Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

1999 Magna ECM location

Greetings.

My 1999 Magna, 95,000 miles, C10 CAT died after going over a railroad track. Luckily I was able to safely coast off of the highway.

I tried everything I know of trying to get it to restart. I end up having it towed to my sons house.

Plenty of fuel. Generator work fine.

I cleaned all the battery connections, checked fuses, verified good fuel pressure at the filter/hand pump.

But noticed the driver information panel shows “No data link communications “. So after researching many forums, I suspect could be an issue with ground or other wiring to the ECM.

Could anyone advise where the ECM is located? Hopefully I won’t need to get under the coach as it is currently parked in a grass field, snakes have been seen under the coach as well as not much room as I can’t lift coach since it won’t start.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

David
DRCURRENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

The location of the engines ECM is the passenger side of the coach just above the engine starter. Bolted to the side of the engine block.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a similar problem on my Cummins with no information center.

Ignition switch on no cranking, no lights on transmission pad and the center row of chassis fuses would not light up in the front driver side basement.

My rig has an ignition solenoid (in addition to the starter solenoid) in that front basement compartment.

The ground connection on the ignition solenoid failed but the failure was not visible.

Established a new ground and it fired right up.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Might also take quick look at the red emergency cutoff button there by the engine if you haven’t already. Jostle of the tracks could have tripped it. When mine was accidentally bumped, I was in the process of looking for the ECM as well until my 9 year old walked up and randomly asked what the big red button was for. Pulled it back out and everything went back to operating like it had been 5 minutes before.
2000 Country Coach Affinity #5695, 42' double slide Bed & Breakfast
All-electric, 455HP Cat C-12, tag axle
Tucson Arizona
gruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #5

Thanks

Thank you all for your comments.

I went over and worked on it today. I took off the engine cover under the bed and did see the ECM. It was too far down to access from the top. I again cleaned the battery connectors. I crawled under the rear of the coach looking for the reported issues with a possible poor hot wire or ground to the ECM; as well as in the battery compartment; but couldn't locate that wire(s). (Luckily didn't see any live snakes or there would have been a big wet or brown spot underneath me. Did see some shedded snake skins).

It does crank, but not start. But note again it was running well for about 30 miles until I went over the railroad tracks; then died and hasn't restarted since. I don't know if that was a coincidence or caused the problem.

So still searching for the issue. After just retiring, we can't afford to call out a CAT mechanic.

Thank you all again.

David
DRCURRENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

I had to replace the ECM on my C-10. The cost of the mechanic is about 1/2 the cost of the ECM. Mine was $2500 for the ECM. Total about $3500 t0 $4000 if the ECM is your problem. It can be replaced from the top with a little help from below.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #7

I don't know if this is common to all chassis with Cat engines , BUT my Freightliner chassis with Cat , has an in line ( 20 amp) fuse the supplies battery power to the Cat ECM .
After spending a few hours trying to help a neighbor in the RV park trying to get his 98 Beaver with Cat started , it was towed to a shop and repaired in an hour , when a mechanic who knew about the fuse managed to find it.
Took me about an hour and a half to find mine , after I confirmed with Freightliner that it existed and getting wiring diagrams and schematics.

Look for a four wire connector in the ECM wiring, mine was within 18" of the ECM , if it's like mine that connector is 2 battery power wires ( from the one fuse ) and 2 ground wires. If you find that connector and have no power , you'll have to search for the inline fuse.

Tags
1999, cat, ecm