Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #1

2005 Affinity/525 HP Cat

Toying around with the idea of pursuing this. It appears to be immaculate in the pictures, but have not seen in person. Beyond Damon's web site, what do I need to know about this sucker? I'm pretty well versed in the fifth wheel side of the house, but have little motorhome experience other than renting a Tiffin Allegro for a few days.

We like to do some off the beaten path camping - this current swing has had us over a month boondocking in several places around Yellowstone. Any issues with the big coach, other than the size? We're currently around 70 feet long, so used to that frustration.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Ground clearance might limit your travels.

Could be all electric rig.

2005 was the first of the new model years, but those problems should be resolved by now.

Could be a great rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Ground clearance might limit your travels.

Could be all electric rig.

2005 was the first of the new model years, but those problems should be resolved by now.

Could be a great rig.
Thanks for the insight. It looks all electric - electric stove and Aquahot, so not sure what would be propane on it. If I move forward, I have a pretty good solar setup that is transferable.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
They are complicated machines. Very comfortable. They do not 'off road' very easy.
vantango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, what part of the country are you located?
vantango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

I use to own a 2005 Affinity with the 525 Cat. We really like the coach but as with most RV’s it was older and we had to fix a number of things. Fortunately when I had mine the CC service center was still operating but no longer is. No major concerns other than age. It ran good but nothing as good as a 625 Cat or my ISX600 Cummins in my Essex. It drove well down the highway, handled the wind very well (better than my Essex) but mine had a queen bed and was a single bath, and did not have a door awning all things that I am not willing to give up.

Almost everyone who has seen both coaches agree that the CC was a better looking coach and the fit and finish was a bit better. Most of these are things I look back at and realize the differences in the two coaches.

Probably my biggest concern with a CC is that they used a lot of custom unique parts that can be difficult to source at times. Some due to the original suppliers are no longer in business. If you stay in tune with this forum and are resourceful that shouldn’t be a big issue. 2005 was pre emissions so that is good but it is old enough that there are parts that may be worn out. My best advice is make sure it is a good fit, comfortable for you to drive, and the floor plan is what you want.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #7

Well I dont have much to add other than Damon has been stellar in answering my questions in our CC / Monaco search...Helluva nice guy.
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantango View Post

We're in the Utah/Colorado area right now.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
Well I dont have much to add other than Damon has been stellar in answering my questions in our CC / Monaco search...Helluva nice guy.

Good to know, I'll continue to peruse his site.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I use to own a 2005 Affinity with the 525 Cat. We really like the coach but as with most RV’s it was older and we had to fix a number of things. Fortunately when I had mine the CC service center was still operating but no longer is. No major concerns other than age. It ran good but nothing as good as a 625 Cat or my ISX600 Cummins in my Essex. It drove well down the highway, handled the wind very well (better than my Essex) but mine had a queen bed and was a single bath, and did not have a door awning all things that I am not willing to give up.

Almost everyone who has seen both coaches agree that the CC was a better looking coach and the fit and finish was a bit better. Most of these are things I look back at and realize the differences in the two coaches.

Probably my biggest concern with a CC is that they used a lot of custom unique parts that can be difficult to source at times. Some due to the original suppliers are no longer in business. If you stay in tune with this forum and are resourceful that shouldn’t be a big issue. 2005 was pre emissions so that is good but it is old enough that there are parts that may be worn out. My best advice is make sure it is a good fit, comfortable for you to drive, and the floor plan is what you want.

The parts issue does concern me - is it the same issue on the other models that may not use as much high end specialty features?
Old 09-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #11

@aknavy - I have been assured that parts availability is NOT an issue on these older coaches. Specifically, all of the coach manufacturers and parts manufacturers that have gone out of business were bought by companies that are still in the RV business.

If you can figure out who owns what from the parts you need I have been told by a very reliable tech that these new owners can source, or make or know of a modern part equivalent for pretty much everything, including the early adopted tech like heated floors etc.

Further, since you are in the CO/UT area I would highly recommend you reach out to Jim and Mimi on the 2007 Magna they have for sale. We looked it. Beautiful low mileage unit in the Denver area.

You can reach them here - https://www.countrycoachforums.com/

..look in the for sale ads

Good luck in your search
Ch
Old 09-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
The parts issue does concern me - is it the same issue on the other models that may not use as much high end specialty features?
I’m not that familiar with the other models. I believe the Magna was close to an Affinity as for as body parts. The electronics and primary equipment are not an issue. That is all standard parts reasonably available. It’s more like body parts in the event of damage or like the door frames and such. They did make a few on a Prevost chassis that would be a solid rig to.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
@aknavy - I have been assured that parts availability is NOT an issue on these older coaches. Specifically, all of the coach manufacturers and parts manufacturers that have gone out of business were bought by companies that are still in the RV business.

If you can figure out who owns what from the parts you need I have been told by a very reliable tech that these new owners can source, or make or know of a modern part equivalent for pretty much everything, including the early adopted tech like heated floors etc.

Further, since you are in the CO/UT area I would highly recommend you reach out to Jim and Mimi on the 2007 Magna they have for sale. We looked it. Beautiful low mileage unit in the Denver area.

You can reach them here - https://www.countrycoachforums.com/

..look in the for sale ads

Good luck in your search
Ch

Reached out the them via the number I found on the web site, no reply as of yet. If you don't mind me asking, why did you look and not buy?
Old 09-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #14

The ONLY reason we didn't buy John and Mimis coach was the outside color did not suit us. Their coach had every option we were looking for including solar and was clean on the outside and ultra clean inside. They are pretty good at communicating. I'm pretty sure that's a mobile number.

Cheers;
Chris H

Tags
cat