Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

Keep a eye on the frame where the front track bar mounts they can crack. If it does Eric has a fix for it.

Eric OlstromOlstrom Custom Coach LLC
8300 E Valencia Rd #4
Tucson Az, 85747
520-624-2024
www.olstromcc.com

C-13 will respond to some mods esp custom tunes and some hard parts.
Check out posts on OTR forums, Kurt Murry-Mr Haney, forum handle is the best.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #16

What is a 625 CAT?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
What is a 625 CAT?
The OTR's, considered it the King of the Hill!

Smitty

https://www.google.com/search?q=cate...client=gws-wiz
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #18

aknavy - I wish you luck on your hunt! And I also wanted to share the opinion that a 45' Magna/Affinity (Basically the same coaches, from 2005 and on. Affinity's all had custom paint, and flush mounted windows - as the main differences between the lines. Those flush mounted windows look slick, but are more problematic then the non-flush window frames on the Magna and other CC's. IF they start to leak, and it is not caught relatively quickly, some sidewall's have had to be repaired as a result. And both Magna and Affinity windows will have gasket problems with vapor between the panels. The Affinity flush windows can be repaired, as can the Magna's, but at a higher cost point - and with a smaller number of window companies with the talent to do so.), that these RV's are not really going to get you off road very far. They're heavy, and as mentioned even raised some, ground clearance is going to be a problem. Did I mention they're heavy?

Our 04 Allure 40' with Tag, being both shorter and lighter, was able to carefully go off on dirt roads to do boon docking. We would usually disconnect the toad, and go scout out an area as close to the pavement as practically possible, and leave a chair at the place we'd picked. Then head back and get the Allure. And we did do lots of boon docking on our Alaska trip.

IMO, for minimal boon docking, an 40' and under Allure or Intrigue would serve you better. An Intrigue with the C12, would be a good sweet spot between the Magna and the Allure, and the C12 vs ISL has plenty of power for a 40' (Maybe even a 42'.) coach.

When we shifted to the Magna, we did it knowing we'd not be visiting a few of our more favorite spots and or campgrounds. But we knew that going in, and made the decision to move to the 45' Magna knowing this...

And sure, some will take 45' coaches of any brand out into the boonies - most come back out too (Some being towed, as they get caught!!), but they're IMO not suited for much off roading!

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 09-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
What is a 625 CAT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
The OTR's, considered it the King of the Hill!
There used to be a 08 Magna Galileo, with an after EPA CAT 625hp engine; beautiful inside out with a reasonable price, offered by a dealer in Seattle. It had been listed on craigslist for a long time, even as recently as about a month ago. I anticipate the new owner to show up here with it soon .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 magna.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	342710  
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:47 PM   #20

Quote:
What is a 625 CAT?
A 625 Cat is a C15 (15 liter Caterpillar engine) produces 625HP and approximately 1950 Foot pounds of torque. Similar to a Cummins ISX 600. It like the ISX600 Cummins is today was the big boy of the past.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #21

I bet you could burn rubber with that in a CC!
Old 09-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #22

Even though they are rated similar to the ISX600 I believe the C15 625 Cat is truly the bad boy in the crowd.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #23

Yep...plus no Head problems that Cummins refuses to admit.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #24

Quote:
aknavy - I wish you luck on your hunt! And I also wanted to share the opinion that a 45' Magna/Affinity (Basically the same coaches, from 2005 and on. Affinity's all had custom paint, and flush mounted windows - as the main differences between the lines. Those flush mounted windows look slick, but are more problematic then the non-flush window frames on the Magna and other CC's. IF they start to leak, and it is not caught relatively quickly, some sidewall's have had to be repaired as a result. And both Magna and Affinity windows will have gasket problems with vapor between the panels. The Affinity flush windows can be repaired, as can the Magna's, but at a higher cost point - and with a smaller number of window companies with the talent to do so.), that these RV's are not really going to get you off road very far. They're heavy, and as mentioned even raised some, ground clearance is going to be a problem. Did I mention they're heavy?

Our 04 Allure 40' with Tag, being both shorter and lighter, was able to carefully go off on dirt roads to do boon docking. We would usually disconnect the toad, and go scout out an area as close to the pavement as practically possible, and leave a chair at the place we'd picked. Then head back and get the Allure. And we did do lots of boon docking on our Alaska trip.

IMO, for minimal boon docking, an 40' and under Allure or Intrigue would serve you better. An Intrigue with the C12, would be a good sweet spot between the Magna and the Allure, and the C12 vs ISL has plenty of power for a 40' (Maybe even a 42'.) coach.

