Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

2004 era Electric Carefree Awning

Our 2004 Allure 31017 coach, has the Carefree Electric Awning, as well as the Carefree Electric over the entry door awning.

We've found the main awning to be next to useless in two important conditions:
1) Any rain more then a drizzle. The awing quickly fills up, and then due to the weight the mechanism seems to temporally give away (probably on purpose) and dump the water. (No way to angle the awning anymore then it is, and it's just not enough to let the water runoff.)

2) Anything close to a moderate wind, and the awning flaps around in distress, until it finally comes in automatically due to the sensor. (We've adjusted the sensor level some on this.) (Not being able to angle the awning, or assist it with the tie downs like we did with our older coach I feel makes the awning less then ideal. Can't even angle it down for sun protection.)

So, question on what owners that have the same 2004 era Carefree manual big awning feel about it's quality? I've located a used one from a salvaged 2004 Intrigue, but don't want to add it if it's not of good quality(?).

I've seem some CC's with I believe ZipDee awnings, that also extend over the top of the entry door. I'd actually prefer this, and just get rid of both of the electric units. (Our door awning motor is out, and I've not bothered replacing it at this time.)

Opinions please on the quality levels of the Carefree and ZipDee, and other(?) manual swings.

TIA, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
wathing
Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #3

Wathing - "Stalkerishly watching someone or something bathe." via the Urban Dictionary...

And if this was the comment - I resemble that when the awning fills up and dumps!!

!
Smitty
Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching this sorry for misspelling
Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
watching this sorry for misspelling
! Sort of suspected that was the case~~!

But it sure seemed to fit the dumping of built up water with our existing Carefree...

I was also just made aware that possibly that the 04 Intrigue Carefree Awing I see with conventional looking arms, is probably an electric one too. It is adjustable as far as angle, but not pit. So would probably be better the the almost straight out one that we have.

Wish I had taken a picture of he bit older Magna I saw with the Zip Dee that spanned over the front door too...

Keeping my eyes out for another one.

Best,
Smitty (Or in the theme of our last two threads, Smytti!)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smitty, We have the Carefree Eclipse awning..... not sure if it is exactly like yours. Mine does have a fair amount of adjustment from end-to-end to allow water to drain off. I also have the down angle adjusted to the max so the fabric barely clears the top of my galley slide when it is deployed. So, it drains water from the aft end of the awning pretty good and provides some shade.

That said, it is rare that we leave it deployed in heavy rains since they are usually associated with some wind. As you noted, it is a pretty weak and flimsy thing in wind. We spend a fair amount of time in Myrtle Beach, SC and I do see some folks with the same awnings tie them down. I guess they disable the wind sensor. I have never done that.

This is the first coach we've had with an automatic awning. If I ever have to replace this one, I will want to try a manual awning if I can find one that will fit the coach. One major issue regarding replacement with any awning, manual or auto, is my existing hardware is gold and no one makes that now.

I miss my manual awnings. One was a Carefree and the other was A&E. I could adjust them to shed water, provide real shade and tie them down to handle all but the worst wind conditions.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

I knew I researched this once before, as I had some notes in my To Do list of upgrades and improvements. (And interesting enough, with cost no object, I had narrowed it down to Girard awnings...) Also interesting, I looked at how my wife and I had prioritized it on the To Do list as our yearly retirement budget allowance for coach notifications (Separate budget the yearly maintenance.), had this 3rd from the bottom. Pulled the list out to share with my wife, and we went back over it from now about 6 years ago, and updated the priority of a few items. Dang if the awning upgrade item still remains towards the bottom, though up two slots now!

I had estimated $10-15K range for new (Not all around, but for the main, and for repairing over the door.) I had a second estimate of $5-10K for used, with a note about body work and painting being the same either new or used. I had a third option penciled out, that retained the Carefree Mirage electric main awning, but then tucked a used one in down below it. As this would reduce the costs of having to do the body repair and painting of removing the old Mirage. With a note that the wife thought that might look funny too, having tow awnings. But I had "LT $5K" note on this. (These were SWAGS on price ranges, from reading many posts, a few emails, and then some conversations with the RV Repair Facility I was using at that time.)

So, long way around on this. And will be checking with OMC to see if the Carefree from that Intrigue might be able to mount below the Mirage. (Still trying to confirm if this is a KISS (My preferred.) manual, or the Electric Carefree but at least with arms to tilt it more for the sun and rain. Hoping a CC member with that era coach and the Carefree main awing with arms going down the side of the coach, will let me know if theirs are electric or manual.

Here is the link to some research back around the 2013 time:

Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

And note, our retirement budget line item for yearly upgrades to the coach, was cut in half due the sticker shock of Pre 65 Health Insurance post ACA. (Incredible, budget busting, now about four times higher then our pre ACA quotes for Health Care, and get to pay more, for less coverage too... So the reality of current times, has us on a Upgrade Diet for our budget until I hit 65, and we get some reduction in Health Care costs!

Us slowing down on our yearly upgrades, has turned out to be OK. We still enjoy our coach, we would not have bought it if it was not something we liked. And a few of the items we thought we'd like to modify/upgrade - we removed from our list during this last review.

Bet to all, and still would appreciate any 'Have you thought about this...' approaches to main swings,
Smitty
Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Smitty, I have an 04 Allure, 36', #30997, with the same awnings. I have had no problems with the main awning, however, in the last year or two, I have noticed my wind sensor no longer works. I read the manual, did a couple of diagnostics, but did not locate the problem. Will have to explore that further, time permitting.

I have had no problem with "water pooling" in any rain condition, light or hard. My awning comes down straight to the full extension and any water drains off one end or the other. Was not aware if there is an adjustment I could do to raise one end higher than the other but I probably wouldn't do it as mine works fine the way it is.

I have had a problem with the door awning since buying the coach new. First trip out, it wouldn't retract so had to remove it from the coach and store it below till I returned home and could take it in. Dealer "fixed" it but shortly thereafter, it's still broken as it goes out OK but retracts VERY slowly. Push the button and it retracts an inch, then runs out of steam and stops. Ten to 15 seconds later, do the same and after an hour, it is finally in. I don't bother using it anymore and haven't found anybody close to look at it.

Other than this one over the door, haven't had any problems with any of the awnings, even over the slideouts or windows.

Ask away if you have any additional ??s. joe
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Monaco with the Carefree electric awning. I had it installed when I bought the coach and told them to NOT install the wind sensor.

I had a wind sensor on my previous RV and finally disabled it. Worthless.

The only problem I've had over the past 11 years is that when the 12 volts to the awning motor is low then the awning has a hard time retracting.

When they installed it they picked up 12 volts from a light near the door. If the light is on it drops the voltage enough in certain circumstances to cause problems retracting.

One end cap cover came off but other than that I'm a happy camper.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning