Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #1

1999 Intrigue 40' Entry Steps not Staying out

Hello just got our 99 Intrigue home and started digging into a handful of small issues. I have both the Owner's Manual and User's Guide 3-ring binders and the accordian file folder.

My issue is the steps will not stay out even with the step override switch toggled. I found the wiring digram and checked the following for operation.

1. checked fuse #402 and circuit break #409 in domestic box, both good.
2. step swich - getting 12v to switch
3. step switch - off postion - no 12v to ground
4. step switch - on positon - yes 12v to ground
5. door switch - door open/close position switch (hinge side near bottom) - when pressing the switch manually the steps go in and out when I press and release the door position switch. I also checked the stairwell light switch and it works as it should with the light coming on when the door is opened and off when the door is closed.

At this point I thinking it's the ignition trigger so regardless of switch position the steps retract. however, I cannot find the ignition fuse box to check fuse #68.

if you have any additional troubleshooting tips that would be helpful as well.
LowBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

I have a Kwikee service manual as a pdf file. If you would like, pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

If your control module has to be replaced the door switch will have to be rewired. The older modules like ours have the door switch wired to a normally closed contact while the new controllers require wiring to a normally open contact. Our door switches have a normally open contact that is capped off so I think you can just move the ground wire on the switch to the other contact.

Assuming you have your ignition switch off when you ran your test then I would venture a guess that it is the control module but you need to get to the controller wiring and test the wire from the ignition switch to make sure it has no voltage when the ignition is off.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig, if the key is in the ignition, the steps will not stay out when the door is closed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
I have a Kwikee service manual as a pdf file. If you would like, pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

If your control module has to be replaced the door switch will have to be rewired. The older modules like ours have the door switch wired to a normally closed contact while the new controllers require wiring to a normally open contact. Our door switches have a normally open contact that is capped off so I think you can just move the ground wire on the switch to the other contact.

Assuming you have your ignition switch off when you ran your test then I would venture a guess that it is the control module but you need to get to the controller wiring and test the wire from the ignition switch to make sure it has no voltage when the ignition is off.
prefect, I'll jump under the coach and test that wire to ground, do you know the color?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
On my rig, if the key is in the ignition, the steps will not stay out when the door is closed.
Check the yellow wire at the connector under the step, with the key on. Should have 12 vdc.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #6

Why, this is intentional to avoid trashing the steps when driving
Old 11-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

so update.. I talked with Kwikee steps tech support and did a test. with the results I called them back and they said I needed a new control unit. purchased this and install it this weekend and guess what, same issue.

now I am stuck, I have metered the wires and checked voltages and everything seems to give me results I would expect. what am I missing, at this point it's got to be something really simple.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

Is this a new controller that requires the door switch to be rewired or replaced? If I remember correctly from other posts the switch has to be changed out with the new controllers.

If the switch needs to be changed you may be able to just connect the ground wire at the door switch to the blanked off wire on the switch. At least on my coach the ground wire is connected to the normally closed terminal. It may be that the new controller needs to be connected to the normally open terminal.

I would have thought Kwikee would have discussed the needed switch with you.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #9

The new controller probably requires a Normally Open magnetic switch in the door frame. Mine did.

A new normally open switch from Kwikee is black. The color is the only change I can see in their product since 1995.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
The new controller probably requires a Normally Open magnetic switch in the door frame. Mine did.

A new normally open switch from Kwikee is black. The color is the only change I can see in their product since 1995.
I apologize, the above is likely not your solution to the issue. Evidently your steps extend or retract when the door is opened or closed.

Does the wall mounted Step switch override any part of the step action when turned to off?

I use the wall switch to override the door switch to be able to have the steps extended with the door closed.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Check the yellow wire for 12 volts with the key off. It should not have voltage, if it does, there is your problem.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBridge View Post
Hello just got our 99 Intrigue home and started digging into a handful of small issues. I have both the Owner's Manual and User's Guide 3-ring binders and the accordian file folder.

My issue is the steps will not stay out even with the step override switch toggled. I found the wiring digram and checked the following for operation.

1. checked fuse #402 and circuit break #409 in domestic box, both good.
2. step swich - getting 12v to switch
3. step switch - off postion - no 12v to ground
4. step switch - on positon - yes 12v to ground
5. door switch - door open/close position switch (hinge side near bottom) - when pressing the switch manually the steps go in and out when I press and release the door position switch. I also checked the stairwell light switch and it works as it should with the light coming on when the door is opened and off when the door is closed.

At this point I thinking it's the ignition trigger so regardless of switch position the steps retract. however, I cannot find the ignition fuse box to check fuse #68.

if you have any additional troubleshooting tips that would be helpful as well.
I just replaced my Control module with the Lippert 379146 which is supposed to work with the Step switch override of the door magnetic switch to make the steps stay extended with the door closed.

The initial problem was the Ignition override switch was the only way the steps could be extended and retracted as it reacted properly to the door magnetic switch and the door position.

My steps now extend when the door is opened and the ignition is off. But they will not stay extended with the Step Switch turned off. They retract when the door is closed.

I found that the Step Switch fuse on wire 114 was blown again. In fact I blew 6 of them in just a few minutes. Stuffing this 77 year old body into the basement to change those fuses was interesting and not comfortable.

So, there is a short in the step switch wiring. The switch itself tests ok. But, when I turn the step switch off with the steps extended, it blows.

My 1995 door magnetic switch appears to work correctly with the old control board and the new control board, so I have not replaced it.

The Ignition override switch worked correctly with the old control board but I cannot tell if it does with the new control board, until I can get the steps to stay out.

My quest is now to learn why the Step Switch fuse is blowing when it is turned off while the steps are extended and the door is closed.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #13

I test my ignition override feature by turning off the house battery switch with the step retracted.

Start the engine.

Open the entry door.

Steps should go out.

Close the entry door.

Steps should retract.

Turn off engine.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #14

when my steps did the same thing, the magnetic switch turned out the be the issue. If you go up behind the bumper, you can find the connection where the switch is wired in. Disconnect the switch and connect the wires directly together and see if steps retract. If they do, order yourself a new switch, they are about $9.00 (I ordered two and threw on in the spare parts drawer). I also took the time while waiting for new switch to lube up everything real good. No issues since. '01 Intrigue.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, steps