Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #1

2003 Magna Electrically Dead (help)

1. Batteries were mostly dead (both)
2. 30 amp bkr to inverter on main panel was off (main was only bkr on)
3. Started Gen
4. Power off 15amp post was also supplied to coach
5. Magna showed nothing to batteries (0 amps)
6. Tried to start engine (with battery boost pushed)
7. Gen shut off
8. Tripped 15 amp bkr at supply post
9. Reset bkr on post and no input voltage on display panel. (Verified green light on post gfci)
10. LEDs on Surge Guard are on, but nothing else anywhere in coach.

Why is power to coach not reaching display panel or anything else? I reset main bkrs, but did nothing

Help. Supposed to go camping tomorrow...
CCRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #2

By the way, I am new to motorcoaches...
Old 09-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #3

Also moved the post power to a battery charger and hooked to domestic batteries. (Just a 4amp charger ..)
Old 09-02-2022, 01:39 AM   #4

Move charger to chassis battery and give it 5 or more hours to get some charge in the batteries, so you can get the main engine running.

That will send some charging to the house batteries. That's needed for the inerter/charger to start charging on shore power.

All inverter breakers must be left on so it receives shore power to run its battery charger.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #5

Will do that.

Thank you for the response!
Old 09-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRandy View Post
3. Started Gen

Help. Supposed to go camping tomorrow...
If generator is running it overrides the shore power.

Check for incoming voltage from generator to house batteries. If none, you may have a transfer switch issue.

If house batteries gain voltage ( after 30 minutes) I have been able to start the engine with the generator running and using the boost switch.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #7

So.

I have power to microwave but nothing else.

No lights and I plugged the rv into post power and can't even get the panel to register voltage.

Can't find the transfer switch that the manual states is in the bedroom upper cabinet on srivers side.

Battery is at 13.8 volts as indicated in Magnum and external charger.

All breakers in main panel are on except water heater and dryer
Old 09-02-2022, 10:58 AM   #8

Many built in inverter/chargers will not charge dead batteries. You must use an external charge source to bring them up to the charger cut off voltage first. Use the engine alternator or a portable external charger.

3. Started Gen

Both shore power can be connected and generator can be running at the same time, but only one can usually be connected to house circuits at a time. Most RV's have a transfer switch that manages this. Usually the generator has priority.

5. Magna showed nothing to batteries (0 amps)

The 30 amp inverter breaker probably has to be "on" for many 120 volt appliances including the battery charger will work. Not all RV's are the same. Turn other appliances "off" individually.

6. Tried to start engine (with battery boost pushed)
7. Gen shut off
8. Tripped 15 amp bkr at supply post

Dead house batteries cannot supply boost to start the engine. They can draw 12 volt power from the chassis battery while the boost is pushed.

The generator requires 12 volts to start and run. Some generators get 12 volts from chassis batteries, some from house batteries, some from dedicated generator battery.

If house battery voltage was below minimums (dead), generator would not start. If chassis battery could not start engine, it may still start the generator. So, I am assuming the generator starts from the engine start battery. If so, the generator should also stop when you try to start the engine without the boost.

I guess the generator stops due to loss of 12 volts for ignition.

Once generator stopped, I guess the transfer switch automatically switched to shore power. The shore pedestal breaker tripped because it was overloaded.

Since shore power overloaded, this indicates that a lot of 120 volt appliances are still "on".

Check
water heater is "off"
air conditioner or heaters are "off"
refrig is "off" or running on propane.
holding tank heaters "off"
engine preheat are "off"

9. Reset bkr on post and no input voltage on display panel. (Verified green light on post gfci)
10. LEDs on Surge Guard are on, but nothing else anywhere in coach.

Why is power to coach not reaching display panel or anything else? I reset main bkrs, but did nothing

Options:
Jump start the engine. Let it run for a while to charge the chassis battery. Maybe run for an hour. Engine RPM may need to be above idle to charge.

Charge engine start battery. A 4 amp charger could take may hours to even partially charge the battery. A 20 to 50 amp charger is needed or you won't be leaving tomorrow.

Once you have the engine running and chassis battery partially charged, the house batteries may begin charging as well. Monitor battery terminal voltage to know. Get a cheap digital mult-meter from your local hardware store to monitor voltages.

