RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

1997 Country Coach Intrigue

Hello, new to the forum looking for some insight and opinions on a older CC that I came across that might be available and any issues I should look out for. The motorhome is close to my home and just sits, I've seen it moved one time in a the last few years. I was going to leave a note since the residence is not lived at, but just happened to catch the owner there the other day. He said he might be interested in selling but needed to talk it over with the wife first. He had it running when I pulled up and it sounded nice and quiet. Odometer is right at 72k.
The exterior clear coat is a bit flakey but I didn't notice any body damage anywhere. He let me take a peek inside and was quite nice with no issues that I saw but wasn't really inspecting anything. It's not a popout model which I would rather have but if the price is right I could live without. What issues should I look for? I figured it would need tires, some rubber hoses replace etc and look for any water leaks. What would a good price be for this rig?
I would be using it to run out of town for fun for the weekend or holidays and stuff like that with my family and be able to pull an older Bronco with no problems. I"ve stared at this sucker for years, they look to be a nicely built motorhome and not a flimsy piece of junk from what I have be seeing. I attached a pic, hopefully I did it correctly... Thanks for any and all input!!

slddnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

At that age condition will be the determining factor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #3

Look out for many things. I recently bought a 2000 Magna at what I considered a discount. My subsequent spending is going to get me close to what the value might have been. Here are the issues I have encountered.

Peplace batteries, not Lifeline brand, $1400, tires using the FMCA program, $4,000, replace tie rod ends and draglink, $2,500.

Clear coat is peeling on the back cap, about 33% peeled so far. Was quoted $3500 to repaint and spray clear. However I have a friend who can paint autos and trucks.

The coach is a good machine. Had a friend with a new Tiffin and he was impressed with the systems that were on a 2000 coach.

If this has been sitting for a long time the seals in the engine will be an issue as well as hoses.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Hopefully he took it for a 30 min ride when he started it and not just start and let idle.
Just starting and letting it idle is the worse thing you can do to it. You need to drive it to get it up to normal operating temp. If not I would rather it just sat.
I would check to see if you have a dry pto. If so they make a wet kit for it that I think costs about $500.00
If there is a t fitting on the pto it has the kit here is a pic.

Check Windows for fogging and the snake looking seals between window glass.
They sell a DIY repair kit or you can have them done for 200-300 per window
I have a 1998 and it's all original and everything is still working as it should.
The clear coat really needs to be sanded and reshot $$$

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
DTS

They work great for towing old Broncos!

Jeeps too!

I'd just echo what everyone else is saying. These are great motorhomes, solidly built. And they don't have a lot of the high tech features that give the owners of newer models so many headaches. But components do age, and will need to be looked at. The clear coat flaking is very common, just about every CC from that area is doing it, unless they've been stored inside all their lives.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #6

Personally I wouldn't buy a coach that has lot rot. Too many unknowns.
These are well built, but I would look for one that has had better care.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #7

I've got a 96 Intrigue, paint scheme same as yours. Having major clear-coat peeling. Gonna come a lot to redo, which sucks since it's a cosmetic problem. You've got to have it checked out. Engine, transmission, generator. Do oil tests to see if any major problems. Solid Coach, I've had no problems with roof, cabinets. Gillig chassis is solid. Good luck 😁
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Looks can be deceiving. First off I love these older coaches, I say that often. We have a 2000 allure and totally love it. The price we paid versus what something newer would cost and the rig we have is fantastic. So...my two cents.

Everything is worth something that is what needs to be determined. So with the sunshine goggles off take a thorough look see on your own. Obviously any leaks is bad. Where is it stored? Is it a wet location or dry? Our coach came out of Arizona and had no leaks and no rust. Those were two huge things I took into consideration. The clear coat has started to peel but that is cosmetic. Our coach had no service records, yes I know, I know. I am a mechanic so I can fix most all issues.

Being leak and rust free was a major plus for us. To offset the no service records I looked at the whole coach with an open mind. For example, gen had maybe 400 hours, plus for me. It had a silverleaf, cord and hose reals, all bays had sliding joey beds, it had the webasto diesel heater installed. All these things told me the owner spent a lot of money on extras for this baby. Also had a custom oak cabinet installed with flat screen and av sat gear. It matches the original cabinetry. So in my thinking, it would only make sense that he serviced it regularly. They loved this coach. She purrs like kitten going down the road and is a dream to drive. Now there are maintenance things that I have done. Leveling valves, going to put in a new otr compressor and drier maybe tomorrow. Full service of everything of course. Tires. Brakes were literally brand new.

Point being is that there are things to consider in price point. If it needs these things keep that in mind. Ask questions. Hire an independent inspector to go over it etc. If it's cheap enough and you are mechanical even better. Hopefully you found a diamond in the rough.

Don't let on you know these are great coaches too. Pretend you are just looking for something used and inexpensive etc. Let him tell you about the coach. Search on the sale sites for comparable price average to get an idea.

Finally let us know how things are going. I would love to hear a great find story.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses everyone. One thing the owner of this one told me was on occasion when sitting long periods it's hard to start. Maybe it's just losing its prime? Do these engines have a way to prime the system? I have been trying to read up a bunch on these coaches. I don't mind a fixer upper, my main concerns are water damage or leaks and a sound chassis. Would you bother to look at one that wasn't running?
slddnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slddnmatt View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. One thing the owner of this one told me was on occasion when sitting long periods it's hard to start. Maybe it's just losing its prime? Do these engines have a way to prime the system? I have been trying to read up a bunch on these coaches. I don't mind a fixer upper, my main concerns are water damage or leaks and a sound chassis. Would you bother to look at one that wasn't running?

What engine does it have?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
What engine does it have?
That year coach should be a ISC 330. It might even be a mechanical instead of electronic
Old 07-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #12

That looks great 36' with the booth dinette super deep slide out!
dmp1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #13

FYI. I bought tires. Ha kook AH12 off of Simple Tire dot com. Free shipping under 2200 delivered. Cost me 280 for install that included new valve stems at like $11 each. Got about 3k mikes on the tires. No complaints
Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #14

I've got the 6CTA Motor in my 98 Allure So far 8.8 mpg ! All mechanical. No electronics, your Allison Transmission should have an ECU,

Tags
country coach