Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, we came home without a new coach. The outside looked great and we were hoping the inside would be the same and it was for the most part. Then Katherine noticed a small circular tear in the wall paper in the bedroom. Being the curious type, she stuck her finger in it and it was soaking wet! Water was seeping down the wall. A closer inspection of the outside revealed a wave in the gel coat at the exact same spot. It wasn't real obvious until you looked at it at a very shallow angle. The wall had delaminated there. That was a deal breaker and we left.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Well, we came home without a new coach. The outside looked great and we were hoping the inside would be the same and it was for the most part. Then Katherine noticed a small circular tear in the wall paper in the bedroom. Being the curious type, she stuck her finger in it and it was soaking wet! Water was seeping down the wall. A closer inspection of the outside revealed a wave in the gel coat at the exact same spot. It wasn't real obvious until you looked at it at a very shallow angle. The wall had delaminated there. That was a deal breaker and we left.
Bummer! We were hoping to see pics your new coach. Glad you found the issues and hopefully the seller was unaware and gets it fixed before attempting to sell it. Keep looking there are lots to be had!
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Bummer! We were hoping to see pics your new coach. Glad you found the issues and hopefully the seller was unaware and gets it fixed before attempting to sell it. Keep looking there are lots to be had!
I don't think he knew about it and the ad was taken down by the time we got home. I missed the delamination the first time I went around the coach so it wasn't really obvious. I don't think I would have identified it if I hadn't known where to look after finding the water in the wall. It really was in beautiful condition for a 1999 model.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

Too bad looks like a nice one. What was the asking price just out of courisity.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Too bad looks like a nice one. What was the asking price just out of courisity.
Yes, it was in terrific condition and that made it harder to walk away. He started at $43K and was down to $39,900. We hadn't agreed on price yet and I was hoping for closer to $38K. It was missing the awning and it looked like it had been blown off as there was some damage to plastic trim on the side of the coach. The tires were over 5 years old and there were a few other small issues, but overall for a 16 year old coach it was in remarkable shape. I had arranged for an RV inspection and was close to calling him to come over when we found the water damage. The wife has an eagle eye.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We really liked the layout and the size of the Allure and it's hard to find a motor home of this vintage with a 330 HP engine with side radiator.

Since we were in Houston, we stopped by PPL on the way home and found a 2003 Allegro Bus listed at $56K in pretty good condition. It was a 3 slide unit with a 350 Cummins and side radiator. It was a beautiful coach, but as we sat on the couch we realized we really don't need or want the extra room the third slide provides.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #21

That tiffin at PPL looks nice. Don't care for a slide out over my outside patio area sence we spend most of our time outside. I could handel a bedroom slide on patio side just not under my awning. Another thing it would be hard for me to get use to is having that step up to the dinnette.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #22

Sound like you are in texas. I would head over to here Luxury Pre-Owned Motorhome Dealer for Foretravel Newell Country Coach. and sit in a older foretravel and take one out for a ride. I wanted a non slide foretravel but my wife wanted a living room slide. I would hop on a older non slide foretravel in a heartbeat.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
That tiffin at PPL looks nice. Don't care for a slide out over my outside patio area sence we spend most of our time outside. I could handel a bedroom slide on patio side just not under my awning. Another thing it would be hard for me to get use to is having that step up to the dinnette.
That's true about the slide under the awning, I was trying to figure out how the patio awning would work with the slide open. I also wondered out loud about just not opening the third slide!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Sound like you are in texas. I would head over to here Luxury Pre-Owned Motorhome Dealer for Foretravel Newell Country Coach. and sit in a older foretravel and take one out for a ride. I wanted a non slide foretravel but my wife wanted a living room slide. I would hop on a older non slide foretravel in a heartbeat.
We're looking at an Intrigue there.

What is it about the Foretravel that you like? I've never been in one and don't think we'd rule out a nonslide coach. The problem is the value NADA assigns to most nontravel coaches. The 36' Allure we were looking at had a value of $35K with one slide and $17K with none!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #25

I think when you start getting into these 10-15 year old coaches you can throw the book away. It's going to come down to condition. The Foretravels have real nice wood work usually generator on a slide, big engine with a retarder. That 1998 Intriuge looks nice no slide and 59k. Did you see the 2002 double slide Allure there for the same $$ and four years newer although the Intriuge is one step up the ladder. But my guess that in four years some of that trickled down to the Allure.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I think when you start getting into these 10-15 year old coaches you can throw the book away. It's going to come down to condition. The Foretravels have real nice wood work usually generator on a slide, big engine with a retarder. That 1998 Intriuge looks nice no slide and 59k. Did you see the 2002 double slide Allure there for the same $$ and four years newer although the Intriuge is one step up the ladder. But my guess that in four years some of that trickled down to the Allure.
We saw that too. I think we're going to try to get over there this Friday. If we can't make a deal by this weekend, it'll have to wait until after the first of the year.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #27

Keep us posted and take some pics. I'm sure you will find the coach that fits.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #28

Where was the water leak? It makes me want to look close at mine!
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote