throw it out there and help me make my decision.

Travis
1994 CC Affinity #5060 CAT 3176 w/ Allison HT746
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
We have never had a trip negatively affected by failed slide-outs in the last 17 years!

The biggest problem we have had to deal with is the peeling clearcoat applied directly to gelcoat. Clearcoat over base coat is still good.

We have no experience with the Cat and have fewer miles on the rig.

Sounds like you have a rig belonging to someone you know and the full history of the rig. That is very good!!

We have yet to rationalize buying a fancier rig than what we have..
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I feel pretty comfortable in the condition and since I know the owners I don’t feel like I need to worry about getting fleeced.

I’ve requested an insurance quote to see where we stand in that area. Need to decide which way I am going on storage when not it use. I have a shop planned that will be big enough for it but that build is still at least a year out.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #4

I have a 94 vintage Beaver Marquis built on the Gillig chassis with the Cat 3176 and Allison HT-740 4 speed trans. Very solid unit. Go for it if you like it !
Cdnw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #5

We have a similar vintage CC concept and like it, you will be fiddling with things all the time be that's why its 35k vs 105k

If you know the prev owners and how they took care of the coach that will help a lot but keep in mind they are not plug and play. Given it;s age there will be a few surprises but the miles to me are good news. I would worry if it has 55k on it as it has not been really used... ever.
Regular use and maint will save your wallet as you start to use it VS if it has really been sitting for 10 yrs.

The price seems reasonable but still have the big things checked, pull an oil sample and take to the truck shop to be tested, look for water damage and RUST of any kind.
Test and understand all the systems so you know what works. Keep in mind that even a generator on an old coach is 7k to replace and not really worth it

Remember anything that is acting up is caused by something going wrong, find out what it is asap because an occasional little drip can be a whole new floor in a short time. A little short can be a $$$ fried electrical component as it eats its way through the system
Other than that realize you will probably never get much for it in resale and have fun with it!!
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #6

Fully understand the nuances of buying something this old. I spent time as a heavy equipment mechanic in my career. Been wrenching in vehicles since before I had a license and have restored/rebuilt several vehicles. Not much I am afraid of tackling and I am meticulous when it comes to preventative and corrective maintenance.

And in the immortal words of Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, “My (I’ve) got an awesome set of tools!” ��
Old 09-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Go for it! A guy with your back ground is a shoe-in for a used CC. Personally I would rather have a better built older coach than some of the newer rigs out there. I find my rig a pleasure to work on and update. Best, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Go for it! A guy with your back ground is a shoe-in for a used CC. Personally I would rather have a better built older coach than some of the newer rigs out there. I find my rig a pleasure to work on and update. Best, Don

We went for it! Looking forward to the adventures to come. Next step is getting a 50 amp hookup and pad together so I can bring it home. [emoji1360]
Old 09-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Fantastic! There is a wealth of info here and the running gear should not be a problem with your back ground. I have over $10K investe in mine for a re-commission. You are way ahead of me it sounds like. I have the 6V:92 and have had excellent luck with that engine in larger comm. fishing vessels.
CC did an excellent job of numbering their wires so electrical with the schematics should not be too big an issue. There must be 5o solenoids and thats my concern...having a few on board for backups! Getting ready for a trip to OR next month just in time for the rain. Best to you and yours, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
We went for it! Looking forward to the adventures to come. Next step is getting a 50 amp hookup and pad together so I can bring it home. [emoji1360]

Congratulations! Let the learning and fun begin!
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #11

We had a 1995 Affinity with the 3176b Engine. We put about 125,000 miles on it, and the only trouble we had was the hydraulic hose burst. The hydraulic system powers the cooling fans and the power steering. You can still steer, but on the first hill it will quickly overheat! Make sure you inspect this hose. Easy fix if in the shop. The Cat engine never leaked a drop of oil, unlike the Detroit Diesel in our current coach. I had the engine serviced at the local Caterpillar shop, which were great to deal with. The main difference between the 1994 and the 1995 was the transmission--we had a 6-speeed Allison. They are well-built coaches, just make sure you have someone go through the coach to ensure all chassis components are in good shape.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
We had a 1995 Affinity with the 3176b Engine. We put about 125,000 miles on it, and the only trouble we had was the hydraulic hose burst. The hydraulic system powers the cooling fans and the power steering. You can still steer, but on the first hill it will quickly overheat! Make sure you inspect this hose. Easy fix if in the shop. The Cat engine never leaked a drop of oil, unlike the Detroit Diesel in our current coach. I had the engine serviced at the local Caterpillar shop, which were great to deal with. The main difference between the 1994 and the 1995 was the transmission--we had a 6-speeed Allison. They are well-built coaches, just make sure you have someone go through the coach to ensure all chassis components are in good shape.

Good info. Thanks. I’ll give it a good check again when I pick it up. I do know all the hoses were replaced as preventative maintenance but I will double check this one in particular.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Now that it has been a year and a half, do you still enjoy your Country Coach? Any surprises, good or bad?
Hannaclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannaclan View Post
Now that it has been a year and a half, do you still enjoy your Country Coach? Any surprises, good or bad?

Still enjoying it though between Covid and my taking a new job we are not using it as much as we had planned. Mostly 3-5 nighters at state campgrounds.

No big surprises. Water heater line developed a leak so repaired those with pex and sharkbite fittings. Dash panels have cracks from age and sun. I am getting ready to experiment with Rowmark Ultragrave and a laser engraver to try and make new ones. Gauges need some ground cleaning to make then less twitchy with current draw. Transmission temp seems to really climb on short steep grades getting to my house but they are REALLY steep so that’s not surprising I guess. Fuel economy has been phenomenal. I average 9.5mpg minimum. Probably a little better when you factor running the generator as well.

She’s a good old coach that really needs more use than she’s getting. Hopefully we will get more time this year.

Tags
country coach