When we shifted to the Magna, we did it knowing we'd not be visiting a few of our more favorite spots and or campgrounds. But we knew that going in, and made the decision to move to the 45' Magna knowing this...

And sure, some will take 45' coaches of any brand out into the boonies - most come back out too (Some being towed, as they get caught!!), but they're IMO not suited for much off roading!

Best to you,
Smitty

Thanks for all the information! How much heavier is the Magna compared to you other coach?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Thanks for all the information! How much heavier is the Magna compared to you other coach?
High level weights (From memory on the Allure.):

2004 Allure GVWR = 44.8K
2007 Magna GVWR = 52K

Another important value is CCC:

Allure (High Cascade 40', 2 Slide) CCC = 11.8K
Magna (Rembrandt 45;, 4 Slide, with ISX) CCC = 4.3K

And note fully loaded, full fuel and water - the Allure was about 37K, as we traveled. (Heavier batteries, and solar, and J-Lounge Wine Cellar stocked)

And also note, 'useable weight' can be deceptive. I know many people with coaches that have high CCC's, but in real world, no practical way to use it. Their front end axles were near the maximum weight limit rolling out of the manufacturer. And no real way to use 2, 4, 5K or so CCC over the drive/tag... As not enough cabinet or basement space to haul things. So far, from a few of the side of the road weight scales we've rolled over, our Magna has still had reserved front axle capacity. (The allure was also well proportioned weight wise too...)

I have not yet been able to get a 'four corner weight' for our still, usage wise, new to us Magna! And when it comes to weight, 'four corner' is the most important to me. (And that is also because, I know we're towing a relatively non taxing weight wise toad load. Those with Toy Haulers or Stackers - well, again, actual weights are important!)

Smitty
Old 09-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #26

Quote:
High level weights (From memory on the Allure.):

2004 Allure GVWR = 44.8K
2007 Magna GVWR = 52K

Another important value is CCC:

Allure (High Cascade 40', 2 Slide) CCC = 11.8K
Magna (Rembrandt 45;, 4 Slide, with ISX) CCC = 4.3K

And note fully loaded, full fuel and water - the Allure was about 37K, as we traveled. (Heavier batteries, and solar, and J-Lounge Wine Cellar stocked)

And also note, 'useable weight' can be deceptive. I know many people with coaches that have high CCC's, but in real world, no practical way to use it. Their front end axles were near the maximum weight limit rolling out of the manufacturer. And no real way to use 2, 4, 5K or so CCC over the drive/tag... As not enough cabinet or basement space to haul things. So far, from a few of the side of the road weight scales we've rolled over, our Magna has still had reserved front axle capacity. (The allure was also well proportioned weight wise too...)

I have not yet been able to get a 'four corner weight' for our still, usage wise, new to us Magna! And when it comes to weight, 'four corner' is the most important to me. (And that is also because, I know we're towing a relatively non taxing weight wise toad load. Those with Toy Haulers or Stackers - well, again, actual weights are important!)

Smitty

That is a huge weight difference for sure!
Old 09-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
That is a huge weight difference for sure!
Yes it is! And I neglected to point out that the differences in the chassis and build of the flooring of these two coaches are substantially different too... I beams are more robust, air bags are bigger, shocks are larger size, flooring has more dampening/layers/and adds rigidity, larger wheels & tires, front Disc brakes, etc., etc.!

Smitty
Old 09-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
The ONLY reason we didn't buy John and Mimis coach was the outside color did not suit us. Their coach had every option we were looking for including solar and was clean on the outside and ultra clean inside. They are pretty good at communicating. I'm pretty sure that's a mobile number.

Cheers;
Chris H

We checked this coach out this weekend. It is very nice, and in great condition. It is just lacking on overall storage space - we are spoiled with a 46 foot toyhauler with a house sized kitchen combined with a semi for storage space, and really like the garage of the toyhauler for office space. So, we'll keep on with the fifth wheel.

As mentioned before, we do alot of boondocking, and break out the blocks pretty often to get level, and the air leveling of the coach seems like it would restrict that a bit, so another strike against it.

Finally, John isn't sure he wants to sell, so there will not be much haggling on the price. Dude has a great coach, and is taking great care of it - if his Kenworths are an example of how he does maintenance, anyone that gets this coach is gonna get a great rig - if he sells it. I was more interested in his semi in the yard than the coach, TBH. It was sexy! Sure couldn't tell it was 25 years old!

Tags
cat