Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

2000 Magna HWH won't go into travel mode

We've had this coach for five years and never had an HWH air leveling system problem. Recently I changed all the air bags. And have already gone on a 500 mile trip without incident. I pulled the coach out of my shop yesterday and it wouldn't go into travel mode so I had to level it manually. The way our coach is set up; anytime the ignition is "on" the HWH system shuts off; goes to travel mode and levels itself according to the mechanical ride height valves. The coach is over at a neighbor's having some paint work done so I can't access it right now. When I get it home I will begin troubleshooting.

I'm looking at the HWH 500 Series trouble shooting manual and will check Fuse#12 to see if its blown. And I'll check the power harness to see if there is power on the Ignition (yellow) #6110 wire. If the fuse is blown or if its not getting power on the yellow wire I can chase those issues. I see there is a front harness and a rear harness so I can eliminate one at a time.

Anyone else with this setup have any perspective to offer? I don't see how replacing airbags would affect the electronics so it must be something else.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Break set tag down?
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
Anyone else with this setup have any perspective to offer? I don't see how replacing airbags would affect the electronics so it must be something else.
Fred
I've had similar intermittent issues on my 2000 Affinity. Same setup, I just have the extra lift-able tag axle. Seemed like sometimes unplugging the ribbon cable behind the control panel up front would help. Then I found that that physically pressing on one of the circuit cards in the main control box back in the rear electrical bay would get it into travel mode (suspect bad solder joint or relay that pressing on would affect). Eventually one day it wouldn't enter travel mode, and I couldn't manually control all the sides. Had to pull one of the circuit cards out and sent it off to HWH. It had some visible heat damage on the PWB. They troubleshot it and rebuilt part of it. Took several weeks and about $100. Been working consistent since, though we haven't had it out much.

I'd say keep following the troubleshooting guide, it's pretty good. There are quite a few voltages you can measure in the control box that will help ensure all the sensors and power forms are getting back to the control boards.
2000 Country Coach Affinity #5695, 42' double slide Bed & Breakfast
All-electric, 455HP Cat C-12, tag axle
Tucson Arizona
gruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
TR4

You might check the air pressure switch in the bay under the drivers seat. Itís the same one used for the parking brake.

Bill
Old 04-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
You might check the air pressure switch in the bay under the drivers seat. Itís the same one used for the parking brake.

Bill
Hey good point I forgot that there is a parking brake input to the system too. It could be that air switch. When I get it back from the paint shop I'll follow the troubleshooting guide. I dread the thought of maybe having to replace one of the air solenoid manifolds. They are buried way up high between the frame rails and will be very difficult to remove/replace.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Old 05-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #6

Now I have the coach back in my shop and have gone through the HWH 500 series troubleshooting guide. Following the steps in Part 2: there is power to the control box on the 6110 (yellow) wire and the 6100 (red) wire which means there is 12v power and 12v power from the ignition switch - but no travel mode. And there are no other LEDs lit. And the coach will not return to normal ride height unless I do it manually. It says "replace control box".

Also says go to part 7 in the guide. There are no blown fuses. Next step I guess is to check the pins in the control box that feed the travel solenoids so with the front and rear wiring harnesses unplugged I will check the pins that feed wire numbers 1700 (front travel solenoid) and 3700 (rear travel solenoid).

I have jumpered 6100 (ignition) 1700 (front) 3700 (rear) temporarily which brings the coach back to proper ride height.

I have a call into HWH tech support as well. Any other thoughts?
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #7

Try calling Paul Maddox (602) 549-3638. Heís a HWH sales and service tech and much easier to reach than going through the HWH phone tree. You can also email him at pfmaddox@att.net. Very nice guy.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Antares
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #8

Fred this happened to me years ago, it was the air switch as you call it in the bay under the driver's seat. I seem to recall I jumped those wires and it solved the problem is how I identified it.
birdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #9

I should add that the air switch is available at any Napa or most auto parts stores.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #10

I had a similar problem on my MAGNA. All four low pressure switches were bad and the two rear ride height valves. What a bit...h getting the low pressure switches out. The wiring was ty tied on the other side of the six pack manifold. Couldn’t get to once the switch was out without removing the six pack, which seemed to be a lot of work to remove.. Ended up cutting the wires and leaving the remains intact. Not a big deal. Working space is very tight. Ended up modifying a 1 inch socket to accommodate the wires. Made the job much easier. Be sure that you are up on blocks, I drove up on 6 inches of 2x10 boards. Still tight but I am a slim guy. Good Luck.
Butterball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #11

The parking brake air switch I am referring to is on the frame in the electrical bay under the driver's seat. It's very simple to replace. A couple of wires and unscrew it and screw the new one in.
birdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:59 AM   #12

Thanks Rich. I'll spend some more time figuring out which switch is the parking brake switch. That certainly would be easier to replace than anything else discussed in this thread. Interesting that the troubleshooting guide makes no mention of that switch. But definitely worth checking.

I also have a call into Paul Maddox as mentioned above.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Old 05-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #13

Hey guys Paul Maddox called me and agreed the control board may be bad. Then I mentioned the park brake ground and he said absolutely you need to have a good ground there. Low and behold I tested the wire #6000 and there is no ground there so I may have a just a bad switch as you guys said. I'll test further tonight. That Paul Maddox fellow is very helpful.

Thanks again for steering me in what appears to be the right direction!!
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Old 05-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #14

On my O2 Magna there's three or four of those pressure switches sticking out on the back wall of the electrical Bay under the driver's seat, you can't miss them. One of them is the parking brake. Maybe they did it differently in your 2000.

Tags
hwh, travel