Voltage on battery terminals should rise above 13 volts after a while if charging is taking place. Once you get the built in charger working, it may take 4 hours to put in a substantial charge and 14 to 18 hours for a full charge. The deeply discharged batteries may benefit from 24 hours of charging depending on how long they were below 12.4 volts in storage.

While you are waiting, look up reset procedures for the inverter charger and the RV management system. Until you get a sustained voltage above 12.0 volts, many things may not reset and work correctly.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #9

Welcome to the CC Clan. Looks like a previous owner changed out the Xantrex to a Magnum (As you mentioned Magnum.). Pretty good chance it's a MS2812, which were a popular/good unit, for this swap. Could be an MSH3012 too, also a good unit.

I'd go slow and easy. TwinBoats suggestion is a positive first step. It's a KISS approach to getting the Chassis up enough to start the coach again. Once that is done, you can then go thru the other steps, IF needed...

New coaches take awhile to learn all of the systems, and coaches that have been modified from OEM will take sometime to sort out the in this case, the paths of charging! Some keep the Echo Charger, which feeds the Chassis once the House ready a proper charge. And other's swap out the Echo Charger with the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner at the same time to go the Magnum Inverter/Charger (Other options for that duty also exist!... So taking the time to sort out the paths of charging for your specific rig, will help you thru the learning curve.

And as mentioned, possible you may need to reset the Magnum after you get the batteries charged up some...

Welcome, and have fun. That's a great era of Country Coach Magna you have! Enjoy the purr of the C12...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #10

So...

Went and purchased a 20amp charger. After going to 6 stores... Frazzled.

Now up to 20% charge (chassis batts)

Enough for some leds to start Coming on.

Can't get the gen set to come out to check bkr. Trying to start gen does nothing.

I do have the smart battery combiner from magnum

I walked away and am leaving it on the charger for 2-3 hours before I go back to it.

I have the house Batts up above 13v.

Chassis were at 7.5

Need to find those electrical drains and leave the magnum breaker shut so it can charge from shore power.

I'll have to figure out the magnum reset process.

Xfer switch is in electric bay by magnum

Still can't get shore power to register on main panel. Thinking I did something to xfer switch since I can't figure out any other components in line.

More to come. Maybe with new batteries...

One day of camping replaced by chasing most likely self inflicted electrical issues so far...
Old 09-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #11

Switch the portable charger over to charge the chassis battery. At 7 volts, it appears it is not being charged through the bridge circuit.

Let the chassis charge progress and the house battery rest for 3 hours. If house battery stays above 13 volts, then it is charging through the bridge circuit. If it is not charging through the bridge circuit, voltage will slowly drop to "static" level.

Letting the house battery rest without charging for 3 hours will allow you to see its state of charge (SoC).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Charging Lead Acid Bat.pdf (131.4 KB, 9 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #12

Not that I am fully up and running...

But, I have it figured out. (Thank you all)

Chassis Batts still below Magnum reset voltage. Magnum goes into full protection mode at 11.5 volts (or so)

Currently have chassis batts at 12.9 v. Magnum will not reset until they are at 13.3.

I can get the main panel to accept shore power IF the engine is running and chassis voltage appears sufficient. But, as soon as the engine is off, so is shore power.

Sooooo, using this time to go out to breakfast and allow the external charger to get the chassis Batts up to 13.3v. THEN maybe we can head out to camp...

Thanks all. Learning...
Old 09-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #13

And that learning experience - has proven to be a fun, and at times, exasperating experience - at least for me! That's why it's so cool to have fellow CC owner's to network with during the 'scratching the head' moments...

One tip on the SBC. Depending upon who did the install, and which directions they followed... You could have two inline fuses (1 to the Chassis, 1 to the House)... We blew the 25A Blade Fuse to the Chassis about three times. (First time, I did not notice it was blown, until the MCI screens started rolling up real slow on the front!)

I called and talked with Magnum Tech Support after the third fuse was blown, this was over about a 2 year period. The Tech asked suggested that I change to a 30A Blade Fuse. And that seemed to take care of the problem (And the wire gauge was supportive of the 30A, the Tech had me validate.). Went many years without any issues with the fuse blowing to the chassis with the SBC. Though I'll share, that the new owner of the Allure called about a month ago, and had a dead chassis battery... And that fuse was blown. He was going to double check that the battery posts and grounds were all in good shape.

Enjoy your coach, and if the SBC does not seem to be changing at times - check to see if your install has the 25A inline fuses!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical